Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
oh and another thing I cut the side wall and the back out of the old case, but I have also seen the case cut in half across the middle so the whole back half is removed. I think the link in the PM should show that.

I have seen this process in a thread here and I just cant seem to find it again.

I am sorry that I did not take Pictures of mine while I had it out , I get into a "kid it the candy store" mode and the camera losses out!
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Okay. So the big wire running across the top of this picture is the red wire from the battery on the front of the fuse panel. The black wire from the battery on the front on the fuse panel runs to the two protective devices on the floor of the back of the fuse panel. There are two wires coming from the protective devices to the heat sink fins. I am thinking I will strip those two and put them in the Intellipower as one connection. I will just strip the big wire and put it into the red connection on the Intellipower.

I was able to borrow a battery operated Ryobi metal saw and have cut a square out of the back wall, leaving the outer edges for structure to support the top. I will cut the side as necessary and hope to post pictures of the box for others to see soon. Getting closer. Need to put in the electrical box.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana

I removed everything behind the fuse panel. ( I dont know if it was right but it is working now)

Use the top Post and nut to secure the positive leg to new converter, Use the middle (large) post and nut for the negitive to the new converter,
the smaller post was not used.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Unprofessional metal work....and probably more than I should do.

Still need to figure out how to mount the Intellipower (the blue case is just a little to wide and cutting it would weaken the case frame). I may bend down the mounting edges of the Intellipower. I want to keep the case since it gets the Intellipower up off of the floor (1972 31'ft has the Univolt mounted under the tub), and the box supports airflow around the Intellipower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00067.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	660.8 KB
ID:	83240   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00068.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	700.2 KB
ID:	83241  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00069.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	614.9 KB
ID:	83242  
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 06-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Looks GOOD!! I bent the "legs" of the Intellipower down with the bench vise then used sheet metal screws to fasten it to the base of the univolt case. My Intellipower is a 2000 model year so the "plug" for the charge wizard is on the front of the unit near the fuse's. But I think you have got it now. Don't forget to ground the new Intellipower to the trailer. Mike
Old 07-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
So now I'm a bit nervous about the 'insulation' on the inside of the white cover (that separates the Univolt from the tub) being too close to the heat sink. Fire is not a good thing. Aside from my fire worry, the insulation restricts airflow, which will only increase the heat creation which will in turn increase fire risk. Vicious circle. Someone had a good reason for putting it there (see two screws in a board 11 posts prior to this one for living proof). My guess is wiring protection.
  • I have lights and they are brighter than I have ever seen them!
  • I have a water pump (the pump doesn't shut off after building pressure, but it does pump water which is the key thing since I can just shut it off on the Console).
  • I have my bathroom circuit fixed.
  • Everything but a Fridge - I didn't cancel the order for the new one so it will come while I'm off camping.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Oh ... and I did the same thing with the legs on my Intellipower, bent them down and used them inside the edges of the blue Univolt case and put in screws.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Congratulations on the univolt to Intellipower conversion. (I wish I could have been there It would have been better to explain things)

Now the water pump: I had to open the red square box on the side of the pump (flat screw in the center) and "exercise" the spring mechanism just a bit. Our trailer had sat for a LONG time without the systems being used. Yours may just be stuck too. OR You just don't have all the air out of the lines yet. (the new power from the converter will speed this process up, Mine did)

Post the problem with the pump in the plumbing section and see if someone else can help.
Good luck and Happy Camping, Mike