Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Land Cruiser

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Jackson , Texas
Microwave outlet

Our 25' FB Safari does not have a microwave but has a circuit breaker labeled "microwave" and there is a wire attached to the circuit breaker. I turned off the microwave circuit breaker and checked all the 120V AC outlets I could find and they all had power. I looked all around the stove for the "microwave receptacle (single 20A)" and can not find it.

We have no interest in installing a microwave but I am installing a Xantrex TrueCharge 2 40A battery charger and am looking for a convenient circuit breaker to get power from. If the microwave circuit breaker is not powering anything I will just disconnect the mystery wire and use the microwave circuit breaker for the Xantrex.

So my question is (finally), is there a dedicated 20A microwave outlet hidden somewhere? And/or does the microwave circuit breaker power some other circuits?

Roland
Roland62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2017 30' Classic
Summerville , South Carolina
There is a 120vac outlet on the wall behind your stove. You may be able to access it from under the cabinet by your stove, or the pantry. You may have to remove your pantry or drawers to get to it. If you can get access to it, that may be your microwave circuit.

I installed a microwave in my 2007 27' FB Safari and that is the receptacle I used.
Captain Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
In the past Airstream has used that circuit for the AC and Microwave with a switch in the cabinet close to where the Microwave would be installed at the factory. First test would be to turn the AC on and turn the circuit in question off and see if the AC goes off.

Newer units mat have separate circuits but the test will tell you if the is a seperate circuit for the Microwave.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
In the past Airstream has used that circuit for the AC and Microwave with a switch in the cabinet close to where the Microwave would be installed at the factory. First test would be to turn the AC on and turn the circuit in question off and see if the AC goes off.

Newer units mat have separate circuits but the test will tell you if the is a seperate circuit for the Microwave.
They got away from doing that in the early 90s - my '91 B190 had that switch, but my '95 trailer doesn't. I'm pretty sure mine has a dedicated circuit for the microwave. And, yes, this does lead to us occasionally tripping the 30 amp supply breaker (though it takes more than just the microwave + A/C to do it - we usually do it by also using our electric toaster oven along with the other two...).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:56 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Indian river , Michigan
Microwave outlet

I have a 16 sport with the microwave outlet in the cabinet.....one side is blanked off of the duplex....can anyone tell me if the other side is wired. I’m to far from home to pull the receptacle out and arc it on the aluminum, didn’t want to mess with finding the fuse. Pulled the cover plate but couldn’t see the wires. I added some led mood lights and would like to plug them in there. I’ll replace the duplex when I get home but just wondering if anyone else has figured out if the receptacle is word both sides or if it’s just dedicated oddball receptacle for one device.

Thanks,
Ken
Kpope69211 is offline   Reply With Quote