Old 02-13-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Thumbs up LP gas detector fault mode

Our trailer has been stored since around New Years and on two occasions we have gone over to the storage facility to check things out and have been greeted by the LP detector squawking at us when we unlock the door. The indicator light is orange/amber which is fault mode according to the manual and it beeps at approximately 30 second intervals. Now if I hold in the test button for four seconds (per the manual) the light turns green and subsequent tests all pass. This condition lasts a couple weeks then it faults again. As far as I can tell (by the panel readouts) our batteries are fully charged and the LP gas is turned off. We have solar panels and I check the water level in the batteries at least once a month. It all looks good, but I know the detector power connection bypasses the shut off and we have also had a lot of rain in Phoenix. The manual is pretty clear, it says if it shows fault mode replace it. I have no issue with getting that done under warranty, but I'm still wondering if something else is causing the fault. Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas from the experts?
Thanks as always,
Ken

Old 02-14-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

We have found our detector to be very sensitive also. There are no gas leaks, however all you have to do is fart or light the stove and the thing goes off. I installed a switch on the 12 volt power box to kill it. I could replace it but there is really nothing wrong with it, so if I just don't eat beans or cabbage everything is ok. I turn the thing on after cooking.

Old 02-15-2005, 04:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
... There are no gas leaks, however all you have to do is fart...
At first I thought you were making a joke (which BTW made me laugh) but then it struck me that an occasional gas leak such as you descibed could actually set the thing off. How annoying.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:21 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
We had the same thing with our AS. The unit was still under warrenty and the dealer said it was faulty and replaced it. We have not had the same problem with the new unit. Get it replaced.

Mark
Old 02-15-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Calling Atwood support tomorrow

Our dealer suggested calling the manufacturer (Atwood) first, so I'm going to do that in the morning. The problem I'm describing is not over sensitivity, there is no gas even on (I turned it off at the tanks and hadn't even been in the trailer when it faulted). My wife checked the trailer today and it was still working fine after I reset it on Sunday. I do intend to get it replaced after playing the troubleshooting game.
-Ken
Old 02-15-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I have had the same problem with my unit. I noticed that it usually went off after the furnace kicked in ... sometimes dimming the lights ... so I figured it was a low voltage problem.

After checking the batteries and finding everything up to snuff ... I discovered a loose cable behind the master switch underneath the couch. After tightening that up ... no more problems ... so I thought.

It went off again in the middle of the night a few weeks ago. So ... I'm going to have the dealer handle it when I take Baby Huey in for the "greased hubs" recall next week.

Are you going to Dillons in Mesa?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Oasis in Tucson

Porky,
We've always worked with Joe and Jay at Oasis in Tucson. They're farther away, but we feel like family there.
Ken