Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve
John,
On the superbrightled.com site the 2nd light is:
ST-R61 Truck Light - Red LED
Truck Stop/Tail/Turn Light with 61 Super RED LEDs
12 VDC, Four inches diameter DOT SAE Approved
Grommet, Flange and Plug sold separately below $ 24.95

Any idea how they are not equivalent? Just wondered about the differences.

Thanks John,
Steve
The Airstream conversion, as shown above in the photos, replaces the guts of the lights and retains the original appearance. The light you reference is a complete sealed unit of a totally different form factor.

Now, it would probably be possible to "gut" the light you reference and find a way to mount the guts behind the Airstream lenses, but at $24.94 per unit that would be an awful lot of effort to save $.05 per each for the 4 light units over the Airstream price of $25 each.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
To clear up any confusion I took my measurement (3.75 inches) of the screw holes not the outside of the lens.
I'm going to order a couple of new LED units from AS tomorrow and have a look at them.
I believe it is possible to manufacture a smaller version of the module offered by AS so that classic MH and TT owners could convert as well.
It's acutally quite simple and once we have a working prototype I can do a small run....one thousand boards.... time will tell as far as cost goes.
I figure 20-25 LED's and we'll work out a way to adapt the existing wiring perhaps with a rubber grommet to fill the hole created by removing the old bulb socket.
I'm not crazy.... I'm just a carrier!

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

John said: <to save $.05 per each for the 4 light units over the Airstream price of $25 each.>
John, that was not the point. With my pre '93 unit the *size* did not fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
To clear up any confusion I took my measurement (3.75 inches) of the screw holes not the outside of the lens.
I'm going to order a couple of new LED units from AS tomorrow and have a look at them.
I believe it is possible to manufacture a smaller version of the module offered by AS so that classic MH and TT owners could convert as well.
It's acutally quite simple ...
Glen,
That sounds great. My second post was just to do something like you are planning to do (just for myself though as I can't manufacture them).

Look forward to your future posts on this!
Steve
Old 10-26-2005, 02:45 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Count me in!!!!!

Glen -

Also have a pre - 93 unit with the Monarch 9074 and 9075 lenses. Mine also curve as someone previous mentioned. I AM IN! on any units that you/helpers can create that would allow me to use the better/ brighter/ less power using LED's on my unit.

Let me know when you get a beta prototype and I'll gladly be the guinnie pig for this one!

Axel
Old 10-26-2005, 09:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
o.k. guys, what I need from each of you (if willing) is a precise screw to screw measurement on your lens. With that measurement I need your year and model. Also a photo of the lens and receptical might help too. Take a look across your tail light array and see if you are using 1157 for stop/turn/tail and 1156 for backup.

I've sent photos of the current AS board as well as 1156 direct board type connect to China today. My plan is to make some prototypes of different sizes that will be direct plug in to your existing bulb socket.

My hope is to make it "idiot proof" so that only a screwdriver is required to retrofit to LED's.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 10-27-2005, 01:00 AM   #34
_

. , .
hi glen and others

so you're gonna bootleg some asian knockoff huh? can't wait to see them...what i'd like is a multibulb led replacement for the teardrop running lights....5 rear and 3 front and 3 each side is 14 or so on many of the trailers....they could plug into the current bulb socket or better yet a small tear shaped circuit board with 3-7 leds that replaces the innards...some in yellow and some in red.....

no more corrision from moisture and replacing blubs every few weeks...

make some of these and you'll have 100s of buyers....beating airstrem to the improvement.

what'd ya think?

cheers
2air'
Old 10-27-2005, 07:23 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
2air, what bulb type is used in the tear drop installation? Does it plug directly in? If so that would be much easier than a direct connect and PCB retrofit. Yes, you would still have to deal with the poss. of corrosion.
How do the teardrops mount? Is the lens a snap on like the regular puck style? Does the rear assembly in the tear drop have screws or rivits?
A PCB solution is not out of the question just another exersize.
I need to assemble a list of the different types of bulbs used for each position around the coach / trailer by year/model. Help!!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 10-28-2005, 08:07 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
'92 Sovereign 21'

Quote:
o.k. guys, what I need from each of you (if willing) is a precise screw to screw measurement on your lens. With that measurement I need your year and model. Also a photo of the lens and receptical might help too. Take a look across your tail light array and see if you are using 1157 for stop/turn/tail and 1156 for backup.

I've sent photos of the current AS board as well as 1156 direct board type connect to China today. My plan is to make some prototypes of different sizes that will be direct plug in to your existing bulb socket.

My hope is to make it "idiot proof" so that only a screwdriver is required to retrofit to LED's.
Hi Glen,

I took some pictures and measurements this afternoon of my '92 Sovereign 21'. The three light housings are identical in size - they are all 3-5/8" from center of screw to center of screw, and 1-3/8" deep. The measurement from the back of the housing to the center of the light recepticle is 5/8". The two outside bulbs are 1157's and the backup is 1156. I'm attaching some pics.

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail Lights 1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	15832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail Lights 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	15833  

Name:	Tail Lights 3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	15834  
Old 10-29-2005, 08:14 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Mookie, thanks for your post. We share the same tail light assembly. Now to figure out how far back these go..... and what other variations there are.
BTW I was comming home last night and came up behind a tractor trailer with LED marker lights... MAN! those things where bright!! And of course he had them just about as close together as he could have mounted them. Looked like brake lights.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 10-29-2005, 09:32 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Mookie, thanks for your post. We share the same tail light assembly. Now to figure out how far back these go..... and what other variations there are.
BTW I was comming home last night and came up behind a tractor trailer with LED marker lights... MAN! those things where bright!! And of course he had them just about as close together as he could have mounted them. Looked like brake lights.
Now dont for get us folks with old Bargman 99's

Actually That ST-R61 4 inch round 61 LED on the super bright led site might just fit inside a 99 lens. The lens is 7 inches in Diameter but I think thats overall. It has about a 3/4 inch step around the edge where the mount screws go. Have to measure them up tonight. The depth will be the problem. The bulb sockets are surface mount, So with thos removed I would have a bout 1 inch depth I think. The question is if there is enough room for the plug.

Worse case I could cut a hole in the back of the bargman mount and tuck the wires through or use the rubber gromit to mount it directly to the body like on a Semi then put the lens over it.

I think we have found a way to make Chili happy and keep the retro Wedding cake and make me happy with a manintance free BRIGHT LED.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:35 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
59Toaster, sounds like I may need to see a photo of your vintage. I'd like to make just one board for each type of bulb replacement. One for 1156 and one for 1157. If you can take a photo that would be great.
I've been back and forth with my Korean partner who is in China this week.
We are very actively working on this idea....as we speak..er.. write

Let's light 'em up!!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 10-30-2005, 05:49 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
These are 99's. They are surface mount. People use coffee can / Pain can bottoms and lids to make new reflectors.
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...Code=VTS%2D112

The way the assembly is made the socket would have to be removed to make room for a board. So the board would need to be round with the pigtails and some stand offs to keep the back of the board off the housing to prevent it from grounding.

Would actually be pretty easy to make.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:48 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
59Toaster, I'm a very visual kind of guy. Can you shoot a shot of the inside assembly "reflector" for me? Without the lens on? I'd like to see the orientation of the socket as well as depth.
So far my idea is to make a PCB board populated with high intensity LED's and then to have standoffs on the corners as well as "wings" from each corner out to the screw holes.
Each unit would have a bulb type base on the end of the wire pigtail that could be used by those who do not wish to splice wires. But also with enough wire to allow you to direct connect.
We'll end up with a more passive product that will be held in place by the lens screws.
The board will also have resistors to fool the signal stat into believing that all is well. Some of the LED products give such a low draw that the signal stat goes into default "bulb out" mode and does the rapid flash.
More as it develops.
My guy is coming back from China in about two weeks and I hope he'll have some samples with him or on the way shortly.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-01-2005, 08:26 AM   #42
Site Team

, Minnesota
Bargman99

If Eric doesn't mind, I will jump in here and save him the time to take pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Barg99 001.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	15929   Click image for larger version

Name:	taillightBarg99 002.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	15930  

Name:	taillightBarg99 004.jpg