Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
2007 28' Safari SE
Spring Valley , California

I have a 2007 Safari that did not come with a microwave. What is the AC wire capable of carrying current wise? Thanks, Lance

Lmcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by Lmcour View Post
I have a 2007 Safari that did not come with a microwave. What is the AC wire capable of carrying current wise? Thanks, Lance
You can run about any microwave that would fit in your 28... I wouldn't want to go more than 1200 watts though. When you look for smaller, lighter weight microwaves you usually find they are 800-900 watts - and that's a wimpy microwave. I think the little Tappan that comes in the 27FB pull-out pantry may only be a 600 watt model. Something that size will barely pop microwave popcorn or boil a cup of water for tea.

The thing about a microwave is that it will not work at all if you aren't (a) plugged in to a campsite with electric or (b) run a generator while boondocking. Microwaves are a bit of current hogs and if you DO want to carry a generator you might have to choose between air conditioning and running the microwave.

I had one in my 25 FB for a while and found that it was more of a pain in the neck than a useful addition. It's now in my office, where my staff make microwave popcorn all the time. When I cook, I usually make enough to eat plus store 3-4 boiling bags of leftovers... and I heat them in boiling water on the gas stove. Not that much more time than a microwave, and no cold spots, and no excessive clean-up either. I don't miss the microwave. I use a campstove toaster - and if I were to add an appliance, a toaster would make more sense for me.

Your lifestyle may differ, so if you're really sure you want one, get it. Just remember to put it on the floor every time you move the camper.

Best wishes, Paula

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Per the National Electric Code, #12 wire is rated for 20 amps (or 2,400 watts). #14 wire is rated for 15 amps or 1,800 watts. Those load capacities must be derated 20% for full time loads. Thus a 1,500 watt electric heater is a full load for a typical branch circuit in a home. That would be a full load for the trailer circuit that the unit was plugged into.

If you take a close look at the fuse panel in the trailer, you can verify the wire size with it's associated fuse to determine if there is a branch circuit that can handle your projected electrical power draw.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote