Old 04-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Multi Stage Converter/Charger

I'm sure this topic has been addressed in the past but my search turned up nothing. My batteries need to be replaced but before doing so I want to upgrade to a multi (3) stage converter. My AS is a 2016 25'FC RB & 30 AMP service. My question is what amp converter is compatible with the wiring in my trailer, 35, 45 or 55amp. Also where is the converter/charger located, is it near the breaker box?

TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The convertor is usually located behind the 12 volt DC fuse panel in your breaker box--the bottom half of the unit.

The convertor output is rated in the maximum number of amps it puts out when charging batteries. It has little to do with the 30 amp AC power that the Airstream runs on when connected to shore power.

That said, a 50-55 amp convertor is usually what Airstream puts in, so a similar one is enough. Suggest getting ahold of Randy at BestConvertor and discussing the swap out with him. There are models that replace the guts of the old one easily.
Have the model number and nameplate data from your existing convertor and fuse panel handy when you get hold of him.

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
I'm sure this topic has been addressed in the past but my search turned up nothing. My batteries need to be replaced but before doing so I want to upgrade to a multi (3) stage converter. My AS is a 2016 25'FC RB & 30 AMP service. My question is what amp converter is compatible with the wiring in my trailer, 35, 45 or 55amp. Also where is the converter/charger located, is it near the breaker box?
You want the PD4655. As stated earlier, the unit is the lower section of your power center. Changing mine out on my 23 FB today or tomorrow.

Here is an extensive thread with photos of the installation provided by Snowy, one of our members on here. Very helpful.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...es-162905.html

http://www.bestconverter.com/4600-se...its_c_133.html
Old 04-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
You want the PD4655. As stated earlier, the unit is the lower section of your power center. Changing mine out on my 23 FB today or tomorrow.

Here is an extensive thread with photos of the installation provided by Snowy, one of our members on here. Very helpful.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...es-162905.html

http://www.bestconverter.com/4600-se...its_c_133.html
Thanks for the info & links. My electrical ability is quite limited, so I need to find a RV Tech in Southwest Florida to accomplish this. Ironically, earlier today I contacted JC as I have a service appointment in July and they don't do these upgrades. That surprised me.
TAC FL-47
Old 04-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
I changed mine out to the PD4655 last weekend. It took a little between 1-2 hours. If you order the remote pendant you can skip replacing the 12v circuit board and be done in under an hour. I followed the illustrated instruction thread and ordered it from Best Converter
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Marin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
I changed mine out to the PD4655 last weekend. It took a little between 1-2 hours. If you order the remote pendant you can skip replacing the 12v circuit board and be done in under an hour. I followed the illustrated instruction thread and ordered it from Best Converter
+1 The batteries in my 2017 AS were dated May 2016 and were dead seven months after we took delivery thanks to the stock Parallax unit. Last week, I did the PD4655 swap following the threads referenced above. And definitely buy the pendant that simplifies the process and allows you to monitor the system with just a glance. GL, Dave
Old 04-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Got my 2014 fall of 13 and batteries were gone in 3 months. Dealer replaced them free and I installed the PD4655 and batteries are still performing great after 3 years of always being chard one way or another. Actually waiting for them to die so I can replace with 2 6V, but since they are still going strong I can't justify it yet.🤔
Old 04-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Thanks for the info & links. My electrical ability is quite limited, so I need to find a RV Tech in Southwest Florida to accomplish this. Ironically, earlier today I contacted JC as I have a service appointment in July and they don't do these upgrades. That surprised me.
It will be quite straight forward for an RV tech to install. I'd recommend changing to the included new circuit board as well as getting the remote pendant, so that you always have the option for both, i.e. being able to see the charge status by opening the cover, or using the pendant that mounts outside the cover. But that's just me.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Ordered it today from Best Converter, also have a RV Tech lined up for the install. Thanks again everyone for your imput!

TAC FL-47