Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Auburn , New Hampshire
Mice like warm Batteries

With the cool New England weather, some mice decided to find their way into the battery compartment holding two SRM-24s just behind the propane tanks on our 2008 27' Safari. They got in through an unplugged hole in the bottom of the case (water drain?). Didn't end so well for them; and I was finally tipped off by the inverter fan running suspiciously for a few days... and the smell! Anyhow, it was time to replace the two batteries anyhow (and one was cracked from overheating); so that is a no-brainer. Thinking we will wait to spring to buy two new "fresh" SRM-24s; it seems the 12v in the trailer is fine so long as I press the "store" button on our Intellitec BD0. So my task list is:
  1. Dispose of old batteries properly
  2. Clean battery compartment (keep terminals isolated)
  3. Run trailer in "store" mode over winter (no batteries)
  4. Fit two new "fresh" SRM-24s in spring
Did I miss anything?
Hopefully we saved someone else the same pitfall. -Shep
Shepstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Seattle , Washington
There's a ton of holes all over the airstream perfect as mouse front doors. I've recently brought some wire mesh, and I'm in the process of blocking up all the critter entrances. There's a mountain of posts about it, I suggest you get reading and start blocking up all those holes.....

Dan
Streamer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepstream View Post
With the cool New England weather, some mice decided to find their way into the battery compartment holding two SRM-24s just behind the propane tanks on our 2008 27' Safari. They got in through an unplugged hole in the bottom of the case (water drain?). Didn't end so well for them; and I was finally tipped off by the inverter fan running suspiciously for a few days... and the smell! Anyhow, it was time to replace the two batteries anyhow (and one was cracked from overheating); so that is a no-brainer. Thinking we will wait to spring to buy two new "fresh" SRM-24s; it seems the 12v in the trailer is fine so long as I press the "store" button on our Intellitec BD0. So my task list is:
  1. Dispose of old batteries properly
  2. Clean battery compartment (keep terminals isolated)
  3. Run trailer in "store" mode over winter (no batteries)
  4. Fit two new "fresh" SRM-24s in spring
Did I miss anything?
Hopefully we saved someone else the same pitfall. -Shep

I don't think you missed much - except, number one on your list would be number 4 on mine.

When you purchase new batteries (at least here) you can turn the old batteries in to be properly disposed of. In fact If you don't turn the old batteries in you are charged a few dollars more (just <$10) per battery.

Having said that. We have never had mice issues where we live, in fact the kids have never seen a live one except at the pet store. I am hoping that now that I have the Airstream "LILS" parked in the driveway, it hasn't been secretly sending a welcome sonar to mice from miles around to come move in for the winter.

I have too much to tackle on LILS right now and so I am leaving the "hunting" and patching of holes until next spring.

best of luck on your end.
dnssandbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, mice