Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Woodstock ON , Ontario
LED Lights - Frequent Failure

My 2015 AS comes equipped with LED lights in every position.

I need some advice.

How to remove/replace the round ceiling light fixtures so I can repair/replace the LED's?

and second:

Is there any particular reason a LED will fail completely, then work partially or perfectly next time it's turned on?

Your advice will be appreciated....!
cbrittan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Loose connections or solder joint bad on the assembly? That's what I'd look for.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
You can remove the inside glass ring to change the bulb or remove the entire fixture to access the wires to check the connection. Either way you will need strong finger nails or a sharp thin knife blade to get under both to pry off.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrittan View Post
My 2015 AS comes equipped with LED lights in every position.

I need some advice.

How to remove/replace the round ceiling light fixtures so I can repair/replace the LED's?

and second:

Is there any particular reason a LED will fail completely, then work partially or perfectly next time it's turned on?

Your advice will be appreciated....!

Could be they are overheating in the fixture if it is enclosed?

I had some in our house in enclosed light fixtures that did exactly the same thing - then I noticed fine print on the packaging that said "Not for use in enclosed fixtures."

I had them in brass/glass multi bulb octagonal ceiling fixtures. I removed two of the eight small glass panels to get airflow into the fixture, and they have been fine ever since.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mattituck , New York
I have had to replace the led illuminating diode because the solder joint to the circuit board dislodged,
darsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Ah ha! The costly LED I put in my "fright light" outside failed within a few hours of use. The package it came in did not warn to not use in enclosed space.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
First off, if you have a 2015, the lights should be covered under warranty repair. I have a 2014 25 ft. FC FB and have had the same problem. 6 out of 10 lights out in one of my rear brake lights, LED lights failing in light fixtures over sink and then over table. All were replaced as part of my 2 year warranty. It would seem to me that if this is becoming a common problem, AS is going to need to address it.
wcapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:45 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Woodstock ON , Ontario
Yes, ours is a 2015 and some lights have already been replaced by my dealer. However, I am now in Florida a long ways from my home dealer and in just 2 short weeks here I have 2 defective light bulbs, both of which show partial light but are not illuminating properly.

I am asking readers for a more detailed description of "how to remove the round fixture" from it's mounting on the inside ceiling of my AS. Obviously I don't want to damage either the fixture itself or the ceiling panel.

Recovering the cost of the bulbs is not an issue at this time.....

Can anyone offer an detailed explanation as to best way to remove the fixture?
cbrittan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:08 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
LED Lights - Frequent Failure

The fixtures have 2 metal rings with the glass in the center. To replace the LED element, stick a fingernail under the edge of the inner ring and pry it out. The glass and its bezel (the inner metal ring) are held in by spring fingers. The entire fixture comes out by similarly popping out the outer ring/bezel - the fixture is a little can held in with spring fingers.

I wouldn't use anything metal to do this - you will inevitably scratch the light or the roof of the trailer. If your fingernails aren't getting it done, I would make a tool by taking a plastic knife (picnic utensil) and filing own the edge to a fine edge and using fine sandpaper to get it very smooth (so it doesn't mark the metal). You could also try a credit card.

Dan Brown at LED4RV.com is an expert on this stuff. I believe he worked at ODM before starting his own business and is very familiar with Airstream lighting.

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
On my 2015 (which also has multiple lamp failures), the LED element is hardwired into the fixture, so only replacing the entire fixture is an option.
The replacement fixtures I received from AS have spring clips to hold them in the ceiling. You "just" pull the whole thing out and the clips will become visible. But it's hard and it will feel like you are going to break something. See attached pics.
Also, the fixtures have been wired in with crimp connectors that will not release for me.
In a home, electricians use the screw-down caps. But these are single-use crimp connector caps (not sure if there is a proper name for them).

Does anyone have advice on pulling these darn connectors apart so I can install my replacement lights?

TIA

lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Those appear to be some kind of crimp-on connectors. I would just cut the wires as close to the connectors as possible. Strip the wire ends, and connect the new light wires using a twist of the wires and the appropriate sized twist-on caps.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
Sometimes you can squeeze the crimp the opposite direction from how it was originally crimped to open it up enough to remove the wires. But it's usually easiest to just cut off the connector as close as possible to the metal crimp band, and re-strip the wire. Personally, I would attach the new lights with crimp on connectors.
Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:53 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Thanks guys. I'm just back from Home Depot with screw-down caps. I'm going to try again to de-crimp the existing caps, because these LED fixtures appear to be so unreliable that I anticipate having to replace them again, so I want all the length I can get on the existing wires!

I'm pretty annoyed with Airstream. They should not be failing so soon (3 bad ones in less than 6 months), and they should be modular. At least they shipped me more replacements than I asked for —*probably because they know how bad the fixtures are...
Old 05-01-2016, 01:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
More Airstream parts proudly acquired from the lowest bidder. and that associated quality...

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
More Airstream parts proudly acquired from the lowest bidder. and that associated quality...
Switz, if there was a facebook-style "Like" button, I'd click it.
I've already had emergency plumbing work done. And upgraded some of the other cheap electronic components. And replaced the mattress.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdesign View Post
On my 2015 (which also has multiple lamp failures), the LED element is hardwired into the fixture, so only replacing the entire fixture is an option.
The replacement fixtures I received from AS have spring clips to hold them in the ceiling. You "just" pull the whole thing out and the clips will become visible. But it's hard and it will feel like you are going to break something. See attached pics.
Also, the fixtures have been wired in with crimp connectors that will not release for me.
In a home, electricians use the screw-down caps. But these are single-use crimp connector caps (not sure if there is a proper name for them).

Does anyone have advice on pulling these darn connectors apart so I can install my replacement lights?

TIA
I can't imagine why AS would hardwire an expendable item such as a light bulb. Have you talked with AS? That disc looks like it should have a G4 bipin in the rear. Plugging into two tiny holes such as a G4 halogen bulb. Since you will be sacrificing the fixture anyway, I would try to extract that bulb by pulling equally on the sides. It looks like there is some kind of circuitry onboard the bulb. Because trailer voltage will vary from about 12 volts to over 13 volts when charging LEDs need a buck controller on board to convert the voltage. Buck circuit controllers will usually work from about 10 to 30 volts.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

I solder my wires together. Using shrink wrap around the connection. I've never had trouble soldering. I think it provides a better connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Airlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I also solder automotive electrical connections, but I usually reserve soldering for more permanent connections. I don't think that I would go to that much effort for expendables like light bulbs.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
... That disc looks like it should have a G4 bipin in the rear. Plugging into two tiny holes such as a G4 halogen bulb. ...
Unfortunately, it is not like a halogen fixture that a LED G4 retrofit plugs into. There is no G4 receptacle in these fixtures. The LED element screws onto the fixture, and is hardwired in. They are not based on a halogen fixture design at all.

Having seen what a pain this will be, I was just considering replacing the failed ones with halogen fixtures, and using G4 retrofit lamps, as I did with the halogen fixtures in my last, older, AS. At least that way as the bulbs failed I'd be able to pop new ones in...

What do you folks think about that?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:24 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
You know, all the fixtures that are failing are in switched circuits where there are only two lamps. The sets of 4 or 6 or 8 are not failing (yet).
Could it be from too much voltage, and the larger sets are receiving safety in numbers by sharing the voltage in larger groups?
If so, would it be prudent to put a resistor in-line as I replace them? And any ideas what kind and how?

TIA