Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2005, 06:04 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
'double bull"....hmmmm, i thought that was a texas story....

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:05 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Sorry about the lack of info....

Glen et al -

Sorry that the latest round of software updates erased my trailer info. Guess you can't be to careful these days... but I dare ANYONE to try to make off with SilverToy or ANY of my other stuff. Dogs and ??? are waiting for you to TRY!!!!!

Glen, I have a '92 Classic Limited 34' coach. She has the 9074 and 9075 lenses in a three wide mounting on the rear - also has a back up light lens. Not sure of the # and it is DARK out there tonight. Will look and post that tomorrow, if it matters. It ISN'T the backup lights I am concerned about at the moment.

Also am unsure of the running light model numbers at the moment. Where do I find a relavent number - in the housings?

Is there any concern with the elsewhere mentioned 'constant on' condition with the running light or brake LED's, or is that not an issue. Resolved? Fire or sparks BAD! ANYWHERE! Least of all on my BABY (hope the wife doesn't read this!). All info appreciated!!!!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:47 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Axel, I believe that your coach should have either the double bull or a more streamlined version of marker lights. You can purchase both from Superbright.
I like the version I installed on my coach. I'm also going to take a look at the board versions of the 1157 and 1156 offered by Superbright.
A little adaptation of the boards could do what we need for classic coaches and trailers.
The big question I have for the replacements offered is how to mount them. I've envisioned a moulded surround with standoffs in both back and front directions to stabilize them in the reflector and keep them off the lens.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #84
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
LED"s

Warmed up a little here yesterday. 24 degrees. So I went out to the barn and installed one of the 90 degree led light bulbs. It shines up really good!!
What I did was go to an automotive supplier and buy a socket for 1157 bulbs that would fit right into the socket in the reflector. The wire end is smaller than the bulb end. I wedged it in and put a piece of duct tape around it so it wouldn't work loose. That way I could turn the bulb 180 degrees which was needed as they pointed backward. It also extended the bulb out to the center of the reflector. If I decide to do this to all of them, I will spot weld the socket into the reflector socket.
I don't know about the heating problem. I am going to use my little dremel tool and cut off the rear of the unit. It is full of holes, but I could get more cooling if I opened it up. Then when the clearance lights are on, only 15 led's are lit, and when braking all 30 light up. See, I wonder if the heat problem is with all 30 lit all the time. I need to experiment. Since there are four clearance/brake lights, I will replace one on each side and try it for a while.

I'll let you know.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:18 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Photos??

Jim -

Trying to follow what you were saying about 'turning the LED bulb' but "not getting it" Photos? Same with the duct tape holding something... Sorry, I am the visual type and get lost in the verbage sometimes.

Glen, do you happen to have photos of the running light replacements you have done? See above - just a visual guy....

Thanks guys!

Axel
Old 12-12-2005, 01:27 PM   #86
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
The bulbs are double contact and only fit in one way. Unfortunately the socket in the reflector is set so that the bulbs face the back of the reflector. Rather than try to turn the socket 180 degrees, (which I tried and they are built very well and can't be turned without damage), I bought new sockets from an auto store and inserted the base into the original sockets but turned 180 degrees.

I will try to get some pictures.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 12-12-2005, 03:22 PM   #87
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Okay, I went out to the barn with the camera. Here are the pictures. They don't really show the light as they appear. It is dark in the barn and the flash made the led's look yellow in the picture. They are not. In the photos, both tail lights are on. One is the brake and the other without the brake. Also there is a picture of the reflector with the bulb in backwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake_led1.1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	17023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake_led2.1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	17024  

Attached Images

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 12-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

I just bought a pair of the 1156 white 36 LED board-mounted "backup" lights and a pair of the same in red (1157) from them. I've had these in my hands, "loose" but lit up; they're don't seem to get very hot. I'm gonna install them in THESE late-60's/early-'70's Airstream taillight housings, which i'm gonna subsequently retrofit to my '77 Argosy 20' MH:

My plan is to use some ~1/2" thick styrofoam "blocks" left over from when Stanley Steemer was here; I'll glue 'em into the "cans", and then doublestick tape the LED boards onto the styrofoam. . .
TheGanzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:26 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Socket turned!?

Jim -

Thanks for the photos you posted. Helped a bunch. Those you posted seem to be exactly what I have in my unit. Have a question about the socket you purchased and mounted. By socket, do you mean what the bulb actually 'plugs' into. If so, do they just get removed ( easily??) from the back of the factory housing/reflector? If it is more invloved, please enlighten me!?

Sorry for the continual questions but life is CRAZY and when I get into this, I want it to be as easy as I can make it. Not that things with AS's ever are!

Also, the LED's that you got are a plug and go deal, not like the post after you, who referenced a 'board' that he was going to tape to a base within his fixture. Advantage to one or the other???

Glen - do you by chance have a photo of those running light additions??

Thanks everyone!

Love this board!!!!!!!!!!!

Axel
Old 12-14-2005, 07:07 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Marker light conversion

Just uploaded a shot of the new marker lights. Low res image. Take a look.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 12-14-2005, 10:35 AM   #91
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
If you wanted to install a bulb somewhere you would drill a certain sized hole and then slide a socket into it. That is the socket I am talking about. On my unit it slid in with a tight fit. I put tape maround it to keep it from jiggling free. If I decide to make it permanent, I will use my mig welder and spot weld it in.

One thing is that you slide the old contacts out of the socket installed in the reflector and use the contacts on the new socket running the wires throu8gh them old socket.

I guess pictures would tell it better. Big snow today and I need to plow but will get more pictures soon.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 12-16-2005, 11:57 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Photo no go...!

Glen -

Tried to find you lo-res photo but no go... Couldn't find it. Are the running lights you mounted similar to AS running lights that have been mounted for the last 10 years or so? Newer style, older? Thinking that updating the RL to a current style would actually be a good thing. Course, mine isn't that 'vintage', yet...!

Jim - hope you get dug out soon! and looking forward to the photos you referenced. Just to try to get things clearer in my head - did you wond up removing the original 'socket' and replace with a "new" socket? Or where you saying that the "new" socket fit into the original socket with the guts/wires removed??? Sorry for being a dork about this but am trying to visualize your effort. Thanks for hanging with me on this!!!!

Axel
Old 12-17-2005, 05:26 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Axel, try this link. I uploaded these to the general photo library and you would have to have gone to my photos, then selected a photo to enlarge, then you could click on see all GlenCoombe's photos before you could find it. I'm still trying to figure out how to attach photos to posts. It never seems to work for me the same way twice. I've done it in the past put working from 3 different computers is a challenge.
http://www.airforums.com/photo...imageuser=8416

The style is direct replacement of the old "double bull" lens stlye. Sealed 13 LED array. On ebay just search for Calboy1 or go to Superbright to see them or the more streamlined type of smooth lens. I liked the vintage look so went this way.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 12-17-2005, 08:26 AM   #94
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Jim - hope you get dug out soon! and looking forward to the photos you referenced. Just to try to get things clearer in my head - did you wond up removing the original 'socket' and replace with a "new" socket? Or where you saying that the "new" socket fit into the original socket with the guts/wires removed??? Sorry for being a dork about this but am trying to visualize your effort. Thanks for hanging with me on this!!!!

The new socket fits into the old socket with the guts removed. It is a tight fit and then I put a wrap of duct tape to secure it from jiggling loose.
Got dug out and now it is COLD!! 5 degrees this morning.

Axel[/quote]

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
LED's Installed in 2003 25' Classic

Received the LED replacements for my '03 Classic as a Christmas present and thought I'd share my before and after pics. The before pic is earlier in the day than the after pic so please take that into consideration when comparing brightness. Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before_Forum.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	17382   Click image for larger version

Name:	After_Forum.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	17383  

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:51 PM   #96
_

. , .
good gift from santa, barkingspider......

it's really hard to demonstrate how much brighter these leds are than the original bulbs.....have you seen them at night? i've been trying to take a nightime photo....but haven't been able to move from the truck brake pedal to the rear end quick enough!!

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:26 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
good gift from santa, barkingspider......

it's really hard to demonstrate how much brighter these leds are than the original bulbs.....have you seen them at night? i've been trying to take a nightime photo....but haven't been able to move from the truck brake pedal to the rear end quick enough!!

cheers
2air'
2air,
To get a night time photo without a helper, just put your hazard flashers "on" and just time your photo appropriately.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
2air,
To get a night time photo without a helper, just put your hazard flashers "on" and just time your photo appropriately.
Or just get a 2X4 and wedge it between the seat and brake pedal. I've even used a partial bag of #7 1/2 shot to weight the pedal down so I could test lights out when I'm alone.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
LED Tail Lights on a 64 Overlander

I found LED lights that would fit inside the Bargman 99 lenses on our 64 Overlander. The lights were Grote 53432. There's more information and photos here. http://chatt.hdsb.ca/~davidsong/LED/LEDConversion.html

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #100
_

. , .
hello all

hi grant,

"I found LED lights that would fit inside the Bargman 99 lenses on our 64 Overlander"

great job on the conversion.
clearly the leds are brighter. excellent photos too. your efforts should help anyone who is considering the upgrade....

and guys, thanks for the suggestions on getting a "brakelight" photo.....but i was joking.....and besides i AM quick enough already!

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote