Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Mounting a Generator on Rear Bumper AS 25FB

We recently acquired a 2014 Flying Cloud 25FB and will be towing with our 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel (so far it tows great and at 16 MPG!).
My question has to do with the possibility of mounting a small 3600 Watt Ridgid Generator (130 lbs) on the rear bumper because carrying the generator in the back of the Jeep means inhaling gas fumes before the TV gets moving.

Is it possible to mount a generator on the rear bumper?
If so, any suggestions on do's and dont's?

Thank you for any suggestions!
phawk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
how about a 265 lb 7000 watt Honda???
I understand it will change the tongue weight ..

would that be significant on a 30 foot dual axle trailer???

thoughts please

currently I haul it in my cap on the pickup but that takes up a lot of room for junk and all kinds of treasures I find along the way...
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I assume you mentioned that specific make and model of generator because you already own it and aren't interested in replacing it with a lighter-weight generator that is less likely to damage the trailer as you hit potholes and bumps in the road— or a propane-fueled generator that you can carry in the Jeep because when you shut off the flow of propane there are no fumes to breathe.

The ideal setup might be a lighter-weight propane-fueled generator mounted on the trailer tongue and tapped into the propane cylinders you already have on the trailer; and counterbalanced by a ballast load inside the trailer behind the axles (you can use stuff you normally carry in the trailer anyway as ballast, by changing where you carry it) so that you don't exceed the maximum trailer tongue weight for the Jeep.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Given all the expressed concerns on here (search bicycle mounting threads) about mounting 40# of bicycles on the rear bumper and the propensity for shell separation at the rear, I think I'd stay away from something that heavy.

That said, a friend here locally with a nearly new 25' (FC, I think) has two Honda eU2000i generators, one on each rear corner. He bought the trailer from a guy who has a metal fabrication business. I took a quick look at the mounting arrangement and didn't see any reinforcement. But that is still only about 2/3 of the weight you propose. I'd be concerned that much weight would cause problems bouncing down the road.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I would not mount anything heavier than a bicycle on the rear bumper of an Airstream trailer.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The rear bumper is not designed to independently carry that much weight; Airstream sells a bike rack that attaches to the bumper AND shell limited to about 70 lbs of bikes.

The Airstream tongue is limited to 1,000 lbs total hitch weight (it's in the Owners Manual) so it might be possible to keep under that weight total but not likely. Unless you removed the Airstream spare tire and bought AGM batteries (can be used inside without ventilation) and moved them near the rear axle (with some rewiring).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Not a good idea.

Too much weight, too far back from the axles. Not only will this affect the tongue weight, damage the frame and eventually lead to rear end body/frame separation, but it could also negatively affect the towing experience. If your concern is principally the fumes in the tow vehicle, I would get a propane generator. That is what we did.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Thanks everybody for the words of wisdom. I do own the 3600 Watt Ridgid Generator so I have to make do.
Unfortunately, there is no Propane conversion kit for the Subaru EX21 engine that comes with the generator.
Mounting the generator on the front or back bumper of the Airstream seems out of the question (weight, bouncing damage).
I am thinking about carrying the generator inside the AS (behind the rear axle) while in motion, secured with web straping and unloading to the ground when we park for the night.

Any further thoughts from the group? Thanks!
Old 07-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sounds like a decent plan. Always best to load anything heavy above or near the Airstream's axles and centerline for best handling and balance. Note that Airstreams builds them with fridge, range, storage tanks, kitchen grouped on or near the axles and balanced side-to-side.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I second Doug's thoughts. If you can, position the genny so that it's weight will be over the axles as much as possible. There is limited, if any benefit to placing it behind the rear axles. Some might argue that if you wanted to get sophisticated with weighing the trailer, you might be able to position the genny so that it helps overcome some other weight imbalance, but the simplest thing is to place it over the axles so it becomes essentially a neutral element.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Im not sure how large your generator is but I carry mine with a 1 gall gas can inside my Suv inside a plastic bag inside a large tupperware with lid. This helps cut down on smell/fumes.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by phawk33 View Post
Thanks everybody for the words of wisdom. I do own the 3600 Watt Ridgid Generator so I have to make do.
Unfortunately, there is no Propane conversion kit for the Subaru EX21 engine that comes with the generator.
Mounting the generator on the front or back bumper of the Airstream seems out of the question (weight, bouncing damage).
I am thinking about carrying the generator inside the AS (behind the rear axle) while in motion, secured with web straping and unloading to the ground when we park for the night.

Any further thoughts from the group? Thanks!
Options?

How about a "front receiver" on the tow vehicle and an aluminum cargo carrier from harbor freight.
That's how we do it!

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Options?

How about a "front receiver" on the tow vehicle and an aluminum cargo carrier from harbor freight.
That's how we do it!

-Dennis
As with the trailer, when you add weight beyond the axles it can be a stability problem. The momentum of the extra weight out there in even a slight sway condition makes it a little more difficult for the front of the truck to return to a straight line. And the effect of the weight is increased by its distance from the center of the axles. Best to center loads when possible.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Options?

That's how we do it!

-Dennis
This probably transfers more weight than a WD hitch, as a bonus.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Here's a propane conversion kit for a 3600w Ridgid with a Subaru engine:

RD903600 Generator Tri-Fuel Natural Gas and Propane Conversion Kits
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
For phawk33. Loved what Protagonist had to add (because of what I did.) Mounted a 142# dual fueled 3500 watt on the tongue and eliminated full 20# bottle use, although I keep a 20 pounder forward in my Escalade EXT (a fancy pickup) for emergency use and to refill my 1 pound bottles. So I do not know how you'll handle your 20 pounders which you are unfortunately tied to. In the Jeep or elsewhere you will be required to store bottles in a sealed or vented vessel as 20 pounders can "gas' i.e. "vent". On my wheeled generator I added 2 removeable 19" dropdown extensions on the side opposite the roll around handles. These drop downs have the wheels attached. To remove the generator I bolt on these extensions and flip up the handles an remove the generator from the tongue. I only move the generator inside the AS when away ( to prevent theft). But this is easy for me as I no longer have a step. I use a slant ramp sometimes and am in the process of an airbag suspension retrofit to for a full kneel down. This to make an easy step up height when ramp is not in place. Since my 1958 Caravanner frame was not to be trusted I added 2" "L" angle steel front to back on each on each rail. Therefore I eliminated any frame flex at front or rear. I put my spare on the rear bumper modified to resemble the 1950s continental kits on cars. I don't how you solve your possible frame issues. My weight and balance was easy for two reasons. First, on a single axle like mine = simple calculations but yours not so. Second I gutted the Caravanner to 2180 pounds and replanned the interior to an exact 300 pound tongue weight. Easy for me as the EXT holds wood (for wood stove heat), kerosene, gasoline, 1 gallon water bottles, 18 each point source 1 pound propane bottles, the slant tamp, Foldable "Little Red Wagon" et.al. I do not have a propane frig, propane hot water heater ( I use a pressurized turkey fryer with foot air pump for shower), or installed stove/ oven. You'll have to leave propane on tongue , use the generator and spare tire for balance . I do not envy your problems.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:56 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Lots of options to consider but definitely not mounting on the bumper!
After careful consideration I have opted to build a light, plywood enclosure to place over the generator inside the SUV. The enclosure will be fitted with a polyethylene liner to enclose the fumes harmless. We'll keep you posted how this works.
Thanks again for the many responses from the Community!
Old 07-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
Colleas,

Nice to see the Lil Nomad is still kickin' it.

Dennis and Pam

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado

We use these on set. You could set up a "train?"
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Personally, I feel Airstream should get with it & engineer a built in propane generator for those willing to pay for it, I know I would.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote