Old 01-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #29
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I have a 1994 30' trailer. If I remember correctly I believe there is a junction box that can be seen in the left rear compartment of the trailer. This should be where the shore power cord termination point can be accessed.
Thanks. I'll take a look next time I'm in there.

1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #30

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Make sure EVERYTHING in the trailer is TURNED OFF before plugging in. Dielectric grease on the prongs will prevent the oxidation.

I always plug in our EMS-PT30C into the tower to ck for issues.

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:58 AM   #31
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
My general feeling is that there will be more wear, problems and need to replace things with the detachable cords over time than with the permanently attached ones. This is mainly due to the weight of the cord at the wall outlet and the additional set of contacts and resistance plus heating they cause. Probably the very very best quality ones might not have issues but the plastic ones that Airstream supplies will be much less rugged and will fail more often, over time, than permanently attached cords.
What I'd like to do with ours is install the detachable fitting where the cord comes out of the body of the trailer inside the current cord storage bin. Then, I'd leave it attached 99% of the time, but I'd be able to detach it if there was an issue of some kind. I don't know if this would work in the space I have there, though - I don't plan to do it until it becomes an issue or I'm REALLY bored and all of my other, more pressing issues, have been resolved - probably right around the time peace on earth breaks out and Congress actually starts working together.

Reading this thread reminds me of a thought that I have every time I'm dealing with our cord storage: "This wasn't one of Airstream's better designs." The odd thing is that I had the same thought for every cord storage design I've dealt with on Airstreams - from just laying it in the rear bumper, to the spring loaded reels, to the space under the shower in the B190, to the sliding metal bracket thingy on our '95 trailer. So I guess Airstream is just keeping that tradition alive with the current cord setup, too.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:41 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Let me ask a question. Since storage is at a premium in our ASes, and the cord is always the first thing unloaded and the last thing loaded, why do we use our storage compartments for the cord?????

I finally realized this some time ago, and now just throw the cord into the back of the truck, on top of....whatever. When the AS is in storage, I just lay it on the floor inside the door. Again, it'll be the first thing I take out when I arrive home or at a CG. If boondocking, it is on the floor of the truck...under everything else.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:05 AM   #33
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
It seems that you are thinking about changing out your shore power cord to the twist lock type.
My opinion after using both is that the original design (cord hard wired to the trailer) works better.
My sister owns a 2008 Safari with the Twist-Lock type of connector. I have used it a few times and I think it is a PAIN IN THE REAR END.
1. Lining up the prongs can be a pain.
2. Threading on the locking collar is a pain
3. There is always the possibility of theft

I once thought about doing the same project (converting to the twist-lock cord) on an older trailer with the trunk shore power cord setup. Hind-site I'm glad I didn't do that project.
Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie)

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #34
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Had the same thing happen on our new 2008, a couple years down the road.

Took trailer to J/C to get checked-out
Rick told me coach was fine, and it was a run of bad cables (that were somehow not recalled)

Gave me a new HD cable
Haven't had problem since

boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote