Old 07-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Yarmouth , Maine
Question Mild Electrical Buzz (shock?)

Greetings...Hope everyone is doing well. After a 4 week stay at a park, we safely returned our AS to its 'parking' spot on our property (specially made raised gravel landing with a wooden frame - like a raised garden filled with gravel). We always hook up electricity (15 amp) and city water. This afternoon, while opening the door so I could air out the unit, I felt a slight electrical 'buzz' while holding onto the door. Yes, I was barefoot but standing on dry ground (it's been in the 90's in Maine!) This is the first time I have ever felt an elctrical current while opening the door. Pardon my analogy, but if you've ever tested a 9-volt battery on the tip of your tongue, it felt similar on my fingers while touching the door (but very weak). Any idea what might be happening? Should I be concerned? Needless to say, I decided to leave the AS 'as is' and not worry too much about airing it out (at least until I have a better understanding of what's causing the buzz)

Old 07-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
At minimum, you should have a GFIC circuit breaker or outlet feeding your trailer. I expect if you did, you would find it shuts off, indicating some kind of electrical issue in your unit.

For around $15 you can get a GFIC outlet at any electrical place, Home Depot, Lowe's and hardware stores. Buy one, replace the outlet you are plugged into with it, and see what happens.

If it trips out, get back to us, someone can help.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, in almost, if not all, cases that I have read about, the problem ends up being a bad ground. Always have a polarity checker in your trailer.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Hot Skin RV proximity test full scale - YouTube

Please watch this video presentation. Concern, yes.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it reminds me of the scene when Frankenstein is brought to life!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, in almost, if not all, cases that I have read about, the problem ends up being a bad ground. Always have a polarity checker in your trailer.
And sometimes combined with an outlet with reversed polarity.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Yarmouth , Maine
Unhappy

Thanks for the replies, including the video (yikes!). I disconnected the power until we can test further. Prior to the 'buzz', there was an event that occurred the prior day, and I wonder if it's related. I was in the trailer and decided to cool it down by turning on the air conditioner. It was on for about 3 minutes then shut down. I turned it off and sheepishly told my husband 'something was wrong'. He reminded me that the air cannot run on 15 amp shore power. He reset the breaker on home electrical panel and everything works fine in the AS. Of course I turned off the air conditioner, so I'm unsure if I caused any damage to this unit. Two questions: Might this have anything to do with the 'buzz' on the outerskin of the trailer? Should I have concerns that I may have damged the AC unit? Needless to say, I've disconnected the electrical source to the AS and placed it in 'store' for now. Thanks for your advice.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you have a metal tongue jack in contact with the ground, the improper wiring (reversed neutral and ac high) will cause the breaker to blow and protect you. If you have wood or plastic blocks under your jack post that defeats the purpose, and you are not protected. That is why they inspect for proper grounding at the International and Region Rallies. A $3 checker will tell you if the outlets are properly wired. I carry a little one in my truck side door pocket to test before I park. I hate it when I take the effort to back into a site, only to find no electricity or bad wiring.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Indiana , Pennsylvania
I had the same problem with the screen door shocking me. I made sure my grounds were tight and replaced the original shore power plug and that seemed to fix the problem for me. Here is some good information on preventing electrical shock:
Camper Grounding to Prevent Electrical Schock - Sunline Coach Owner's Club
Also like others have said get a cheap or expensive outlet tester. I have a cheap one and it works well.
Hoppershot75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
No Shock Zone

SureTest Analyzer - Reverse Polarity Bootleg Ground Testing - YouTube

Folks, I sorta found Mike Sokols videos and electrical power inspections on another forum. I think he did a good job on his presentations. He has the above video that describes 120V outlet testing.

And this website with additional electrical safety topics with some dedicated to RV power.

RV Safety | No~Shock~Zone - Part 2

IMHO, worth the time to watch and checking or learning about your outlets.

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote