Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #1

2015 31' Classic
West Linn , Oregon
Lost 110v power in new Classic

We on a coast to coast trip and currently about 2500 miles from home. This evening we lost all 110v power to the HP, Microwave and outlets. The 20A breaker switch (second from left) had tripped and when it was reset there was a pop and a puff of smoke from the power panel. We are in Cooperstown NY.

My plan is to ask for help at the RV park and if necessary go to Albany for repairs. We're new to 'streaming, so please suggest other ideas you may have.

Thanks in advance...

--jjc
John C.
Jcimral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:14 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....

John,

If your not comfortable or properly equipped for electrical.....

The "puff of smoke" tells me, getting to the dealer asap may be your best option.

Bob
Old 10-05-2015, 06:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Sounds like your circuit breaker is doing its job. There's a short somewhere in that circuit. Get it to a good RV experienced electrician.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Bummer. John what was turned on when you noticed? Looking at the electrical schematic that I got from AS the second CB should be the front AC. In reality my panel was not labeled so I'm not sure that the schematic is correct. I labeled everything but not near the trailer to confirm.

It could be something as simple as a bad breaker which is an easy club and replace. After that things get more complicated.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I am following this thread.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Works on smoke and mirrors... Once you let the smoke out, no more workie!

Dealer or local electrician.

Do NOT keep turning on the breaker!!!!! More damage can be done, including possible fire(BIG SMOKE)!!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I am a pretty confident do it yourselfer but my cardinal rule is if it involves electricity or gas I unplug and turn off the gas and call an expert. If it's cold outside I get a hotel room until it's fixed. I also very much prefer to only have people that know their way around an Airstream to do work on mine - dealership is best. Sounds idealistic but it saves me time and money down the road and keeps my wife and I alive and healthy to be able to go down the road.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Inverter Fuse?

We lost our 110V last year because we overloaded it with a ceramic heater. Turns out we blew the fuse in the inverter. Replacing the inverter fuse solved the problem.

We have a 2014 Classic 27FB. Inverter was located behind the left wall panel in the front external storage compartment.

Can't explain the puff of smoke. We didn't experience that.

Let us know what the final diagnosis and fix turns out to be.

Good luck!
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #9

2015 27' FB International
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Smile Lost 110v power

I had a similar experience in my new 2015 International en route back from Canada. The battery disconnect switch (panel located near the entry door failed. There was no Airstream dealer nearby so I took the rig to a local RV dealer. They checked that the solenoid switch, which controls the 110V power to the fridge, etc., was functioning. It was. So we deduced that a circuit in the battery disconnect switch had failed. The dealer by-passed the disconnect switch and hot-wired the solenoid to remain on all the time. This won't drain your batter as long as you hook your Airstream up to an external power source (30 amp or your tow vehicle) at least every other day. We used our Airstream like this for another 40 days until we got back home.

Hope this helps.

R
gamblerod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
I had a similar problem on my maiden voyage with my 2015

The converter had to be replace at Jackson Center. If your converter is shot, then you will not be able to charge your batteries, at least mine did not. They were all but useless by the time I got to Jackson Center (I was in Utah but on my way home to MD)
There are Airstream dealers in NY: www.coltonrv.com/ and Albany RV - View our RVs and you appear to be about 4 and 1/2 hours from Colonial airstream in NJ, and about 9 hours or so to Jackson Center in Ohio.
I would suggest not plugging into 110 volt power until the issue can be resolved. Mine woke me up in the middle of the night sparking, popping and smoking. I had to run outside quickly and disconnect from shore power.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #11

2015 31' Classic
West Linn , Oregon
I appreciate all the help. We have our power back, but it took a couple visits to a dealer. There were several loose wires that were tightened up behind the power panel. That brought back the 110 power. We then lost 12v and had to return. It turns out that the converter was blown and not charging the batteries. The dealer replaced the converter and things were fine.

The furnace was a different problem (operator error). It was set to come on and turn off at the same time. Hence no heat.

Albany RV treated us very well. They understood we were on the road and made room for us in their service line immediately. Also, we were lucky the AirStream rep was at the dealer. They did not have the Airstream part (converter) and Airstream corporate did not want to pay for the "off market" part. The Rep stepped in and did the right thing. We are thankful. Guess looking somebody in the eye matters.

Again, thank you for all the help. One newbie is a bit smarter.

--jjc
Jcimral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Great! Thanks for update!

I have seen 'loose' wires cause the 'smoke' you referenced. Also, the 'static'/surge we see on the circuitry can damage components....like the converter. Personally, I think the 'original' being installed is 'marginal' for regular use. With the 'static'/surge, it may have taken out the less than reliable Converter.

Since the Converter was replaced, I strongly recommend you consider getting an 'appliance' surge protector for the Microwave and Converter. Here is a link to a suggestion.... I am sure you can find locally. Glad you are back in business!

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Pro...urge+protector
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote