Old 05-01-2016, 03:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
More Airstream parts proudly acquired from the lowest bidder. and that associated quality...
Switz, if there was a facebook-style "Like" button, I'd click it.
I've already had emergency plumbing work done. And upgraded some of the other cheap electronic components. And replaced the mattress.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdesign View Post
On my 2015 (which also has multiple lamp failures), the LED element is hardwired into the fixture, so only replacing the entire fixture is an option.
The replacement fixtures I received from AS have spring clips to hold them in the ceiling. You "just" pull the whole thing out and the clips will become visible. But it's hard and it will feel like you are going to break something. See attached pics.
Also, the fixtures have been wired in with crimp connectors that will not release for me.
In a home, electricians use the screw-down caps. But these are single-use crimp connector caps (not sure if there is a proper name for them).

Does anyone have advice on pulling these darn connectors apart so I can install my replacement lights?

TIA
I can't imagine why AS would hardwire an expendable item such as a light bulb. Have you talked with AS? That disc looks like it should have a G4 bipin in the rear. Plugging into two tiny holes such as a G4 halogen bulb. Since you will be sacrificing the fixture anyway, I would try to extract that bulb by pulling equally on the sides. It looks like there is some kind of circuitry onboard the bulb. Because trailer voltage will vary from about 12 volts to over 13 volts when charging LEDs need a buck controller on board to convert the voltage. Buck circuit controllers will usually work from about 10 to 30 volts.

TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

I solder my wires together. Using shrink wrap around the connection. I've never had trouble soldering. I think it provides a better connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-01-2016, 06:23 PM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I also solder automotive electrical connections, but I usually reserve soldering for more permanent connections. I don't think that I would go to that much effort for expendables like light bulbs.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:35 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
... That disc looks like it should have a G4 bipin in the rear. Plugging into two tiny holes such as a G4 halogen bulb. ...
Unfortunately, it is not like a halogen fixture that a LED G4 retrofit plugs into. There is no G4 receptacle in these fixtures. The LED element screws onto the fixture, and is hardwired in. They are not based on a halogen fixture design at all.

Having seen what a pain this will be, I was just considering replacing the failed ones with halogen fixtures, and using G4 retrofit lamps, as I did with the halogen fixtures in my last, older, AS. At least that way as the bulbs failed I'd be able to pop new ones in...

What do you folks think about that?
Old 05-03-2016, 03:24 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
You know, all the fixtures that are failing are in switched circuits where there are only two lamps. The sets of 4 or 6 or 8 are not failing (yet).
Could it be from too much voltage, and the larger sets are receiving safety in numbers by sharing the voltage in larger groups?
If so, would it be prudent to put a resistor in-line as I replace them? And any ideas what kind and how?

TIA
Old 05-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #21
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
is this a 2015 model problem?

Disappointing the hear of LED light failures. In my 2013 FC, all of the overhead lights are LED. the light switch for the main part of the AS turns on 10 of them in the ceiling, and the light switch in the bedroom turns on another 4 or 6. Through 3 summers, I have had NONE of them fail (although the one by the refer has a single mini-bulb that glows after the lights have been turned off. It does not bother me enough to do anything about it).

So the obvious question. Are the lights in my 2013 FC different than the ones in 2015 model years? Or have I just been lucky (so far)?
Old 05-04-2016, 12:50 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
So the obvious question. Are the lights in my 2013 FC different than the ones in 2015 model years? Or have I just been lucky (so far)?
I don't know. Can you post a pic or two? How many LED elements are in each one? In mine there are 9 elements *3 triangular groups of 3 LEDs, almost like 3 flower petals.

All of my ceiling lights that are 4+ lamps on one circuit are likewise fine. Only the ones that are 2 on a circuit are failing (3 different lights from three different sets of 2 lamps in various locations *bathroom, and 2 cabinets)
Old 05-04-2016, 04:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
As I have a 2015 model year, this is an interesting thread.

First, the life of the LED should be in the thousands of hours of use. Second, if more than rated voltage is applied to an LED bit goes quickly. Third, use only crimp connectors, not the screw type, as the vibrations from towing could cause the screw type to come off, creating a potential short circuit.

If, I have an LED in my unit go out even in the first four years, I will be contacting JC with serious concerns. The point of using LEDs is they have a life span dozens of times greater than incandescents, and we have paid for this when we purchased the trailer.

But, my thinking is it must be too high a voltage or some type of voltage spike, short circuit, or something causing the failure. This especially true if multiple LEDs have failed.

Incidentally, I converted a 2009 International Ocean Breeze to all LEDs, and a 44 foot moho, both not inexpensive to convert.

And, one other idea...use an LED rated at a minimum of 15v, as the voltage in your circuits may be 14.8 on a regular basis. I am wondering if having the AS plugged into a shore line may contribute to the failures and maybe my installation of the triple stage charger converter is a safeguard against this.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
msmoto, thank you. I agree —*in my last AS, which was halogen that I converted to LED with aftermarket LED G4 elements, I had no problems. It's doubly vexing because these factory fixtures do not allow for a simple swap-out of the LED element.
BTW, there were two halogen bulbs over the stove that I replaced with G4 LEDs, and they are still fine.
I'd happily replace my converter if that would be a fix, as I understand the factory converter boils the batteries and is generally not among the best available.
AS sent me replacement fixtures, but I don't want to keep swapping in new ones as time goes on. it's annoying and wasteful.

BTW, love your photography.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2015 23D International Serenity was built the last week of September, 2014. There is a single LED fixture above the bed and the dinette. The two bulb circuits are above the kitchen and bathroom sinks plus inside at the rear roof locker. We have the Magnum MSH-3012 as the charger/inverter device so perhaps we will not have these LED failures.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:05 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Voltage in AS

AS wires things with a common ground, that is, one cannot find the ground circuit anywhere near the on/off switch, to my understanding. I struggled with this when I wanted to have a dimmer for the dinette lamps, only to discover I had to have both wires available for the unit I wanted to install.

In any case, voltage will be the same in all the circuits unless there is a huge draw, probably not possible without tripping a breaker.

what could be useful is to check the monitor panel from time to time and see if possibly the voltage is over 14.8v at any time. My rudimentary electrical knowledge would suggest this may indicate an faulty converter charger or other problem, thus resulting in a failure of the LEDs.

Another thought might be to contact Dan at LED4RV.com, as he is very familiar with these issues and may have a solution. Dan is the one who supplied the many LEDs I used for my conversions. He has been very reliable and offers good product.

And, thanks for the comment on my photos....here is one from St. Augustine...

NRF_St_Augustine_04.28.2016_TFL-7 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:01 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Dan at LED4RV.com responded very quickly and said these Airstream LED lights have about a 10% failure rate in the first year. So I'm bumping up against that, with two more lamps starting to flicker. But I'll replace them manually while under warranty. After that, I might swap them out with older G4 fixtures and use easier, cheaper LED modular replacements.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Not sure what I would do without the knowledge on this board.
I spoke with LED4RV and he told me to remove the inner ring to access the bulbs, Sounded easy, I tried and figured there was no way that ring was separate, so figured I had a different fixture.
After reading this thread, I was able to remove the can from the ceiling quite easily, so after doing that I figured one more try..... and with considerable resistance, but a bit more leverage with the can in my hand, was able to pry the inner ring free.
Only bought LEDs for the reading lights since I couldn't access the ceiling lights, will have to order some of them now.
$10 a bulb for 11 bulbs seems a bit extreme though if they have the potential of failing after a short time.