Old 06-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Made changes to my control panel

I finally made some changes to my control panel. I took out the clock and the inside outside thermometer. Both were broken and looked terrible. The plastic that covers the control panel was falling off. I was going to remove the plastic but after looking at all the guages and wiring I decided not to remove the plastic even with it turning yellow from age. I decided to take a thin piece of birch and mount it over the area where the thermometer and clocks were. I painted it the same color of my interior trim . After the paint dried I mounted a complete weather station. The weather station will give the time, inside and outside temp, barometric pressure, sun rise and sun set. The clock is an atomic clock which is a nice feature. I feel it does the job and looks pretty good. I also replaced all the small light bulbs in the control panel.

My wife put tape over the gauges and where the lights for the control panel are. She made perfect circles for each light indicator. I told her not to paint until I can find out if that plastic over the control panel will hold paint. Has anybody painted the shiny plastic over the control panel?

Brian

Old 06-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I don't know where it's located on this forum, but try to search on how to clean that yellowed plastic with a hydrogen peroxide mixture. Once you put this concotion on the plastic and put it in the sunlight (it might take a few times), the original color will come right back.

I'll be doing this to my front inside cap, when I get the time.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Stingray: Thanks for the info.

Brian
Old 06-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Is this the link your looking for:

Retr0Bright - Retr0Bright Gel
Old 06-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Gary:

Thanks for the info. I am not sure which way we are going to go with this.

Brian
Old 07-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I finally made some changes to my control panel. I took out the clock and the inside outside thermometer. Both were broken and looked terrible. The plastic that covers the control panel was falling off. I was going to remove the plastic but after looking at all the guages and wiring I decided not to remove the plastic even with it turning yellow from age. I decided to take a thin piece of birch and mount it over the area where the thermometer and clocks were. I painted it the same color of my interior trim . After the paint dried I mounted a complete weather station. The weather station will give the time, inside and outside temp, barometric pressure, sun rise and sun set. The clock is an atomic clock which is a nice feature. I feel it does the job and looks pretty good. I also replaced all the small light bulbs in the control panel.
Brian
Pics??

I've thought a lot about this aspect of the trailer, too. My clock works and I purchased a new temperature unit, identical to the old. I have a modern digital temp guage for inside and outside temps, but I'm not sure where I'll mount that, though.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am posting a pic. I am not finished with it yet. I am going to put some trim in the middle seperating the wood and plastic. I am also going to get some metal trim to put in the middle of the tambour doors. I feel for what we are trying accomplish for our trailer this is sufficient. It works. You will notice the blue tape over the lights. I will paint the shiny part so it will all come together. I will put the outside sensor somewhere under the propane tanks.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	control panel.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	83295  
Old 07-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I built a stereo cabinet this weekend and my wife painted the tamboor doors with Krylon fusion. Somebody posted what paint they had success with so we bought it and tried it. WOW!!! Good Stuff!! We also put handles on the Tamboor doors. We did not want dirty fingers getting on the new paint. Check out the pics.

Jim who is doing the complete restoration on a 73 Overlander did a cabinet for his radio. I just looked at his cabinet on the airstream forums and tried to make one similar to his

On a sadder note I had to rip out part of my tub area because my faucet started leaking terribly. It was not the water line connections. It is in the internal part of the faucet. I will be buying a new faucet and putting back the tub area tomorrow. I ruined my aluminum trim inserts.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stereo  copy_edited-1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	83449