Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
magnatek 900 series 950-4 converter isshues

So, I was testing to see why my converter is turning on or off randomly, and found that when I was checking the continuity on all of my fuses on the fuse block, that when I touched one lead to the ground (Airstream Door frame and outside skin panel) and the rest to the fuses,I had continuity..

now I am assuming all the fuses are on the + side of the circuit, and think that this is some new short, or perhaps an old one. Crazy thing is is that the breakers are not tripping and no blown fuses..I am stumped to what to even begin to do, any suggestions?

I also tried testing the on/off switch the converter was connected to, and it has continuity. I took out the stove and examined all the wiring, everything seems fine, no mice nests either that I could find. the battery is connected properly, even took it out and set it on the ground to ensure their was no terminals touching anything inside the battery compartment.
shadeemry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Update: found out what was wrong in the converter. Those magneteks have an internal fuse inside the transformer and the -4 series has 1 fuse and 2 thermal ones. One of the thermal fuses were blown, so I went to RadioShack and got a thermal fuse, and walk, working like new. I also dabble in electronics so I found a circuit that takes the output to the battery and plugs into this circuit that allows it to be a 3 stage charger so I dont cook my battery. It's very handy and prevents me from having to spend 200 bucks for something I can build for 39 bucks or so. I'll include the circuit..

Stil don't know what's going on with the short though.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeemry
Update: found out what was wrong in the converter. Those magneteks have an internal fuse inside the transformer and the -4 series has 1 fuse and 2 thermal ones. One of the thermal fuses were blown, so I went to RadioShack and got a thermal fuse, and walk, working like new. I also dabble in electronics so I found a circuit that takes the output to the battery and plugs into this circuit that allows it to be a 3 stage charger so I dont cook my battery. It's very handy and prevents me from having to spend 200 bucks for something I can build for 39 bucks or so. I'll include the circuit..

Stil don't know what's going on with the short though.
The circuit:
Attached Images