Old 05-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
I have been looking for some LED's to replace my 1141's in my fixtures. I knew that I didn't want the direct bulb replacements, the type that have LED's around the entire cylinder. I wanted the type that had the flat panel of LED's attached to the base. This way I can mount them the way I want.

I found some at LEDwholesalers They are $12 per plus tax (CA) and shipping. I have attached a pic of the bulb itself. I got the warm white. I mounted one in a dual light fixture. You can see the results in the attached pics.

I am happy with both the performance and the price. They also don't get as hot as the standard bulb (see the hole in my lens cover?). The company is in Burlingame, CA and I happen to be going there next week. Going to get some more and save the shipping.

FYI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5027.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	103544   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5029.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	103545  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5028.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	103546   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5030.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	103547  

Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Smd

Quote:
Originally Posted by casarodante View Post
I have been looking for some LED's to replace my 1141's in my fixtures. I knew that I didn't want the direct bulb replacements, the type that have LED's around the entire cylinder. I wanted the type that had the flat panel of LED's attached to the base. This way I can mount them the way I want.

I am happy with both the performance and the price. They also don't get as hot as the standard bulb (see the hole in my lens cover?). The company is in Burlingame, CA and I happen to be going there next week. Going to get some more and save the shipping.

FYI
casarodante

This is an SMD LED and they are very nice. They are bright and run a lot warmer than the plastic type.

The tape on the back on all these degrade over time. The warmer the the quicker. If they fall down they can be reattached with hot glue.

FYI

Also, the plastic can be glued to the lens for a greater light out-put. Not with Hot Glue but with 68540 Loctite.

Dan

Old 07-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I have installed a number of these from Out of Doors Mart (I think the AS store has them too). They work great, very bright but a warm tone. The self stick doesn't work too well (previous experience on my SOB) so I glue them to the fixture with RTV. Eventually all of my interior lights will be LED as we camp without hookups more often than not. If you run an ammeter and do a before an after, it is amazing how much battery storage amps you save using these lights.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
casarodante

This is an SMD LED and they are very nice. They are bright and run a lot warmer than the plastic type.

The tape on the back on all these degrade over time. The warmer the the quicker. If they fall down they can be reattached with hot glue.

FYI

Also, the plastic can be glued to the lens for a greater light out-put. Not with Hot Glue but with 68540 Loctite.

Dan
Dan, I am quite a novice at the LED market but the ones that I have appear to be SMD also. It seems the give away is the yellow color where the light emits. It appears to me the ones in the above picture are a bit smaller (yellow portion) and are using a magnifying lens to assist.

Thanks for the tip about the tape. Heat is definitely a problem, especially Central CA (cool today - 92).
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Maybe I missed it, but what is the difference between a "normal" LED and a SMD?
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
SMD = Surface mount device... A true SMD has no wires or legs as attachment points, the backing-substrate body itself gets soldered into the circuit. So an SMD LED literally can be the size of * <--- this or over an inch square, its just how its mechanically & electrically attached that makes it SMD.

Also SMD LEDs usually have their lenses added later to make custom fittings for whichever application suits designers so an SMD can be melded into most any fitment.

The "other type" is a discrete device, with metal legs protruding from molded plastic which acts as both the connecting wire supports and the optical lens. portion. Think half a vitamin tablet with wire legs.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Size, heat and power

Quote:
Originally Posted by casarodante View Post
Dan, I am quite a novice at the LED market but the ones that I have appear to be SMD also. It seems the give away is the yellow color where the light emits. It appears to me the ones in the above picture are a bit smaller (yellow portion) and are using a magnifying lens to assist.

Thanks for the tip about the tape. Heat is definitely a problem, especially Central CA (cool today - 92).
SoyBoy
Yes the picture above( and now below) is a design where the light is magnified and is done in a way to have the light spread out and be more even. The thing about this one is the way it is mounted. It allows air under the LED. That is why this can be mounted directly to the lens. The main body of one LED is about twice the size of a SMD.

LED size does not matter here. The three big factors are; "will this light fit in the space you want it to go" and " how much power does it use", and "how much heat does it put out"?

The measurement of the lights is always important. We put that in all out pictures. If it is too large and won't fit, you can't use it.

The next thing is the power that is used. LED's use less power but how much? If you want to know the watts then it is.
Amps x Volts = Watts.
To get the Amps you need an amp meter and hook up the light is series with the power and light.

The reason this would be important is. Not all SMD are the same. Some are 2 chip and others are 3 chip. If you put a 7 to 9 volts to one of them you will see two little lights or 3 little lights. The 3 chips are brighter.

Yes SMD stands for "Surface Mount Device" like Wabbiteer stated and can be used in a bulb style.

You see where the LED is mounted to the small board in this bulb style at the blue arrow.
The other factor is heat. If you are Dry Camping or not, then heat is a factor. If you are using your AC then the AC does not have to work as hard to keep you cool. If you are turning your AC on for the first time in the middle of a hot day and you have halogens then this is a BIG factor. LEDs are a lot cooler.

Of course, if your camping in the Winter or when it is cool, you may want the heat.

Dan
Old 08-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #36
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
We do mostly dry camping so I have replaced most of my lighting with LED and
flouresent lights. Being on a limited budget (retired) I found the 1156 lamps on EBAY and they are from HongCong..I put 4 in each ceiling light, also I purchased a 10Watt
flouresent under counter light from Wal-Mart, and use my 100 Watt converter to power it. This cut my lighting power consumption by about 80% We just returned from a 2 week trip and found that we only needed to charge once every 4 days.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
2006 30' Classic S/O
Pine Bluff , Arkansas
I have two bulba "out" in my '06 classic, the bulbs have the number C912. Can anyone tell me the number of the replacement bulbs,will the number be C912 or another, they are the pin style and I don't care even if they are LED.. glogeo
Old 10-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I saw this on the Long Long Honeymooner's site

VIDEO: Let There Be LED

VIDEO: Let there be… LED | LongLongHoneymoon.com | Videos, tips & information for Airstream / RV travelers

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #39

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
In my 34' Excella (which I have sold) I installed thin strip LED lights as replacements for the florescent bulbs that were in the ceiling fixtures and was quite happy! I put three (3) warm light strips in each fixture and found that not only was it brighter, instant on and less power consumption but looked pleasing to the eye! These light strips can be purchased from either the AS store or online from an assortment of places. if anyone wants online vendor sites PM and I'll send you them.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Santa Cruz , California
We are doing gradual LED replacements in the 310 AS diesel. I got some of the 1141 replacements and 1156 replacements from ODM and also the flat panels to go in some of the overhead lights in place of the bulbs wired to the low intensity switch. The foam tape supplied to stick the panels of boards was not good -- 3M foam tape is better than Chinese. Also be careful that you don't short out any traces from the panel to the metal back of the light fixture -- popped a fuse that way. Now there are two common white colors, the blue-white and "warm white" which is a little nicer. White LEDs are actually a kind of fluorescent -- the LED itself emits ultraviolet light and a phosphor (the yellow surface you see when the light is off) converts the UV to visible. There is a wide range of quality, color and efficiency in the LEDs available, some single LEDs are brighter than panels of 30 of them. But they are all more efficient than filament bulbs, you just need to experiment with the various suppliers out there and see what works for you.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Here is Seans video on LED lights...

AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #42
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
Here is Seans video on LED lights...

Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote