Old 09-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
For what it's worth, I didn't take the early replies as sarcastic or mean spirited. I sensed people were not aware of the issue, were concerned themselves, had nothing to contribute and posted something (intended to be) light so they get daily emails and can follow the discussion. The popcorn note meant they would be watching to see how this movie ends.

But maybe that just my interpretation.

GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Originally Posted by airstreaker View Post
Wow, I'm pretty shocked by the sarcastic and mean spirited tone of the replies. I guess the Airstream community is not what I thought. I'll definitely think twice before ever daring to post again

I've read them all and can't find a one that is "mean spirited." Mildly sarcastic, I'll give you, maybe a little hyperbole, true. But not, in my view anything "mean spirited." Like beauty, however, it is in the eye of the beholder.... or maybe the thickness of the skin.

PS Welcome to the Forum.

The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I have been trying for a while now to figure out what to say to Airstreaker, assuming he will even read it, without sounding like an ass or mean spirited and coming up blank.

I am sorry I hurt your feelings. This is a pretty good community and you can get lots of questions answered about your airstream. I'm not too sure there are many emi experts though. I'm certainly not one. I'm also not too worried about it. What I am worried about are my Good Year Marathons. Those can do some damage.

All the best.

Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Hope OP comes back and reads my response so he can sleep a little better with the family!
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:57 AM   #19
Stay CazuaL
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Originally Posted by airstreaker View Post
Wow, I'm pretty shocked by the sarcastic and mean spirited tone of the replies. I guess the Airstream community is not what I thought. I'll definitely think twice before ever daring to post again
Don't be. Just ignore the ones who are full of it. They are good people here.

Consider a ground issue. I have had mine with no issues. I had my LED's changed because after a year, some burnt out and some turned yellowish (soft white vs daylight) I believe they were roughly $40 per bulb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramses Bulb 1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	271066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramses Bulb 2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	271067  

"No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong."
"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
"Either I will find a way, or I will make one."
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:28 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Not sure if it is related or not but last year I installed two non-dimming LED fixtures over the sink/counter top area. Now the radio output has all kinds of noise when the lights are turned on. Is there any kind of filter that can help this issue?
This webpage illustrates some of the radio spectrum interference that can be caused by some poorly designed LED controllers. Your best bet would be to buy a different light if you can, and to look for FCC certification labeling on the packaging and the product.

To the original poster: The interference illustrated in that webpage is a proper example of EMI, but the typical power levels (-60 dBm) are in the nanowatt range and are similar to FM radio signals. A cellphone causes more than a million times more radiation in your immediate area. The horizontal banding you saw in your video is due to the LED being dimmed at a frequency too fast for your eye to see, but such that the scanning of the camera can capture it and create a 'beat' pattern. So it's an optical effect and not a radio frequency interference problem.
Alumineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
The response by HiJoeSilver hits the nail on the head, but fell short of saying this is not EMI, at least not in the classic sense.

The camera is seeing the periods of light on and light off. The camera frame rate is probably 60 frames per second, maybe 30. The pulse width modulation that produces the dimming effect is at a higher frequency to minimize visible effects to the eye so the camera, when scanning the pixels of the detector chip is seeing periods of bright scene when the LEDs are on interspersed with periods of dark scene when the LEDs are off. since light really is an electromagnetic wave, this could be called EMI, but the definition is usually reserved for the radiation interfering with another device's operation. In this case, the camera is simply recording what is actually happening that the human eye cannot see.

In some cases you can see the effect, depending on the pulse rate, by turning your head while looking at the source, like the LEDs, a calculator display or LED signage. The light pulses will appear at different points in space as you turn your head due to the eye's memory effect.

As several others have stated, the LED dimmers may actually be generating some EMI, but if not adequately filtered by the dimmer the most probable effect is noise in a radio, and the strength of this EMI would be well below any applicable safety standards.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
2016 23' Flying Cloud
City , Virginia

Sorry, I have been away for the past few days with other business and hadn't had a chance to read through everyone's posts. Thanks so much to those who responded with kindness, advice, tips, links, etc. Notably - alano, HiJoeSilver, 2012FB, mefly2, riffin-rich, crispyboy, cazual6, Alumineer, & Al and Missy. Thank you!

I am learning and it was my understanding that this was a good place to ask questions, even if they may be based on inaccurate assumptions at their foundation.

I don't believe that one should be required to measure the thickness of their skin before partipating in a forum discussing luxury camping trailers.

I'll leave the words of Elwood P Dowd, which I have always found to be dripping in wisdom

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."
airstreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
Vernon , Arizona

Truly appreciate your reply to people's sarcasm and lack of adding anything but negativity. I am going to remember your quote going forward!

As someone who has had cancer in the past and have removed so much "health concerning items" from my life, I was not aware of the LED issue and EMF. Thanks for bringing the information to the forefront.

MsTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #24
Berkeley , California
Would like to add my vote (to support) the discussion on the subject of LED and EMI/EMF. Just did a quick search on the internet and the level would be too low to pose any health risks, one article for example indicates that the electric cord of an electric razor generates far more potentially dangerous EMF, especially close to the body. Nevertheless, many serious articles point to the fact that indeed, more research is needed on the health effects of EMF, particularly for young children.

airator is offline   Reply With Quote