Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Magnum vs Victron Hybrid Inverter?

I'm about to replace the Inverter/charge controller and add solar to a 2018 FC 25FBT. I'm choosing between a Victron and Magnum 3000w Hybrid inverter and related accessories. I've had a Magnum before but not a Victron. I'd be interested in the thoughts of the community.

The choice is between the Magnum:
MSH3012M 3000W, 12v 125A Inverter
ME-BMK Battery Monitor
ME-ARC50 Remote control
PT-100 MPPT Solar Charge Controller
Total $2,990 (from iMarine)

Or the Victron:
Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 Inverter Charger
BMV-702 Battery Monitor with dongle
Digital Multi Control 200/200A
MPPT 100/50 Charge Controller with dongle
MK3-USB Computer Interface
Total $2,233 (from Amazon)

Note the Victron system as spec'ed doesn't have the spiffy color Control panel GX for $516. That's cool to watch, not sure if I actually need it given the battery monitor.

I know the Magnum solar charge controller is overkill. It's the only one they make and it integrates with the single control panel. The Magnum is nice in that everything works through the easy-to-mount panel.

These will be powered with 200W of Lithium and around 400-600W of solar (depends on what fits)

Thoughts on which is best? Things I'm missing (besides the usual master switches, fuses, etc.)
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I installed a system with most of the Victron components you are considering and 400 w of solar and 320AH Lithium battery, you can see my post here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...de-163971.html
I am very happy with my system so far. I have not yet purchased a Digital Multi Control or Control panel GX, still trying to decide which way to go or if I need either. Some authorized Victron dealers offer more product support than others (like programming your inverter/charger or solar controller), so you might factor that into your decision on where to buy from if you need that kind of help. --Frank.
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado

To me this is like trying to choose between Mercedes and BMW. Both good setups and strong performers. You can’t go wrong with either.

I looked at both and went with the Victron setup almost identical to what you have, pulse 320 Amphr of Victron lithium. My long install post is linked below.

For me, I like the vertical integration of the equipment as well as the ability to connect with an app on a smartphone to monitor. In addition, the Victron equipment cost a little less and seemed to have a long history of success in high end yachts and such.

I bought through AMsolar.com, and their support was awesome, prices were about the same. Very responsive and helped me with wiring diagrams and install tips as I was installing. note the Victron is a 2400W Unit, so a little smaller than the magnum. I also think that the Victron solar chargers are better built and perform better than the magnum. If you go magnum inverter, I would go with the solar charger from Victron, and also I think the Victron battery monitor is a better system. Just my opinion.

I’ve been very happy with my system and performance. It’s been great, no issues.
Good luck!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...-a-162955.html
Old 12-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
It’s a relief to hear the Victrons are working so well. Besides the slightly higher wattage what is the case for Magnums?

Second, I’ve toyed with going to 24v instead of 12 to keep the wire sizes smaller and currents lower. I know I’d need a 24 to 12 converter then and would need to be more careful with shade on the roof since it would be a series/parallel arrangement with the solar panels. Any thoughts on that?
Old 12-15-2017, 05:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Howdy!

I would stay with the Victron components and use their 12VDC system. I use this on ALL of my installations and there is no reason to go to 24VDC other than the smaller wire. They work very well and offer a far greater range of products than Magnum does.

I still use the Magnum inverters and ME-RC control units sometimes, but you can't go wrong with either inverter!

Just my take on things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
It’s a relief to hear the Victrons are working so well. Besides the slightly higher wattage what is the case for Magnums?

Second, I’ve toyed with going to 24v instead of 12 to keep the wire sizes smaller and currents lower. I know I’d need a 24 to 12 converter then and would need to be more careful with shade on the roof since it would be a series/parallel arrangement with the solar panels. Any thoughts on that?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Thanks Lew. That means a lot coming from you. It looks like Victron it is. I especially like their range of solar controllers that I can match more closely with my panel size.

What are your thoughts on the necessity of the Color GX panel?
Old 12-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #7
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

I like the concept of a fully integrated system, with central monitoring. I plan to go with Victron lithiums, BMS, inverter/charger, MPPT solar charge controller, battery monitor, DC-DC converter, etc. etc.. when the install happens in the spring.

Lew is gonna hook me up at his shop in OR - right Lew?!

I am pretty sure I’m also going to install a CX panel, I like the idea of centralized monitoring of all system components, unless Victron release a newer version this spring... I remember hearing something about that somewhere...
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
For those looking to save $500ish you can install the Victron MPPT Control instead of the the Color GX. That little meter matches the battery monitor and let’s you interact with the solar charge controller seeing things like live status and history. Between it and the battery monitor you can get a pretty clear idea of what’s going on. These things are only $78. They just run off the VE.CAN bus so are easier to install than the Color GX meter which needs multiple wires going here and there. It’s clearly not as sexy, though. It also doesn’t connect to the inverter.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:06 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Another alternative is to get a couple of Victron bluetooth dongles for about $50 each and then you can monitor the mppt charger and battery monitor from your smart phone. I think Troutboy went this route. Unfortunately last I checked they did not work with the inverter/charger and I don't think they let you change settings. I'm still trying to decide whether to invest in the dongles, the mppt control and digital multi control for the inverter, or the color control GX. While expensive I guess an advantage of the color control GX is having one device that displays everything and even allows you to do some programming. Another alternative at half the price of the to the color control GX panel is the Victron blue control panel GX, but I don't know how its capabilities compare and I heard somewhere it was being phased out. --Frank
Equalizer Hitch
Old 12-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Howdy!

I do know that the newer solar controllers that Victron makes (100/30, 100/50 etc.) already have an INTERNAL blue tooth dongle which totally eliminates the need for an external one.

I also believe (have to check it out) that their BMV-712 ALSO has this internal device.

You can't go wrong with EITHER device in your rig!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
I've been building / using alternative energy systems for over 35 yrs. and have not noticed the Victron brand yet , looks interesting , would need to do some more research before I would recommend .
Magnum on the other hand has been around a long time , with a very good reputation , so could only recommend Magnum because I know and have compared to maybe about half dozen other " quality " brands with a long history , in fact it is no my list for future RV inverter / charger RV upgrade , the only issues is I do electronic component level repair , so it is much cheaper to buy [ the last time I needed an inverter ] less than a dollar in parts to get a dead 2500 watt inverter / 100 amp charger http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...eedom-458.aspx
My main reason to up grade is to have pure sine wave .
So looking for a dead Magnum - so I can afford to upgrade
!!! If your going to use lithium battery !!! you should be using a BMS - battery management system , lithium batteries need to have a very specific control system , I have not seen any of the inverter / chargers set for lithium batteries ?
And in general I would not get any charge controller that was not programable for the battery bank being used .
An example of a good system design is how long the batteries last , my last battery bank 4 Trojan L16's running everything including AC , lasted over 12 yrs.
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
My controller and BMV have the separate dongle, older tech. I also installed the cheap MPPT controller

I like the MPPT controller as it allows me to turn of the inverter and also limit the amps.

If you check out my install, you can see how I installed it in place of the existing old stock inverter and remote.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Oh, and Lew is correct. You don’t need the Bluetooth dongle if you buy the BMV712, or a new charge controller. They are internal now.

Sucks that’s my system is less than a year old and already I have old dated equipment, lol.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
I like the MPPT controller as it allows me to turn of the inverter and also limit the amps
That’s interesting. That’s the reason I figured I need the digital Multi Control. I’ll probably put one in anyway since it’s not that expensive and it’s optimized for doing what find myself always doing but it is surprising you can do it from the MPPT controller.

If the Color GX control had the ability to turn on and off the inverter and set shore current limits I’d probably just do that and be done with it. My understanding, though, is that it does not. On my previous Magnum unit I was doing that all the time.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado

Quote:
Thanks Lew. That means a lot coming from you. It looks like Victron it is. I especially like their range of solar controllers that I can match more closely with my panel size.

What are your thoughts on the necessity of the Color GX panel?

I think I miss typed. I put the remote controller in, the one you said is sheapnto allow me to control the inverter/charger. Not the solar charger. Sorry for the error.

This is the remote unused for the inverter:

https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-...ntrol-panel-gx
Old 12-17-2017, 01:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
That makes more sense. Otherwise I thought there must be some CAN bus magic going on.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
So the data sheet for the Color control panel GX says it supports "Multis and Quattros", "monitoring and control (on/off and current limiter)". So that implies to me that you would not need the digital multi control for the inverter if you had the Color conrtol panel GX?-- Frank
Equalizer Hitch
Old 12-18-2017, 12:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
That’s interesting. That may be new. Can anyone with a color GX speak to how easy it is to change the max current that can be drawn from shore and also turn the inverter on and off? It was easy with the Magnum and is easy with the Victron Digital Multi panel but if I can avoid buying both that panel and the MPPT Victron display and instead get the Color GX controling everything from there I’d do that.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
That’s interesting. That may be new. Can anyone with a color GX speak to how easy it is to change the max current that can be drawn from shore and also turn the inverter on and off? It was easy with the Magnum and is easy with the Victron Digital Multi panel but if I can avoid buying both that panel and the MPPT Victron display and instead get the Color GX controling everything from there I’d do that.

I have an Victron installation that has both and it has a solar controller, inverter, LI batteries , and battery monitor - This is the AM solar signature configuration. This setup has some limitations due to all the connections so I needed both- the digital Multi was needed to perform the inverter on/off and current limit. The Color GCX couldn’t perform those functions when you have too many components. This may have changed with the new 712 and the updates to solar controllers that came out mid-2017
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Goodyear , Arizona
I didn’t see anyone mention victron’s blue power panel. This costs in the low $200’s and has a less pretty readout but very similar info to the $500 dollar color panel. I have my battery monitor and multi connected to the panel. It allows tremendous control of the system.
Docinabox is offline   Reply With Quote