Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
Dan

2013 23' FB International
Keene , New York
Looking to add a Generator

Upcoming trip has 10 days boondocking in death valley and yosemite. I changed out batteries to marine deep cycle batteries which added a few days to the boondocking experience. I am now considering a generator. Was looking at a 2000W Honda (EU2000i) and was wondering if anyone experience or a better option. We will just be charging our batteries.

TinMandan
TinManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Use Your Tow Vehicle to Charge Your Batteries

You already own a generator! It is not only possible, but feasible to use your tow vehicle to recharge your battery every day. Here is a thread on the topic.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...or-159561.html

You will read different opinions, but I use this method for an hour a day, rather than carrying a heavy, noisy generator for the same purpose. My vehicle has a high output alternator and it runs more quietly than any generator that I have heard. It is easy to hook up some large 4 gauge Anderson connectors with heavy duty cables directly to your battery (with a large 100 amp circuit breaker.)

The generator will take up space and more importantly use up payload that you could have for something more useful like mountain bikes etc.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I may be out of place on this reply, and rebuttals are welcome.
I own a MH and it has the equivalent of a TV generator built in, without the extra wires.
I also have a Onan 3600 watt generator to help me when solar and shore power are not an option.
I hate to run the generator, it is old, noisy & stinks up the area.
BUT...
If push comes to shove, and I have no other choice, I will run a generator that sucks down 1/4 gph pushing more than 60 amps DC to charge my batteries over a Chevy 454 that gets 7 MPG on the highway and only gives me 50 amps to the batteries.
Remember that to charge batteries, it is not a quick thing. Even with the best converter, you need to spend 4 to 6 hours to get them topped off.
So, if you have room for a small generator to power you converter and a few toys, go for it. Just lock it down so it does not take a walk.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The Honda is an excellent choice. Very reliable, quiet and light weight. Yamaha has a similar product that also has an excellent reputation. There are now some knock-off inverter generators sold by Costco, Northern Tools etc. that may be a fine option if you are not planning regular, long-term use.

If you are only planning on battery charging, you might consider a 1000 watt unit.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Looking to add a Generator

Look into PPL MOTORHOMES prices on Yamaha inverter generators. The prices are comparable to HONDA and should you decide to increase capacity you need only to buy another generator of the same model. No special "companion" generator required with Yamaha.
Generac and other brands are less expensive and might suit you well.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinManDan View Post
Upcoming trip has 10 days boondocking in death valley and yosemite. I changed out batteries to marine deep cycle batteries which added a few days to the boondocking experience. I am now considering a generator. Was looking at a 2000W Honda (EU2000i) and was wondering if anyone experience or a better option. We will just be charging our batteries.

TinMandan
I use a single Honda 2000i for charging my battery while boondocking (yes, my Safari has only one battery). I have boondocked for a week without any hookups, spring, summer, fall when the furnace is not need very much. I usually charge around 2 hours in the morning while making coffee and my wife dries here hair. I'll charge another 2 hours in the evening, while preparing a meal if we need the microwave. Usually we can watch tv for a couple hours each night and/or use the internet, charging our computer and/or phone/hotspot batteries from the trailer battery.

During cold weather, when I have to boondock overnight while traveling, I'll run the generator 3 to 4 hours just before bedtime to make sure the battery is fully charged before going to bed. Don't want the furnace dying from lack of power.

I have changed all of my interior light bulbs to LEDs.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
I know most recommend a Honda 2000 or similar, and with good reason, they are quiet and efficient. But, they are also relatively expensive. I have the same requirements as you. I want to charge my batts during an extended stay, almost no other requirements. I have 2 deep cycle Interstates for DC power. I bought a Champion 1500 from Amazon for about $220. Here is a complete description: (It gets great ratings)

The Champion Power Equipment 42436 1200 Watt Multi Purpose Portable Generator is the perfect “What if?” generator when you’re in a pinch or need “just enough” power – RV-use, camping, tailgating, boating, hunting, weekend trips, family vacations and small jobs around the house. The generator produces 1500 starting watts and 1200 running watts. This unit also makes a great solution during an emergency to power a few essential items you need in a power outage – lights, microwave, fan, TV, modem/router, cell phone charger, etc. (Note: this unit is not recommended for emergency home backup for powering air conditioners, stoves, furnaces or sump pumps.) The 1200 Watt Multi Purpose Portable Generator operates at 65 dBA from 23 ft. and has a run time of up to 10 hours on a full tank of gasoline at 50% load. The generator features Volt Guard, a built-in surge protector which protects your appliances from any spikes in voltage above a safe threshold, as well as Cold Start technology which optimizes the generator to start easily in cold weather. The generator is portable and comes in a durable steel frame. The 1200 Watt Multi Purpose Portable Generator comes with a 120V 20A household outlet (5-20R). The unit also comes with a voltmeter: displays power output from the generator. The 1200 Watt Multi Purpose Portable Generator is powered by a 80cc Champion single-cylinder OHV engine with a 1.5 gal. fuel tank, 0.4 qt. oil capacity (recommended 10W-30) and automatic low oil shut-off sensor. The generator is 50-state/CARB compliant. Champion Power Equipment is a market leader in power generation equipment. Champion has years of experience providing dependable and durable power equipment designed and engineered in the US for the North American and world markets. Champion products are the standard of performance excellence – for work, for play, for home. We make the power that makes your life easier. The Champion 1200 Watt Multi Purpose Portable Generator comes with a two year limited warranty.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I try to get the most bang for the buck, which at times requires some compromises. The champion meets my needs without major compromises.
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
We added a GenConneX GXG-LP-EU2000i-COMP-EC Propane modified Honda Inverter Generator, Item:

GenConneX RV 2 Package: ** Description: GenConneX 2kWatt 120Vac-30A Propane Portable-Power System.* Package includes GenConneX GXG-LP-EU2000i-COMP-EC Propane modified Honda Inverter Generator, 6 foot propane hose with regulator, 12 foot 1/4 inch propane extension hose with 3/8 inch female quick-disconnect for generator and 1/4 inch male quick-disconnect for connecting to trailer auxiliary low pressure propane outlet, GenConneX 30Amp N-G bonding plug to 30Amp camper plug adapter, easy oil change funnel, cover and 1 quart of 5W-30 synthetic motor oil.**

You don't have to haul GAS which is a big deal and run from the FIRST pull, easy storage and Propane is the way to go.

They will give you Military discount. We were at the Balloon Fest in October and many people came buy to get the info, my wife can set it up which is a big plus.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Conversion kits also available

Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
We added a GenConneX GXG-LP-EU2000i-COMP-EC Propane modified Honda Inverter Generator, Item:

GenConneX RV 2 Package: ** Description: GenConneX 2kWatt 120Vac-30A Propane Portable-Power System.* Package includes GenConneX GXG-LP-EU2000i-COMP-EC Propane modified Honda Inverter Generator, 6 foot propane hose with regulator, 12 foot 1/4 inch propane extension hose with 3/8 inch female quick-disconnect for generator and 1/4 inch male quick-disconnect for connecting to trailer auxiliary low pressure propane outlet, GenConneX 30Amp N-G bonding plug to 30Amp camper plug adapter, easy oil change funnel, cover and 1 quart of 5W-30 synthetic motor oil.**

You don't have to haul GAS which is a big deal and run from the FIRST pull, easy storage and Propane is the way to go.

They will give you Military discount. We were at the Balloon Fest in October and many people came buy to get the info, my wife can set it up which is a big plus.
I installed a Century Fuel Products conversion kit on my Honda 2000 so it can run on LP, Natural Gas or gasoline.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #10
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
I also have an Eco Worthy fold up solar panel, 120Watt
They are on Amazon for $235
If you have sun, they will help to keep your batteries charged up
Comes with everything you need,,,you just unfold hook up to your batteries and let the sun do the rest

I also have a Honda 2000 just in case there is no sun
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Concord , California
Solar is the way to go if only charging batteries. In addition to solar, I also carry a Yamaha when I need more power for other appliances. Can't go wrong with Honda or Yamaha. The key is reliability, low maintenance and super quiet.
Happy Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Red face

Lots of great advice in threads on this subject...I mean days worth of reading! We had been using a folding 80W solar unit from Go Pro which we still use;but sometimes we have no sun in the woods. This past summer after reading several reviews, we got the Champion Power Equipment 73536i 2000 Watt Stackable Portable Inverter Generator on Amazon for $441 and have been very happy. Reviews are strong, good maintenance support if needed (Champion), and it is half the price of Honda or Yamaha. It starts first time, quiet, economical, and like the Honda or Yamaha, you can add a second unit if needed connected together. Question would be if you will want to run AC on your rig. I have heard this unit can run the 1300 AC unit, but not sure. There is a "surge" device I have been looking into that others on the Forum recommended which would help start and maintain an AC, even my 1500 ac, with a 2000W generator. It is around $318, but no is small and light weight option: http://www.microair.net/main/products/product.php?id=20

Good luck.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
2016 26U FC + 2011 LX570

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
We're also considering generator power. Tend to be leaning on the Honda 2000i or 3000i. We just like using our A/C, microwave and other electric gadgets that are hungry for power. We're in warmer climates often. I really like the GenConneX LP conversions and will likely go that route. I hear good things about the Yamaha brand too.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinManDan View Post

TinMandan
I don't know if this is a better option under a grand.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #15
Dan

2013 23' FB International
Keene , New York
Thanks to all for timely and helpful responses. It has given me some details to consider and it is much appreciated.

TinManDan out
TinManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
IMO there are two major things to consider weight and use. As one gets older it becomes more difficult to lift a 60 pound Generator then a smaller one like the Honda or Yamaha 2000s. As to use the 2000 is good for multiple purposes and you can add a second one if needed.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
hellertown , Pennsylvania
http://www.usesmartertools.com/manua...0IQ_MANUAL.pdf

This may interest you.
carlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debit View Post
We're also considering generator power. Tend to be leaning on the Honda 2000i or 3000i. We just like using our A/C, microwave and other electric gadgets that are hungry for power. We're in warmer climates often. I really like the GenConneX LP conversions and will likely go that route. I hear good things about the Yamaha brand too.
If your looking at the larger 3000W models, you might also check out the Champion lineup, including their 3000W Electric Start
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...6SR0Q4TF80E5CC

or check out the Dual Fuel Electric Start model:
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...FP7ZHKBEV3PMAN
At half the price and same great reliability, comparable weight/noise, and many service centers, Champion is another great choice while saving some money... Good luck!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote