Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2015, 12:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Just one television electric socket? Really?

I just bought a Roku and tried to attach it to the flat panel in my new (2015) Airstream. There is what looks like a standard 2-outlet socket there on the wall, plus another for the inverter. But only one of the two sockets actually works. The other one is fake! Just molded plastic. What's going on?!
Can I have an electrician replace it with a standard socket, or is there some secret reason why I can't have two 115v plugs there?

lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
On some of these 'fake' sockets, you can kill the power, and open up the thin plastic blank to find a complete socket under there. Then you can use it.

Be doubly darn sure all power is off on the trailer including 12volt to the inverter, and switch the breakers off as well. Getting zapped is no fun. Don't ask me why I know this...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Or just get some of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K8A...let+multiplier
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:30 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

Or....maybe it's there for a reason.......like, umm... they really would rather you didn't plug two things into the really high quality inverter?

Bob
Old 10-08-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Or....maybe it's there for a reason.......like, umm... they really would rather you didn't plug two things into the really high quality inverter?

Bob
Except on mine there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which outlet was double and which was single. I had both on the inverter circuits and regular circuits. I had the single changed on warranty.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I had the same issue with the outlets...

Amazon.com: QVS PPRT-ADPT2 12-Inch 3-Prong Outlet Saver Splitter Power Adapter with 90-Degrees Flat Plug: Electronics

I used one of the above when I installed the AppleTV's behind our screens...

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Frostproof , Florida
plug

All you need do is go to walmart and buy a 4 or 6 gang plug and plug in outlet or yes the bottom plug is hot, just use a razor knife or a screwdriver to slightly open the plastic and push a plug through. I did this on my 2016 flying cloud. The blank on the inverter is hot too, on inverter.
Joe Zednick
jczednick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
QUOTE=SteveSueMac;1694458]Or just get some of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K8A...let+multiplier[ QUOTE]

That's what we did. Easy fix ... plus you can use it elsewhere when needed, even in regular plugs.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Speaking of AppleTV, how do you use yours? I was considering using ours to stream video via AirPlay from iPhone. AppleTV needs a wireless network for this, but I'm thinking not necessarily an internet connection. So possibly I could use an inexpensive wireless router and set up a wireless network to satisfy the AppleTV but not have a connection to the internet. How do others use a video streaming player like AppleTV, Roku, etc. without an internet connection?
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I have a router in the Airstream for my rearview camera. I've used it as a local network for AirDrop
Old 10-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
My understanding is that the newest version of the Apple TV can tether over Bluetooth, so no wifi required.

I'm going to laugh at myself when my trailer has newer generation tech than my house.
stsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareaglewalt View Post
Speaking of AppleTV, how do you use yours? I was considering using ours to stream video via AirPlay from iPhone. AppleTV needs a wireless network for this, but I'm thinking not necessarily an internet connection. So possibly I could use an inexpensive wireless router and set up a wireless network to satisfy the AppleTV but not have a connection to the internet. How do others use a video streaming player like AppleTV, Roku, etc. without an internet connection?
Check this thread out - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ml#post1687379

I posted all of the info needed to use the AppleTV with Airplay...and yes you no longer need a wifi network for Airplay to work. All you need is the latest model AppleTV3 (model A1469 - number on bottom) and an ipad/iphone. As long as both devices have the latest update Airplay works just fine without the need of network connection of any kind.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Sure is amazing how these threads get hijacked. Just getting interested in the answers to the OP's topic, and away we go.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
The answer to the OP

I have simply broken away the thin plastic which covers the connections behind the outlet cover. In the bedroom I run my external speakers for my television, in the living room, usually plug my computer in.

My guess about the "why" of this being filled in with plastic may be a liability issue as the height of socket, easy accessibility to anyone sitting in the dinette, especially children, may be of concern for the legal bean counters at Jackson Center.

For those who have not removed a socket from the wall, AS uses an "inline" configuration, the duplex sockets simply being pushed over the stripped insulation with out actually cutting the feed wire.

This is my guess today...
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
So sorry, George. I have been looking into this AppleTV solution and when Roku box was mentioned, I thought they might help me with my situation. Just call it a sub-thread. These threads don't tend to get very long anyway.
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I guess I helped move it In another direction too...[emoji53]

Old 10-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareaglewalt View Post
We use an old Netgear 3G Broadband Wireless Router MBR624GU That we bought many years ago when we used an AT&T Aircard for internet access. I stream from my iPhone and we use it to connect to our Epson wireless printer both in the trailer and at home. Very handy. No internet connection required.

If you are on a data plan, such as Verizon, and you connect to your
AppleTV or printer using your iPhone as a hot spot or your MIFI, the connection will use your data plan when transferring data to those devices. Using a WIFI router with no internet connection is a better deal for those with earlier AppleTV without bluetooth, or when printing or scanning. Scanning uses a load of data.

a
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Regarding streaming video to the TV, if you have a Roku product, you can use Plex to stream video files stored on your laptop to the TV. Plex is an app you can run on the Roku, and on your laptop to feed videos to it.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Thanks for everyone's suggestions on the covered electrical socket. I have asked the dealer to confirm with his factory rep that there is power in there before I cut into it. I took it apart partway and it does look like there are two identical power lines, one for each plug in the 2-plug socket. It's just annoying and inelegant to have to hack away at a plug.
If AS had a liability issue, they could have used the kind of sliding covers for sockets that are common in houses with young children.

That branching power cord with the 90° plug is also nice.
And I do realize I can put a plug multiplier on it, but I want to keep the appearance as simple and close to the wall as possible...