Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Four 80 Watt panels, MMPT device, 4 220amp 6 volt batteries. Ran the fridge on DC last weekend during the day with both fantastics and still had 100% charge when we hooked up to leave. I don't even bother to plug in the AC shore line anymore, even at home, except to top off before a trip. Something the panels do better with good sun anyway.
Put the panel on the trailer and get another for the other side.Park in the sun. Get enough Battery to suck up the juice when it's available.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I just read the first and last rant about your wonderful Airstream; I don't want to be rude, but it sounds to me like you need to sell that piece of aluminum junk to some-one who would appreciate it. Then buy yourself a tent, a solar/wind-up flashlight, and two good books. [problem solved] You are obviously not enjoying this trailer if you have turn everything off or not use anything that your trailer was built with.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk View Post
1 - Paralax(ive) 7300
1 - 'Propane'... NOT heater
11 - halogen lights (I'll keep 10 for posterity )
1 - Sony LCD TV
1 - Sony AMP/DVD player
1 - obsolete multi disk CD changer
1 - huge ball of wire found behind the AMP/DVD player
1 - noisy power hog of a fridge fan
2 - poor Interstate batteries that couldn't keep up with it all
1 - battery box that is WAY to small

At least the solar panel won't go curb side... will likely get some good coin for it...
Dave,

Did you throw out all that stuff? Sell the solar system? How are you dealing with electricity?

I have 2 tents I'll trade with you for your Airstream.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #24
_

. , .
some times ranting is a good thing

or healthy catharsis.

besides EVERY issue mentioned above has entire threads (or volumes of threads) dedicated to each item.

and 4 the record, dave loves his stream AND has done the tent thing...

he still does a tear drop thing too, as i recall.

the notion of using expanding FOAM to fill these gaps is troubling...

aluminum TAPE or foil, or metal wool or spun fiber pads (s-brite)...

or even riveted scraps of aLUMinUM, seem like better materials to use.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Hey Robert,

Na... you missed my point, we love our Dave Winick Bambi! Just ranting about some basic structure and designs issues that Airstream continues to have overlooked for 3/4 of a century. We are so enjoying our trailer, but it does kind of tick you off when for the price they skimp on a few cents of caulking, cut out rough holes, use inefficient// antiquated appliances and can't make a container that can contain stuff

I'm fixing all their mistakes as we go.. no biggie. Next item to fix will likely be replacing the battery box so there is a little bit of room for my little battery shunt for the Link 10 monitor and address the loud hamming of the unprotected water lines

So I'll definately be keeping my Airstream, but I might rant on once in a while because these are very simple items that should have been addressed a long long time ago by Airstream.

PS. You got it 2air... we tented for years, still have the Teardrop for short trips. Have spend 7 weeks in the Bambi so far this year.

Only used the expansion foam in 3 places under the chassis to ensure mice can't get in. The roll of duct tape that I had covered all the other rough holes inside. Not pretty.. but its what I had. Not a great picture looking inside things and seeing that so many holes had to be covered up with ugly tape...
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Any comment 2air on the back compartment having a large gab that allows things to fall out on the highway?
Old 08-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
some times ranting is a good thing
or healthy catharsis.
cheers
2air'
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ead-60297.html
Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I guess you won't be trading your Airstream for our tents. Didn't think you would either.

Yes, rants are good things sometimes, and I surely have done my share, often about the poor QC and design issues of Airstreams.

Gene
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #29
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk View Post
Any comment 2air on the back compartment having a large gab that allows things to fall out on the highway?
yeah that's been an issue for a long time on some of the safari/bambi models...

of course it COULD B that bambi needs her running gear balanced...

the sad thing is this...

the CLASSIC models are simply better finished and with MORE details, in terms of these issues...

fewer random OPENings, tighter fit on the belly pan/banana wrap,

and almost no holes near the steps or bumpers or A frame for critters to hitch a ride...

and the under bumper sliding drawer fits better (it is still not WATER tight by any measure)

there are easily 100 places on the outer structure of safari, clouds, bambi and internationals...

that are more tightly finished on the classics.

but most buyers don't care because of the interior look and feel.

and as customers we are entirely to blame for where the models/lines and trim are headed...

a/s builds what sells and most new buyers want shiny interior walls and techy laminates.

folks care more about the mp3 connections or token led bulbs or a "new" color palate...

than the water capacity or furnace ducting, or storage finish/fit assembly.

so a/s will continue to DEcontent critical elements that most don't appreciate...

while featuring gloss and sparkle and 'wenge' innovations.

there is NO QUESTION some design glitches continue to roll out of production

because they can ROLL 'em out that way,

and folks will still gobble da turkeys up.

ok, that's my rant 42day.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Gillette , Wyoming
Having bought our 2009 model AS this year and now giving it its initial shakedown cruises, I am starting to find out many of the issues Dave is pointing out about the design/construction of these beasts also. There have been a few disappointments, but overall, we are in love with our Flying Cloud!

A good question to 2Airishuman...why does foam sealing trouble you?
GAS_Wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I've used expandable spray can sealing foam with success...

It will deteriorate if exposed to UV outside light from the sun - spraying any external surface with a heavy quality paint will help here - I use a silver spray paint that has solids in it...

Rodents will chew through sealing foam - again, painting helps here...maybe the inserting of some SS steel wool before applying the foam would allow more protection...

Sealing foam, if over-used and contained in an area could force some components apart or distort the area - those expanding bubbles can have a great force if contained without a relief area...

The cured foam could absorb some moisture and wick it up into the floor boards, I suppose...but proper application with several coats of a thick spray paint should ward off those problems...

I've used sealing foam around batteries without a hold down that are somewhat 'loose' inside a battery box - holds em' from shifting around, and it can be easily 'chipped' away when it comes time to replace em' - again spraying the cured foam with some black paint to match the battery...

I like the stuff, but there may be some downsides I'm not aware of...

Ray
Old 08-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #32
_

. , .
ray has started a good list of spray foam issues.

the water holding and INEVITABLE deterioration in a vvvvvibrrrrattttting structure are problems.

the fact that foams need to be COVERED with paint means 2 steps where ONE step is effect with the right materials.

many spray foams do NOT react well with metals like aluminum and can INCREASE corrosion.

not that corrosion is an issue on newer streams...

many isocyanate foams are irritants, known carcinogens and extremely reactive with metals...

the polyurethane foams are SAFER and more water resistant

but still not recommended around aluminum and may still promote corrosion.

spray foams work great around WOOD, or plaster board or paper or plastic or steel...

but that is typical for building construction not usually part of a stream or rolling aluminum can ...

holding water pipes still in/near wood flooring might be an ok application for foam,

but simple tie downs or screwed down brackets work nicely too and can be REused or RE positioned.

and HOLES on the undersides of streams are best made smaller with materials like those listed earlier.

aluminum tape for example is amazingly good stuff as is glass fiber pads or riveted pieces of skin.

get a pop rivet gun or a large bag of aluminum screws and some aluminum tape...

these are essential repair tools (along with duct tape in a pinch) that DO play well with our trailers...

i'm no materials expert or construction wizard but spray foam in/on my stream isn't likely to happen.

i'd rather feed the mice cheese or peanut butter.

cheers
2air'

Old 08-18-2010, 01:47 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
Foam Eating Vermin

In general I agree with 2air on the foam usage.

I used foam to fill some holes the citrus rats were coming thru into my Fl. house. They ate thru it and continued to use the same hiway as before.

I didn't know about the corrosion issues with alum., though. I know some guys on the Spartan Trailer site that might be regretting their choice of insulation materials on a few 60+ year old trailers.

1949 Spartan Mansion (30')
at_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I think I've got it now, thanks 2air, I'm going to coat my foamed rodent holes with peanut butter to shut out the UV rays...

OK, OK, another attempt at some late night humor...

Ray
Old 08-18-2010, 06:35 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
2air is always full of excellent insight.

The foam I used contains MDI monomer, polyurethane resin and propane/isobutane.. yuck. I'll see about spraying some paint over it on our next trip.

Ps. I promise not to use any more foam
Old 08-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #36
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
If you do use spray foam, and there are few uses for it in a trailer, note there are two kinds—one expands a lot and the other doesn't. Read the can carefully. It's great for insulating a house, not good for mouse prevention. The expanding foam will distort relatively enclosed areas.

Gene
Old 08-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #37
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'm a fan of aluminum screen - used works just fine and there's often a neighbor here in the country that is re-screening his porch.

It crumples into whatever shape you need and will stay where you put it, usually. If you find it needs a little adhesive, a dab of silicone, goop or any other stuff will work.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #38

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

and as customers we are entirely to blame for where the models/lines and trim are headed...

a/s builds what sells and most new buyers want shiny interior walls and techy laminates.

folks care more about the mp3 connections or token led bulbs or a "new" color palate...

than the water capacity or furnace ducting, or storage finish/fit assembly.

so a/s will continue to DEcontent critical elements that most don't appreciate...

while featuring gloss and sparkle and 'wenge' innovations.

there is NO QUESTION some design glitches continue to roll out of production

because they can ROLL 'em out that way,

and folks will still gobble da turkeys up.

ok, that's my rant 42day.

cheers
2air'
There is no reason that Airstream should put less thought and effort into the design and construction of trailers that don't have cabinets that look like they were salvaged from a 1982 tract home and textiles your grandmother would love on her sofa.

Your "it's the market's fault" rant would be dead-on if there were the option to buy the trailer with all the Classic construction techniques and more modern finish work on the inside but everyone chose to go for the poorer construction with their modern style, perhaps to save a few $ on the purchase.

This is something I wrestle with as I think about what sort of trailer I really want... there are good prices to be had in the used market, but I'd want to redo the interior in addition to all the mechanical rework I can expect... I like the modern look of the recent Safari/FC/International trailers, but you're suggesting that they're structurally/mechanically inferior to contemporary Classics... What's a design geek to do?
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #39
_

. , .
thanks for posting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
...Your "it's the market's fault" rant would be dead-on if there were the option to buy the trailer with all the Classic construction techniques and more modern finish work on the inside...
actually this IS possible,

but the shellz gotta go to a shop in colorado for the refined interior and with a LOT added to the final price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
you're suggesting that they're structurally/mechanically inferior to contemporary Classics... What's a design geek to do?
well that's one reasonable interpretation.

and i do agree there are SOME models that are structurally inferior...

and some structural/mechanical ISSUES that are REcurrent problems.

but the point was more related to DETAILING and subtle user valuable features that are gradually being LOST...

and replaced with 'pre fab'd' ikea like items that can only be REPLACEd (not repaired) when they break or wear.

for example solid wood can be REfinished for decades, while laminates don't easily transition this way.

the tacky/dated interior LOOK of the classic lines...

could be totally transformed into a modern/urban/metro cool, without a LOTTA effort or cash ...

and without LOSING the inherent value and durability and subtle user valuable travel features.

but i see NO evidence that a/s is trying to do this, it's simply easier to toss out the older materials

and throw in poorly made stuff that LOOKs current but won't REMAIN useable for decades.

the crap screwed to the walls and floors and called an "interior" is mostly junk.

and the utility of many bits is being LOST as the interiors evolve...

for example...

the classics came with a DEEP sink in the lav, mine is 10-12 inches deep.

so one could hand wash garments that MIGHT be needed when no laundry is nearby.

while tiny shallow birdbath styled sinks are basically useless for the rv/traveler.

savy rv'ers known some of their needs

and if the unit doesn't HAVE that stuff end up trying to ADD it.

while back yard "ain't she pretty" buyers never get THAT deep into the game.

and a/s is gradually DROPPING the hidden features that cost money to include

and aren't OBVIOUS or initially important... to new "design geeks".

the OP in this thread has one of the FEW recent builds

that was tried AND succeeded at blending retro/modern/utility with hip design that will survive decades.

unfortunately the winick model elements didn't transition to LONGER units, as WE HOPED.

because it was cheaper and easier to take a few ccd type surfaces and tweak the colors.

one is a TRAVEL'n trailer with travelin' amenities and the other is something else.

the classics represent a HOLD OVER from the time when a/s was STILL building units for heavier use, longer trips and more time in service.

cheers
2air'

Old 08-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I just did a two week trip with my Argosy Minuet in Canada. Like Dave, I had some mice get into the trailer (killed seven of them!)

Although there is ranting about the modern trailers, there are lots of nooks and crannies in my "good old days" trailer for mice to mingle as well. I saw one poke its head out into the pantry from behind/underneath the curved profile of the shower pan - no good way for me to get back into that... At least I can get fully under and within the spaces under the gaucho and dinette.

That said, I spent 10 nights boondocking (with not much towing inbetween to recharge) with no battery woes at all. (Of course, my basic trailer lacks the amenities of the new ones...or the voltage drain of the new fridges...and I went all LEDs inside...and it was summer...and your mileage will vary...)

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote