Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Orlando , Florida
Lights Out

Ackatak here with a problem with the 12-volt interior lights only that are out, on a 1984 Excella 31’ rear twin beds. Seems that a short has occurred. I am in Mexico Beach, Florida on a cross-country trip, which started in Naples, Florida 3 days ago. The interior lights have gone out completely. I’ve looked at all the fuses behind the panel in the front of our trailer and all look good except behind the base of the 50 amp fuse (#19 contacts) was a small screw installed by someone apparently to secure the long fuse block, this screw melted a small hole in part of that fuse block but seems not to have effected the integrity of the block. I removed the screw and tested the 50-amp fuse and it was good. The problem started when I flipped the auto-step and flood lite switches at the door, at that second all interior lights went out.

Any Ideas what the problem is?, Help and send to DerbyTracR@aol.com
I'm at the Rustic Sands RV Park

Ackatak

Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You say you Looked at the fuses but only checked the 50 amp fuse.

The 50 amp fuse would not be connected to any light circuit but it may be the feed for for the complete panel depending on your trailer. Make sure you have voltage to ground on both side of that fuse once you put it back in.

Remove and test all the fuses with a meter. Looks is not a good test. If the fuses test good leave them out. Now test for voltage at the input side of each fuse. If they are all good now look beyond the fuse panel. Get a long piece of wire, to reach the back of the trailer. Hook it to the output side of the bedroom light fuse and with it in hand go to a light that is not working. With your meter see if you have continuity, with the light switch on, to the base of the light bulb socket and the long wire. Make sure you have a good connection at the fuse socket. This will test if the wire for that circuit has opened somewhere in the trailer.

One of these 3 test should locate the problem.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Any luck?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackatak View Post
Ackatak here with a problem with the 12-volt interior lights only that are out, on a 1984 Excella 31’ rear twin beds. Seems that a short has occurred. I am in Mexico Beach, Florida on a cross-country trip, which started in Naples, Florida 3 days ago. The interior lights have gone out completely. I’ve looked at all the fuses behind the panel in the front of our trailer and all look good except behind the base of the 50 amp fuse (#19 contacts) was a small screw installed by someone apparently to secure the long fuse block, this screw melted a small hole in part of that fuse block but seems not to have effected the integrity of the block. I removed the screw and tested the 50-amp fuse and it was good. The problem started when I flipped the auto-step and flood lite switches at the door, at that second all interior lights went out.

Any Ideas what the problem is?, Help and send to DerbyTracR@aol.com
I'm at the Rustic Sands RV Park

Ackatak
Your fuse panel is famous for failures.

When you find which circuit is not functioning because the fuse clips are loose, simpley remove those two wires and install a "in line fuse holder" between them. Or between the main buss and the wire for that circuit.

Problem solced. Cost, about 2 bucks, plus my coffee.

Do not remove the fuse panel, or tinker with it, other than the above.

Andy.