Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
lead acid battery drain test- much lower run time than expected

i remove my 100AH BB lion battery in the winter

i install the AS supplied 100Ah Lead acid battery in for the winter so that i can monitor and work on it when i'm free (;

a few days ago the As was tripping the GFI breaker. I let it drain with a 22W load to see how long it would last. well to my surprise, not very long.

With that small load, the battery went down to 40% capacity, at 9.6v and then the inside Victron system shut off as the voltage was too low.

I expected a few days at this light load not a 1/2 day. I suspect that the AS supplied battery was faulty or had been pre-drained too many times before installing in my AS

here are the charts

do others have similar results ?
i try in the spring with my AS lion battery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery drain.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	357525   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery drain-voltage.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	357526  

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery drain-22w load.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	357527  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
If one doesn’t keep those lead acid batteries charged they will deteriorate quickly. I had to replace my batteries after the first year. AS dealers don’t keep those batteries charged when a unit is on the lot. Now I keep a battery maintainer on mine all the time; even when it is warm. Check the fluids on a regular basis.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
So what are you doing to properly preserve the stock battery you take out for the camping season, to install your lithion ion battery and now expect to work to your expectations and that you now seem to be bashing as an AS supplied battery?
Just saying that I think you are missing some detailed explanation to easily complain about batteries that is well documented on a number of threads.
More details would help here I think - unless it is intended to be another beat and complain thread.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i keep the lead acid on trickle over the summer

i keep the lion on trickle during the winter

NOTE @bweybright: please keep posts polite.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
. . .
With that small load, the battery went down to 40% capacity, at 9.6v . . .
. . .
That old battery is probably shot IMO. Get a new battery, fully charged, when you are ready to start this experiment again, and keep it charged correctly and full of distilled water, in order to get meaningful results IMO.

FWIW this Battery School is a helpful resource IMO:

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/ba...hool.cfm?TID=9

Good luck,

Peter

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, backing up a bit:

GFI breaker is tripping - which one? Is it in the trailer or in the garage? Different issues depending.

100AH stock battery? Which one? Is it the group 27 AGM? (mostly just checking here). If it is the group 24 flooded cell it's an 80AH battery...... ( If it's a flooded cell and has been on trickle for months, it's likely dried out. Even AGM's *can* dry out from that sort of thing).

22W is going to be about 2A drain on the battery. In 24 hours you are up around 50AH. That is the "stop using" point for your 100AH battery. Put another way, the *max* you would get is one day, not "a few days".

Even AGM's can sulfate up when left on trickle. If yours *is* one of the Lifeline AGM's they recommend reconditioning in this case.

Lots of variables ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
tnx bob,
ill use my smart charger and use the recondition cycle in the spring when i swap out the battery.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Around , Town
Why not temporarily disconnect the lead acid battery and recondition it now seeing as there is already a question of its integrity?

If the original lead acid is dead, might consider a much smaller battery to save some $$$ presuming the winter loads are limited to just running the lights or similar lighter loads. Point is that the original battery is for both for powering items, and storage for boondocking.

Toward a trickle charger on the lithium battery during winter storage, last I checked this is not necessary.

Regarding the GFI breaker, I am also bit confused on how this ties to the 12v system.
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Around , Town
Thought of something after my previous post.

Out of curiosity (and at the risk of insulting), was the converter re-configured for lead-acid when the lithium was removed?

Reason for the question is that the charge profiles are *very* different and incompatible with each other. Using a lithium charge profile on the lead-acid might explain the now degraded lead-acid battery.
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Something not mentioned yet, when a battery is cold (below freezing) it loses a lot of storage capacity.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote