I meant to say propane detector stays on not the propane itself

Zstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:03 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Originally Posted by Zstreamer View Post
I meant to say propane detector stays on not the propane itself
I thought that was what you meant. Thanks for the tip on how you mount yours. I just got the 15W unit mentioned earlier, and was planning to do something similar, so its good to know it works. I should get some good sun here in South Florida.

SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
15 watts wasn't enough up here during the 8 weeks surrounding winter solstice. Too many gray days and too much sun angle. It was fine in the summer with relocating the propane detector downstream from the store switch. 15 watts will realistically give you about 750 - 900mA of charging in full sun for about 5 hours a day. I had about 150mA parasitic draw 24 hours a day.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Originally Posted by Zstreamer View Post
.... My AS came with a detachable Clarion head unit so I simply detach it and that eliminates the parasitic draw to the audio.
Zstreamer, what great tip, thanks. We just returned from our 3 week maiden voyage and was often re-reading the manual and do remember the reference to the (Sony) face plate. I just never made the connection...or rather disconnection.

CruizinDux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Another parasite power draw is the "instant on" feature of the televisions. We switched the television outlets for ones with a built in switch for the included outlet. Power off is power off completely. Turn it on when wanting to watch or when on shore power.

Using "LED on when on" power switches for the Voyager rear view camera, the always on sub-woofer and the audio system help with the parasite power loads. Another sneaky power draw when on inverter power is the microwave with it's clock.

We reused the original water heater power switch for the 12Vdc going to the Truma instant on water heater. We leave both the 12Vdc and the propane on when the temperatures are forecast for freezing temperatures and the Truma will keep itself from freezing. In warmer temperatures, both the propane and the 12Vdc are off.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:23 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Sarasota , Florida
I have used the Solar Battery minder that lewster recommended for several years. Keeps batteries topped off very well. Before I started using it the batteries would drain even when the disconnect switch was off. Am using Napa RV/Marine batteries. Was informed it is best to keep batteries fully charged to increase their life span. They would'nt last a year before I began using the battery minder. they are 3 years old and still function. When dry camping i use it to help keep a charge in the batteries. Have gone a week with no problem.
DavidSowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
I just got the "Save A Battery 1702 12-Volt Battery Charger Maintainer and Tester".

Saw this at the PHX auto show dose a great job, to many advantage to mention about this charger you need to look it up and decide for yourself, not cheap @ $120.00 but well worth the investment.

David & Nancy Ames
WBCCI # 9403 -- AIR # 95597
2015 FC 25' RB
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote