Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Acker997 Send a message via MSN to Acker997 Send a message via Yahoo to Acker997
MicroPulse Monitor Gray Water Flashing Red

After being without an Airstream for the past year, I'm delighted to be in the midst of my first road trip with my new one. It's a 2010, and everything had been checked out by a dealer.

However, I'm now set up at the park and the Gray Water light on the MicroPulse Monitor is flashing red. Whenever I dump the gray tank, the sensor goes back to green. However, after about 24 hours with MINIMAL water usage (ie. only 3 toilet flushes, 1 5-min shower using water-saver), the sensor again begins flashing red.

Any ideas, anyone? I put a call in to the service department at the dealer, but haven't heard back yet. I know the tank isn't full or about to overflow, but the flashing light is still unnerving. :-)

Thanks!
Acker997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I don't know what's wrong with it, but good luck getting it fixed and keeping it working right....I've owned three Airstreams with the tank guaging systems and not one has worked correctly yet. However, mine always register low, and yours is reading high.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Acker997 Send a message via MSN to Acker997 Send a message via Yahoo to Acker997
Steve, any ideas about how to gauge levels without the monitors? Sounds like you've had some practice.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
No, I don't know, and I have a friend who bought an '11 30', had the same problem, took it in for service, and it came back without the problem being fixed. All they did was fill the tank and not drain it. Hopefully your dealer will do a better job.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I think either the monitor needs to be recalibrated, or the gray sensor is in the process of crapping out. If the other tank levels are still being reported correctly, it's probably the sensor, and when it goes completely, the gray water position on the monitor panel won't light at all.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your problem, there is a calibration procedure to reset the MicroPulse System. You can find it on their website; just Google micropulse monitor.

In the meantime, just fill the fresh water tank, and work out of it. When the fresh tank is empty, the gray will be close to full.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Your challenge with the FB floorplan will be accessing your gray and black sensors. Since it's apparent that you'd like this system to work as advertised, (as do I), I'd consider having my dealer install access panels in the aluminum box that encases both of those tanks, because unless you cry "uncle", like most do, you'll need to get in there occasionally.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
Thanks a bunch, Brian! I probably should've thought of that -- makes perfect sense. I'll go with that for now. :-)
Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Brookfield , Wisconsin
For purposes of full disclosure I am a "future vendor" and would be sending this response as RTOS_1_LLC if I remembered my password, but my prior identity will do fine. Now that you know I have possible business motives, I will soon be selling a "reliable" unit that is far more accurate than any tank sensor system needs to be, but am wondering how many "Do It Yourselfers" are capable of installing a simple NPT to flexible tubing fitting in their tank discharge lines and routing a flexible tube to the electronic monitoring unit? Another approach would be to install a small diameter pipe vertically into the top of the trailer tank and then also routing the flexible tubing to the electronic unit. Is there easy access to the top of the tanks in "your model of trailer" or would installation of a small fitting in the discharge pipe be easier? The only other thing you need to do in a "basic system" is supply it with +12V and ground. I am trying to finalize "installation kits" and not sure what "real users" would prefer, thus you comments whether you would replace you current system or not is greatly appreciated. In effect, all these complaints about "unreliable systems" is what motivated me to develop this product line.
C5Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

so someone is listening and thinking (not airstream). i would love to replace my system in our 2010 bambi to one that actually worked and kept working with easy maintenance but could not do it myself. maybe someday a dealer or rv place will offer the goods you speak of. i could only dream.
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
The instructions are a little confusing, but you can calibrate only one tank. If your sensor is bad you will need to cut some of the sheet metal to access the sensor. It's not a difficult repair. I think the sensor costs about $50-60.

Good Luck
Drew
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Our Micropulse drove me a little crazy when we purchased out trailer. I re calibrated the unit 3 different times before I called the manufacturer and had a long "chat" about the system. Once I was armed with some information, a new sensor and some ideas of what to look for I got the system up and running and it seems to be fine now! Like anything "electro-mechanical" you need to get yourself informed and take the bull by the horns and make it "right". Ask me in a year but I believe the system will now work just fine going forward...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Brookfield , Wisconsin
dsrtgrls: Yes, that will happen down the road as this product can optionally be calibrated to provide tank volume measurements accurate to a tenth of a gallon. Ya, I know no one needs that, but is a side effect of the technology. And yes, we are listening, as the customer will always provide honest, and often brutal, opinions on what you like, don't like, and need.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Apparently Airstream is thinking about problems like this. My Interstate uses a completely external tank sensor system, which uses sensors glued to the outside of the tank at the empty, 1/3, 2/3, and full levels. The system is made by TouchSensor LLC. Being external and not exposed to the tank's contents, the sensors cannot clog, and are more accessible for replacement if required. As a bonus, the TouchSensor system monitors my freshwater, graywater, blackwater, and propane tanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Brookfield , Wisconsin
Protagonist: I am close to release so I will say my unit will monitor all four tanks as well and has NOT electronic connections or sensors exposed to tank fluids or the environment. You can calibrate it two ways; % or volume in tenths of a gallon. It has high and low alarms for the tanks, color screen that changes colors at alarm levels, optionally beeps once if configured to do so, and so on. Despite all its features, its primary goal is reliablility. I can also go to four liquid level tanks plus LP if needed. It monitors battery voltages, TONS of diagnsotics, and so on. I "believe I have solved" the reliability problems, but time will tell.