Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #1

Playa Vista , California
Looking for Electrical help (DC box wiring)

Thanks for looking fellow airstreamers. I have a 78 Argosy that i am in the middle of updating.

Recently bought a new converter to swap out the old one, when opening the old unit i noticed that the DC box was built in the unit... ive bought a bluemarine dc box and plan to wire that up to the new converter.

My question is when looking at the wiring it looks like 120volt house wiring is connected to the dc box(I'm confused to what that wiring is) i thought it might be the converter being hard wired but the converter has a plug. Any ideas? its spliced into a black wire into dc fuse box. is that the negative wiring of something?

Please excuse the video resolution as well as my electrical vocabulary.

Thanks again for taking a look!!!

(video of the unit should be below)

IMG_4413.3gp

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4417.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	295598

Name:	IMG_4415.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	295603

Name:	IMG_4414.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	295604
lozsoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Pucture zoomed out a little would help. Where is the other end of the black wire. It might be a grounding wire.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:40 PM   #3

Playa Vista , California
Sorry Tried to upload a video

This link should be viewable.

Thanks again!

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/235685351" width="640" height="1138" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/235685351">Argosy Wiring 78</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user71816382">Lawrence Whalen</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

https://vimeo.com/235685351

https://vimeo.com/235685351
Old 09-27-2017, 11:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Ok so quick look at this. The black from the batterybbox is the battery negative terminal goes over to the junction with the white wire and then into the wall. From there it is going to go down under to the frame for a ground. Same on the black to white wire from the univolt fuse panel. The black to white goes to ground. So it seems like all your negatives (grounds) from any loads in the trailer will be through the frame/shell. So when you rewire it'll be important to keep those functional.. The one from the univolt will go back to connect to the negative of your new converter. The negative from the battery can stay that way, it would be better goingbto the fuse panel but the way this is wired it doesn't have to. The thing to worry about is where those connect under the trailer can corrode over time resulting in poor circuit paths.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #5

Playa Vista , California
@HiJoeSilver Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it!!!!

so it would make sense to run those negative(ground) wires attached to the frame to the ground section in the new fuse box? Im wondering if i should take some of the wall out to get a better look at where those the ground wires originally went.

Another question I have is one of my fuses keep blowing... its the yellow wire, any idea whats the best way to diagnose it or should i buy a bunch of fuses and test everything that wiring is connected to?
(bedroom light, bedroom fan, bookshelf lights, trying to figure out what else)

Thanks again
Old 09-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
"so it would make sense to run those negative(ground) wires attached to the frame to the ground section in the new fuse box? Im wondering if i should take some of the wall out to get a better look at where those the ground wires originally went."

Yes and no, you can run the one from the battery to the fuse panel but the one that goes through the wall that used to attach to the battery cable also has to get connected to the negative. Otherwise you lose the current path. Similar with the converter negative. One will need to attach to the converter but still needs some pathbtonthe shell. Lots of different ways this can be done.
The wire will run down under the trailer, so to find that connection you'd likely need to remove belly pan or banana wraps to get to it. You can always add additional negative connections to the shell.

Another question I have is one of my fuses keep blowing... its the yellow wire, any idea whats the best way to diagnose it or should i buy a bunch of fuses and test everything that wiring is connected to?
(bedroom light, bedroom fan, bookshelf lights, trying to figure out what else).
Best way is to look at wash load in the trailer to see what colorcwire feeds it. Find all the yellow ones. Check for loose connections. Instead of blowing a ton of fuses it's better to remove the fuse and use a multimeter to check resistance from the load side of the fuse to a bare metal spot on the shell. You want high or OL resistance readings. You may have to disconnect yellow loads one at a time to find the problem load.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #7

Playa Vista , California
So i finally hooked up the new converter and fuse box... but seems as if i missed something. The new converter is pumping out around 13v but my lights and everything else that's plugged into the fuse box doesn't seem to be working. is there anything i should be checking? im assuming its something to do with the grounding

Thanks for the help

https://vimeo.com/251403893

IMG_4758.MOV
Attached Files