Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2006, 06:42 AM   #1

1965 17' Caravel
Jacksonville , Florida
Light switch???

Hello all,

Just purchased a 65 Caravel and cant seem to figure out what the light switch operates above the sink.

The previous owner seems to think it was for a porch light but I dont have one and dont see where one may have been. I have searched the forums for "scare light" and "light switch" to no avail. Could it possibly be for the range fan or perhaps the heater?

Thanks in advance.

Bill
prepayafterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Hi Bill,
In an 64GT that I once had, there was a toggle sw mounted just to the left of the window over the sink. It was for the "porch light".
Since you stated that your unit doesn't have a porch light, maybe, and this is a wild guess, it was pre-installed for a possible future installation of a outside light?? The range fan sw was located closer to the blower motor unit for that item.
Good luck to you..
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
If not your porch light it will be for your water pump.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Switch

Water pump. Check out everything else the previous owner may have told you about.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
My Argosy water pump switch is right where you describe.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ok, I just went out to the Airstream (67 30') to take some switch shots. (Somebody remind me that Birkenstocks were NOT designed for snow.)
All three pics have blue tint to mark switches.

The first attachment shows the water pump switch, a standard-looking residential light switch located across from the sink along with the AC thermostat and power recepticles.

The second shows the outdoor light switch, a toggle located in front near the 12 v. cabin light fixture.

The third is the Magical Mystery Switch. Also a standard-looking residential light switch, it's located above and to the left of the cabin door. It appears at first blush to operate nothing. It will, however, short out the heater if flipped.

Lynn
Old 12-11-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Mystery Solved

AHHHH Drum Roll......we have one of those Magical Mystery switches tooo

And we also stumped this forum for several posts.

It is an auxilery three way switch for your "Salon" light. (which many people call a kitchen light but it is considered the Salon light)

Turn on your salon light to the level you like (assuming your is a tri light) then go to the wall switch and turn it off. This is a convenient light switch to allow you to get in your trailer without breaking your neck after a night of drinking on the town

And no I am not smart or amazing - just asked the same question three years ago and finally got to the bottom of the mystery.....so back at ya - mark that one off your list....
Old 12-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Will have to dig up the old thread and see who the real winner was....I am thinking it may have been TomW - but not 100% sure.

But what confussed the issue was the correct terminology for the lights and their location.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepayafterd
Hello all,

Just purchased a 65 Caravel and cant seem to figure out what the light switch operates above the sink.

The previous owner seems to think it was for a porch light but I dont have one and dont see where one may have been. I have searched the forums for "scare light" and "light switch" to no avail. Could it possibly be for the range fan or perhaps the heater?

Thanks in advance.

Bill
WATER PUMP - You should hear a humm coming from the front sofa (underneath the front left is an access hatch). The pump will burn up if there is no water in the tank so don't let it run long.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
AHHHH Drum Roll......we have one of those Magical Mystery switches tooo ... (snip, snip) ... It is an auxilery three way switch for your "Salon" light. (which many people call a kitchen light but it is considered the Salon light) ... Turn on your salon light to the level you like (assuming your is a tri light) then go to the wall switch and turn it off. This is a convenient light switch to allow you to get in your trailer without breaking your neck after a night of drinking on the town
Way cool! Feeling around in the dark when entering the AS at night has always been a problem for us!

I'd go out an check it right now, but the weather just stinks; see attachment. (Alas, later today I get to go get on the plow and remove the white stuff from the park. )

Lynn
Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
BRRRRRR that looks cold - I will light the fire for you and have a hot cup of hmm lets see - what do I have left....

The outdoor light is on that side as well - but ours was on the otherside of the window behind a curtain - now that must have been a "man" design thing!!! - not sure why they could not gang the two switches together???
Old 12-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
BRRRRRR that looks cold - I will light the fire for you and have a hot cup of hmm lets see - what do I have left....

The outdoor light is on that side as well - but ours was on the otherside of the window behind a curtain - now that must have been a "man" design thing!!! - not sure why they could not gang the two switches together???
Yes, whoever put the outside light switch so far from the door wasn't thinking too much! I was considering once drilling a hole through the wall and mounting a switch on the outside.

It looks colder than it is! This front is a Pacific one, not coming down from the north, so temperatures are pretty mild. We're in the mid 20s now (early afternoon). During last week's northern front, we were still struggling to get out of the minus numbers by this time of the day.

Lynn
Old 12-11-2006, 04:33 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Alameda , California
Hey, now I want one of those switches too. I have only the overhead light switch on the ceiling lights and no plan to remove the upper inside skins, so no easy way to put in counter-height switches. I'd have to surface-mount the wires, which I may do in the end.

I do have a nice green idiot light that comes on inside with the porch light though - very soothing. And the porch light switch is just inside the door too.
Jacob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Curiosity finally killed the cat, so I ventured out and tested the Magical Mystery Switch with every 12 volt light in the rig. Nada.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
HMMMM a real mystery.

However looking back at your pictures the second one that you say is for the outside light - does NOT look standard - and possibly could have been installed after - because possibly the mystery switch no longer worked????

Or another possibility - that the mystery switch could turn the power on and off to the outside recepticle???

It is for people like me who would sneak over to your camper and run an extension cord for a second fridge for all my beer.....
Old 12-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
It will, however, short out the heater if flipped.
If it were a 3 way switch, it still shouldn't short out the heater circuit.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Hummm. When I venture out again, I'm going to take a peek at the owner's manual. It gives a schematic along with approximate locations of various switches. Could be that we do indeed have an extra, non-original switch (in which case I'll probably leave good enough alone!).

Lynn
Old 03-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Pasadena , California
So glad to know we're not alone! We are also puzzled by a similar switch in our Tradewind. It seems to have two AC wires leading to it, but it's dead. My husband checked all the other wire/circuits and it was the only one that didn't show a current.

Is it warming up in Angel Fire? We were there for Memorial Day last year. It was beautiful!

Natalie
NataliePK is offline   Reply With Quote