Old 11-20-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
Port Perry , Ontario
Inteli-Power install in 78 Excella Lessons Learned

Guys so maybe someone in the future will benefit, heres my lessons learned from replacing the Univolt with a new Inteli-power. This assumes your 78 Excella is a front Couch model. PS Heres the disclaimer - I make no guarantees re this procedure + please take necessary safety precautions when doing electrical work. (For example dont do this work in your bare feet with the power on)

Parts Ordered / RequiredRemoval of the UNIVOLT
  1. Disconnect your batteries (If connected)
  2. Slip the Couch Cushion off from the gaucho frame
  3. The Univolt is under the front gaucho unit, directly below the fuse panel. You will see a rectangular wood panel cover with 4 screws. Using a phillips screwdriver, remove the 4 screws.
  4. This will expose the Univolt housing. The univolt sits inside a vented, heavy duty white plastic square bucket. Remove the top cover, you will see the Univolt.
  5. The univolt is connected using a 3 prong cord plugged into a standard recepticle box. Reach in and UNPLUG the Univolt from the recepticle.
  6. Remove the screw(s) that secure the univolt to the bottom of the plastic bucket. In mine there was only 2 screws. (Its a bit tight but not too difficult)
  7. Moving the Univolt around, you will see 3 wires (2 BIG back ones, and one skinny white one) that go into the Univolt. Using a heavy wire cutter, Cut the wires. (CAUTION : Make sure the Univolt is Unplugged !!) NOTE !! : Cut the wires as CLOSE as POSSIBLE to Univolt. You will be re-connecting these wires to your Intel-Power and preserving the wire length is Important.
  8. Now comes the tricky part. Once its free, you will need to yank the 30 pound Univolt from the Bucket box. For some crazy reason, the Univolt doesnt like coming out of that bucket box - its a tight fit and one wonders how they got it in there in the first place. You will need to CUT SLITS THE FRONT OF THE BUCKET BOX so you can BEND the front of the box to make room for the Univolt to come out out. (I know this is hard to visualize, but when you are there you will see what Im talkin about)
  9. Now GRAB the Univolt by its Power Plug and Yank the sucker out. Believe me, you will have trouble getting your hands in there, so the best way I found was to yank it by its wire !
Installing Intel-Power
  1. The Inteli-Power hooks up to the 2 BIG BLACK wires you just disconnected (cut) from Univolt. One of the wires is NEGATIVE, one is POSITIVE. They are NOT MARKED ! If you have a digital meter, you can meter them to identify which is which. The third white wire, just tape the end and forget about it (you wont be using it anymore).
  2. Connect your ground lug to the Recepticle box and hood up the 8 Guage ground wire to it. (My recepticle box was metal and grounded so I just attached the grounding lugs to the Metal box using small bolts)
  3. Connect the 2 BLACK BIG WIRES to your Inteli-power (one to the positive, the other to negative.
  4. Connect the gound wire to the Inteli-power ground. Please make sure you follow the instructions on grounding that comes with your Intel-Power.
  5. You can now plug in the Inteli-Power to test to make sure it works. Note you DONT NEED BATTERIES HOOKED UP.
  6. If you dont get any power, you may have the BIG BLACK WIRES reversed. The Inteli-Power has sensing to detect if the polarity is reversed. In my case it didnt work at first because I got the positive and negative wires reversed. The great thing is that Inteli-Power detects wrong polarity and wont run if it detects this.
  7. Make sure you also plug in the little "medallion" indicator unit that comes with your Inteli-power and stick it on the wall behind the fuse panel tambour.
  8. Now that the Intel-Power is verified working, secure it to the floor of the bucket (or wall of the bucket if you dont have leeway with the wires)
  9. Re-install the Access covers.
  10. Enjoy your Inteli-Power
Results / Advantages
Im very pleased with the Inteli-Power, it provides WAY stronger power, I find all the lighting in the trailer is great. We also found we dont need the batteries anymore, in our case we always use Shorepower - so you can just run on the Inteli-Power without batteries installed. And of course ... No more Univolt Humming and no more radio humming !!!.

Thanks !

Old 11-20-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Great documentation on the swap out. One comment, you talk about no batteries in the trailer. If the trailer should become seperated from your TV, the battery is needed to activate the breaks from the break away switch.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
Port Perry , Ontario
Richard thanks for mentioning that. You can operate the Inteli-volt without batteries if you have your AS "Parked" long term as we do. BUT If you are travelling you will need the batteries installed for the safety brake-away, (or for sites where there is no shore power.)

Thanks !! Rob
Old 11-21-2006, 11:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
white wire you wont be using anymore

Elsewhere in the forums are simple methods for preserving the "AC on" telltale for those of us who do have batteries in the AS

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
The part I don't get is the grounding part. Doesn't the Intellipower come with a three prong plug to plug it in that includes a ground?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
Port Perry , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacnstac
The part I don't get is the grounding part. Doesn't the Intellipower come with a three prong plug to plug it in that includes a ground?
Yes, the Inteli-power has a 3 prong male plug. There is also a separate chassis ground lug to be grounded to chassis - (thats the one I described.)

I cant explain why its there and your question is now making me wonder why its there because the ground prong of the power plug should also connect at some point to the chassis right ??
Old 11-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
THANKS! Just what I need, as I have this conversion coming up, too.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #8
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTE797
I cant explain why its there and your question is now making me wonder why its there because the ground prong of the power plug should also connect at some point to the chassis right ??
The primary reason may be that the NEC requires it, and that it must be #8 AWG.

Maybe the discussion notes from the NEC approval process would tell why.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Does anyone have a picture of how a ground lug is attached to the receptacle box? Does one use a self tapping screw or are there holes already in the box that can be used. I'm trying to get everything I need together before I go up north and attempt to do this. Aren't the Univolts grounded in a similar fashion?