Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Intelipower wiring help

I am installing an Intelipower 9100 (PD9160A) in a 1964 Safari.
I read the threads but I’m still confused about original wiring system.

Am I correct that intelipower unit will eliminate the use of the original switches for changing from city to battery power for the 12vDC lights and fan systems?

It appears for install I only need the Intelipower converter, 110vAC in line, the 4 existing circuit breakers (or new fuse block) and perhaps a 12vDC buss distribution bar.

The simplified 1964 owners manual wiring diagram shows the Univolt transformer supplying 19vAC and 12vAC to one side of the city/battery switches and the battery supplying 12vDC to the other side.

This would seem to imply that while on city power the 12vDC system actually worked on low voltage AC? Correct?

Does the Intelipower system operate the loads on 12vDC system from the battery when not hooked to city power, and 12vDC straight from the Intelipower converter when hooked to city power, without having to flip switches?

Has anyone made a wiring diagram showing this installation in a ’64 AS?

Thanks, Safari64
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I installed the same unit in my '66 TW. I can't answer your technical questions but all I did was combined the 2 positives and plugged it in. I did ask for help to where the positives connected in this Forum back in April or May. Go to Search and you should be able to locate the answers that I received from the members.
Neil.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

The original "transformer" in your trailer had output voltages of 12V and 19V, both AC. The 12V line was for the lights and the 19V line was for the fans. How they figured out that 19V AC would operate a 12 DC motor is more than I know, but it worked. All lights and fans will operate fine on 12V DC from the battery. Turn the switches to "BATTERY", connect the Intellipower unit to the positive and negative terminals of the battery along with the positive and negative lines to the fuse block. Plug the Intellipower unit into 120V AC. Anytime you are connected to 120V AC, the charger will keep the battery at the proper level of charge AND power the 12V systems in the trailer. As soon as you disconnect from 120V AC, the battery takes over. If you have the "WIZARD" feature with the Intellipower unit, the flashing green light will tell you if the system is being charged, fully charged and in use, or in "storage" mode. Be sure to ground the base of the Intellipower unit to the body of the trailer as the instructions state. These are great units. All you have to do is check the water level in the battery occasionally (unless you have a gel-cell battery) and keep the unit plugged in to 120V AC and you should have all the power you need. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Safari64,
I will help you wire it even if you didn't get it from us.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Thanks for all the help. It all sounds easy enough…yeah right.

Randy: I would have purchased from you but didn’t know you were there and the place I bought from gave me free shipping to Alaska.

This basic 1964 wiring drawing is all I have to work with. Looks straight forward.

1) Remove the two 12vAC wires from the transformer to the light switch terminals.
2) Remove the two 19vAC wires from the transformer to the fans and pump switch terminals.
3) Install Intelipower in place of transformer.
4) Run new wire from Intelipower + to battery + (maintaining connection to 3rd circuit breaker from top and to DC+ terminals of light and fan switches).
5) Run new wire from Intelipower - to battery - (maintaining connections to DC- terminals of light and fan switches and to separate chassis ground).
6) Ground Intelipower grounding lug to chassis ground
7) Plug Charge Wizard into Intelipower TCMS interface receptacle.
8) Connect Intelipower to existing 110AC in.
9) Flip light and fan switches to battery position and leave them there.
10) End the boiling of my $150 battery

* What gauge wires should be used from Intelipower +/- to the battery?

Can I install the Intelipower vertically on the rear wall, with fan down, heat sink up?
This would eliminate any potential for water damage if mounted on floor (leaks happen). Instructions say “Horizontal mounting of the Inteli-power 9100 is recommended”.

Thanks alot,
Safari64
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream wiring.jpg
Views:	1236
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	25675  
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Hey, Neil, how's the TW?

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
I installed the same unit in my '66 TW. I can't answer your technical questions but all I did was combined the 2 positives and plugged it in. I did ask for help to where the positives connected in this Forum back in April or May. Go to Search and you should be able to locate the answers that I received from the members.
Neil.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote