Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Oro Valley , Arizona
Interior ceiling LED light color

I just purchased a 2016 Sport 22fb. I am exploring the possibility of changing the stock Bright White LED interior lights to Soft White bulbs which would have a more traditional warm incandescent look of older Airstreams. Has anyone done this conversion or know the manufacturer of the original fixtures? Thanks
zonastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonastream View Post
I just purchased a 2016 Sport 22fb. I am exploring the possibility of changing the stock Bright White LED interior lights to Soft White bulbs which would have a more traditional warm incandescent look of older Airstreams. Has anyone done this conversion or know the manufacturer of the original fixtures? Thanks
I'd imagine that the bulbs themselves are individually replaceable. Just look for a color temperature like 3500K to get your warm white look.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:53 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
What DrBoyd said! The key is the kelvin rating of 3500 or so. If you search the forum for LED you will find a number of threads that can help you.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
https://drinkmoredecaf.com/2015/10/1...ck-easy-cheap/
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
How are the ceiling light lenses removed? I have never tried to do that. Adding the color gels sounds like a good idea.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
How are the ceiling light lenses removed? I have never tried to do that. Adding the color gels sounds like a good idea.

On my 2016 FC you just use a small screwdriver to pry the inner most ring off, piece of cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
https://www.amazon.com/Set-Shop-Bast...tard+amber+gel

Here is what Protagonist, suggested. I used it and looks great on all indoor LEDs
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
CAV
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Dubuque , Iowa
I just replaced all my halogen in my 2004 International. I used website recommended in Rich Luhr's book " almost everything you wanted to know about airstream maintenance." The site is LED4RV. I found the 9 diode warm white to be good for ceiling; but used 12 diode bright white for task lighting in kitchen and reading spots. I emailed questions to the site and the owner called me back to answer my questions. Their prices were also better than any others I found.
CAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
Everton , Arkansas
I replaced all my bulbs with LED bulbs in the 3000 color range. 39 bulbs in total. I figure I can now turn every light on and use about the same wattage as 2 regular incondence bulbs
DEDUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:08 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Oro Valley , Arizona
The quest for Soft White

Thanks for all the responses. I realize now I should have been more specific in my original post. I think my stock leds have a color temperature of about 3000/3100 degrees kelvin or Bright/Warm white. I want to change the lights to 2700/2800k or Soft white which is the range of our old incandescent bulbs.
As suggested, I am going to try the colored gels sheets used in cinema stage lighting. You cut out small pieces to fit inside your lens covers. It's said, they work very well and is very most cost effective.
The other approach is to remove a light fixture (which I should have done in the first place) and attempt to determine the manufacture to see if they offer the fixture or led card in other colors.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I pulled this from an earlier thread on the subject.

After investigating our options, we also decided to go with the gel filters behind each lens and we are much happier with the look, no more Walmart bright. There were 15 LEDs in our Airstream, not counting the reading lights. The lens was very easy to remove, but a bit tricky to re-install. You just have to make sure that the lens tabs line up with the slots in the fixture.

We used 1/2 CTO which basically converts daylight to tungsten or 5200 kelvin to 3200 kelvin. I tried Full CTO, but it made the light too orange for our liking.

We have had the gel in our lights for almost a year and there was no heating or melting through of the gel.

Here is a link to the photo gel if anyone is interested.
Rosco #3408 Filter - RoscoSun 1/2 CTO - 20x24" RS340811 B&H

BHPHOTOVIDEO.COM

I've attached a picture showing both daylight and warm white in the same picture as well as the gel I used and the ring that pops off of each fixture. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas

Here is a link to the photo gel if anyone is interested.

Rosco #3408 Filter - RoscoSun 1/2 CTO - 20x24" RS340811 B&H

BHPHOTOVIDEO.COM

I've attached a picture showing both daylight and warm white in the same picture as well as the gel I used and the ring that pops off of each fixture. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

We are also using these filters, and they do work as described.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Sandpoint , Idaho
We also have a 2016 22FB. The lighting color was ghastly! I replaced most with:

Lumitronics Double LED RV Dome Light with On/Off Switch and Removable Lenses. Perfect Interior Replacement 12V Lighting for RVs, Motorhomes, Campers,Sold by: Northbay Products from Amazon. There is also a single version.

I also installed LED strips above the booth, above the galley cabinet and above the front cabinet. The strips above the booth window I tied to the switch by the door, so they are the main lighting.

For reading light above the booth I used:

Gold Stars GW21500 Chrome RV Reading Light MR16 Base LED Bulb (12v Satin) also from amazon.

All these were very inexpensive, total about $100. They totally changed the feel of the interior! I can't imagine why the factory didn't do better; it's such a "glaring" problem.
Yachthalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Oro Valley , Arizona
To YACHTHALO

YACHTHALO, Thanks for your response. I also have a 2016 Sport 22 that suffers from the dreaded Walmart lighting complex. I think your solution is just what I need. I do have a few questions though. I tried to send you a private message but I was rejected as I'm a Nubie and not a trusted member as yet. Can you think of some way we could correspond privately? I still use phones, text or email.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #15
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
Easier said than done, nothing for the screwdriver to hold on to
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
On my older Airstream (2007 International) the puck lights and recessed lights have a very slightly raised narrow trim ring around the glass lens that is above the rest of the light assembly. I used the edge of a dull stainless steel knife blade to gently pry off the ring. I replaced Halogen lamps with soft white LEDs in most of my fixtures.

The end of a screwdriver blade, even a very small one, was entirely too blunt to get between the ring and housing. The hard part was seeing the seam between the ring and housing. Very tiny gap, hence the use of a thin dull knife blade to get in there.

Noted that the ring has some 1/4" wide notches in the back of it and corresponding round 'bumps' in the housing. Line up the notches with the bumps and it snaps in real easily.

I suspect the newer fixtures have permanently installed LEDs, so the use of gel filter material is probably the best cure for them.

IMHO, the "bright white" version of the LEDs are just too harsh on the eyes, unless you plan to perform minor surgery on the dinette table...If I need "bright white" to see something very small and in detail, I'll fire up one of my "bright white" Cree LED headlamps or tactical LED flashlights to see what I'm doing. 900 or so lumens output in a small focused spot is darn near a weapon all by itself--blinding bright!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:53 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Ridgefield , Washington
Hey, how did you remove the glass lens from the unit? I can’t see how to wedge it out. Thanks for the help.
Pendleton000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:58 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
I used a swiss army knife blade to wiggle in and pop inner lens ring out. I also went with a 1/4 cto filter instead of the 1/2 cto
WBCCI#8934
prostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Interior ceiling LED light color

Ditto. Dull blade on a Swiss Army knife. The tip of the fingernail file also worked.

The actual glass lens has a metal surround. Pry carefully under that inner ring, about 1/4 inch metal rim around the lens.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #20

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Los Osos , Randall Carney
Some commenters are suggesting screwdrivers, knives and such to remove light lenses. I suggest buying a auto trim tool pry set, they are plastic and tend to cause no damage. they are cheap just order a set when you order the bulbs.
Rac18 is offline   Reply With Quote