Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
Airstream owner 30 years

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bev Hills , California
Interstate 19 - Battery Disconnect

Bought new AI 19, nothing but issues. Major one is battery disconnect switch by entry stays on constantly and does not disconnect main battery manual switch in back. When turning main swith in back of lounge on, it reboots entire electrical system for five minutes. AI technical kept claiming this was supposed to be how it works, but manual clearly says different.

After two weeks in shop, still waiting.
Awning doesn't work at all. Soft switch on panel does nothing. Also two weeks in shop and nothing.
TV antenna not working....
Installed ATT wifi node...not working
Does anyone have any advice regarding above. Very very frustrating to have new AI that behaves like it's ten years old.

I wish AI repair treated us as though we had high end vehicles like Jaguars and Mercedes, only twice as expensive.

Finally, on trade in, AI did not pay off prior loan as promised, and I'm still waiting. Bank threatened to send me ot collections until I sent them all the paper work to show it was not my fault.
I just don't get it why AI can't offer quality service.

This is my second AI and everything repeats itself again and again.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithkleinmd View Post
Bought new AI 19, nothing but issues. Major one is battery disconnect switch by entry stays on constantly and does not disconnect main battery manual switch in back. When turning main swith in back of lounge on, it reboots entire electrical system for five minutes. AI technical kept claiming this was supposed to be how it works, but manual clearly says different.

After two weeks in shop, still waiting.
Awning doesn't work at all. Soft switch on panel does nothing. Also two weeks in shop and nothing.
TV antenna not working....
Installed ATT wifi node...not working
Does anyone have any advice regarding above. Very very frustrating to have new AI that behaves like it's ten years old.

I wish AI repair treated us as though we had high end vehicles like Jaguars and Mercedes, only twice as expensive.

Finally, on trade in, AI did not pay off prior loan as promised, and I'm still waiting. Bank threatened to send me ot collections until I sent them all the paper work to show it was not my fault.
I just don't get it why AI can't offer quality service.

This is my second AI and everything repeats itself again and again.
Hi Keithkleinmd,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having with your Interstate. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can escalate it to our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 11-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #3
Airstream owner 30 years

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bev Hills , California
Have contacted Airstream main office and they actually gave bad advice saying the red light always stays on. There is no question they are not yet familiar with the AI 19. It was in the shop for two weeks and I was told the wiring was wrong and a defective switch despite what Airstream main office said. So it can now be turned off but turning back on reboots the entire electrical system!! And takes a good five minutes to reboot and start up. I was told this was normal but being in the IT world, no other piece of electronics routinely reboots like this so I cannot believe they are correct . If this is the case, then Airstream needs to rethink the electrical system as it is a bad design.

Also rear camera not working properly but I dare not take it in for repair and going to buy a third party one instead.

The awning didn't work from the get go, and it was defective motor, wiring and breaker.

Imagine all this in a new airstream. It has been in the shop more days than I have had it.

They should have given it to me for free. In the IT world, we call this a beta test model!!!
If Airstream doesn't start to take us seriously, this will seriously impact their bottom line. Similar situations in other companies have resulted in bankruptcy. They need to rethink their corporate structure and quality management.

Not related to above, but symptomatic of corporate dysfunction they gave incorrect info to LoJack when it was "factory installed" so it never got registered, the road side service also got the VIN on another Airstream not mine, so that didn't get registered, the rebate on the extended warranty was delayed because they needed the bank closing statement from the trade in, and I got a blank reply when asked what would they do if I had paid all cash and finally when I took it to Mercedes for warranty service ,I had to pay because Airstream failed to send the VIN to Mercedes on completion of the sale.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Keith, Hopefully I can help you. I too have an interstate 19.
Regarding the redlight switch that does not go out near the entry door.
Obviously, the 12v system is up and running.
Go to the rear doors, open, to the left is the main battery switch. Rotate it all the way to the left. THERE WILL BE RESISTANCE. This shuts off all the 12v house power. Including the Czone.
Now, go to the switch by the door. The light should be out.
Hold the switch, and the power will go on.
So now, it should go out when you switch it off.
In short the rotary dial in the back has an electric motor that engages or disengages the switch. Turning in off manually, then turning it back on from the front switch SHOULD reset it. Let me know if this helps!!!
1919 is offline   Reply With Quote