Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2015, 10:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
ArtisanAir's Avatar

 
1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 209
Magnum inverter install question?

Hello,
This question is directed towards a certain member who would know the answer. But anybody can chime in.

Lew, I'm using a 300a class t fuse on the dc side of my ms-2012 install. That being said you need to incorporate a disconnect before and after the fuse. I was going to use a disconnect for the pre-fused side, but can I use the DCLD pigtail to prevent any flow going to the battery from the inverter? I'm assuming it shuts the inverter down as if you hit the on/off switch, not allowing the charging cycle to initiate. Or do I need to install another disconnect post-fused. Please assure what I'm thinking.... Thank you
__________________

__________________
Artisan Airstreams
Custom restorations and renovations
www.artisanairstreams.com
Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisanAir View Post
Hello,
This question is directed towards a certain member who would know the answer. But anybody can chime in.

Lew, I'm using a 300a class t fuse on the dc side of my ms-2012 install. That being said you need to incorporate a disconnect before and after the fuse. I was going to use a disconnect for the pre-fused side, but can I use the DCLD pigtail to prevent any flow going to the battery from the inverter? I'm assuming it shuts the inverter down as if you hit the on/off switch, not allowing the charging cycle to initiate. Or do I need to install another disconnect post-fused. Please assure what I'm thinking.... Thank you
AA,

The specific cable order should be like this:

• battery
• 2/0 cable up to 5' for the total length to the inverter positive, 4/0 up to 10' (it's in the MS-2012 manual), double 4/0 from 10-15 feet maximum run length
• 300 amp class T inverter fuse
• 300 amp inverter disconnect switch
• final run of appropriately sized welding cable
• positive terminal of the inverter

The only place I would tap off this positive run is at the battery side of the inverter fuse, not at the switch. The cable should be unencumbered from the fuse to the inverter by any other DC loads.

For a feed to the house positive bus bar, I typically use a 50 amp marine circuit breaker and 4 AWG cabling.

*****Remember to place all fuses and circuit breakers within 18" of the positive battery terminal to meet NEC code!

Any more questions?
__________________

__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,278
Here's a bit of a visual. This is from an Interstate coach and uses a Magnum MMS-1012, but you can see the order of the devices. I also use solid copper bar extensively in my installations to keep the wire runs as short as possible since it's pretty tough to get a 2/0 or 4/0 cable less than 3", including lug ends or to make short, sharp bends.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
ArtisanAir's Avatar

 
1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 209
Your the man! So a disconnect after the 300a fuse is not needed? Also what do you recommend for a bcc or automatic relay switch, or bim. I am worried about the tow vehicle's alternator getting involved with the agm batteries I just installed. I've seen swelling from I assume over charged batteries, also charging different types of batteries from the same source? Certainly the alternator does not have the 3, 4, or 5 stage charge like the inverter. What do you recommend on your installs when charging from your tow vehicle? Thanks again Lew!
__________________
Artisan Airstreams
Custom restorations and renovations
www.artisanairstreams.com
Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:14 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
ArtisanAir's Avatar

 
1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 209
One other question I had is, what size copper bar would be a equivalent to 4/0 copper wire? Would 1/4" x 3/4" suffice?
__________________
Artisan Airstreams
Custom restorations and renovations
www.artisanairstreams.com
Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
ArtisanAir's Avatar

 
1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 209
Lew, I was looking at your pic in this thread a little harder and I think I'm seeing a isolator seloniod? Is that how it is switching from vehicle alternator charge? Im getting wound up in different applications for charging the system from the tow vehicle.... Im sure there is a simple way or the sophisticated way. Please help
__________________
Artisan Airstreams
Custom restorations and renovations
www.artisanairstreams.com
Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member
 
2006 19' International CCD
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 17
Schematic

Lew
Do you have some schematics of this configuration? Any schematics for connecting 12 volt DC in a trailer, example: installing an inverter, shunt, etc.

Thanks
__________________
grwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisanAir View Post
Your the man! So a disconnect after the 300a fuse is not needed? Also what do you recommend for a bcc or automatic relay switch, or bim. I am worried about the tow vehicle's alternator getting involved with the agm batteries I just installed. I've seen swelling from I assume over charged batteries, also charging different types of batteries from the same source? Certainly the alternator does not have the 3, 4, or 5 stage charge like the inverter. What do you recommend on your installs when charging from your tow vehicle? Thanks again Lew!
There IS a disconnect between the inverter fuse and the positive inverter terminal (big red switch marine switch). Interstate vans use a BIM from Precision Circuits, but for trailers, I simply pull the fuse on the charge line of the TV. You don't want a continual 14.2 VDC from the alternator hitting the batteries, as they will never have an opportunity to float and will overcharge. The fuse is easy to identify from your vehicle manual.
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by grwalk View Post
Lew
Do you have some schematics of this configuration? Any schematics for connecting 12 volt DC in a trailer, example: installing an inverter, shunt, etc.

Thanks
These are easily found from the equipment makers. Magnum has some great wiring diagrams in their manuals....available on-line, as do Blue Sky Energy for solar. AM Solar also has a couple of good block diagrams on their web site.
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisanAir View Post
One other question I had is, what size copper bar would be a equivalent to 4/0 copper wire? Would 1/4" x 3/4" suffice?
1/8" X 1". You will never bend 1/4" solid bar.
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisanAir View Post
Lew, I was looking at your pic in this thread a little harder and I think I'm seeing a isolator seloniod? Is that how it is switching from vehicle alternator charge? Im getting wound up in different applications for charging the system from the tow vehicle.... Im sure there is a simple way or the sophisticated way. Please help
This pic is from an Interstate van. you are seeing the Precision Circuits BIM solenoid. It was already in place from the factory.
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
ArtisanAir's Avatar

 
1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 209
So long story short you would not charge the AGM batteries with the TV source? That would be the easy answer. How could you use the TV to supply the 12V DC while being isolated from the camper bank? Solenoid? Transfer Relay? I'm getting overwhelmed in different applications, I would like a simplified system (no bim or bcc).
__________________
Artisan Airstreams
Custom restorations and renovations
www.artisanairstreams.com
Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member
 
1971 25' Tradewind
Pawcatuck , Connecticut
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 17
Hi I have taken out all the electrical in my 1971 land yacht I just want to install new exterior wiring that works from the tow plug...also four outlets and overhead track lights air conditioner ... can you make any suggestions about maybe solar I plan on using the AS as a traveling vintage shop
__________________
Betty1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisanAir View Post
So long story short you would not charge the AGM batteries with the TV source? That would be the easy answer. How could you use the TV to supply the 12V DC while being isolated from the camper bank? Solenoid? Transfer Relay? I'm getting overwhelmed in different applications, I would like a simplified system (no bim or bcc).

That IS the easy answer. I remove the charge line fuse in the TV whenever I install Lifelines or Lithiums. But then it really isn't required as these rigs all have substantial solar charging capacity.


Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
__________________

__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replace House Batteries (Magnum Inverter) MILATV Sprinter and B-van Forum 24 11-04-2014 07:11 PM
prices of Magnum MS2812 2800W Inverter with 125 Amp Charger carl2591 Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 42 01-28-2014 04:26 AM
Magnum Inverter upgrades Support Admin Airstream Classifieds 0 09-23-2013 01:28 PM
Upgrading from Tripplite to Magnum inverter/charger russ240 Sprinter and B-van Forum 9 09-22-2013 10:51 AM
Magnum Energy inverter - chargers Jammer Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 5 03-22-2011 11:11 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.