Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
Hampstead , North Carolina
Installing new LED marker lights on 1975 Argosy

I got new LED marker lights from VTS and connected them all with no problem but can not figure out where the ground goes. The cap that the front lights attach to is fiberglass so they won't be attaching to any metal. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks!
VintageFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
Me too. I found out that the end caps are fiberglass in our Argosy. Ours is a 1975 too. I got the new LEDs to work in the front because the PO had a ground hooked to a screw that holds the front window down. Can't ground to fiberglass. Now I can't get the back ones to work. The old ones worked so I am not sure what is going on.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just curious, didn't the old lighting fixtures have two wires running to them (positive & negative)? You should be able to reuse those wires.

If you are using LEDs, you may have them wired backwards (LEDs won't light, if you have the wires reversed). You might try reversing the wires...

Also, some older SOBs (Some Other Brand) trailers use the trailer ball as the ground return for running lights. Not sure if this applies to your Airstream. However, it wouldn't hurt to make sure that you have your hitch is hooked up, especially if your other running lights don't work either.

Alternately, you can temporarily hardwire a jumper wire from the frame of your tow vehicle to the tongue of your Airstream. For testing purposes, a battery jumper cable would work, or a short wire with alligator clips.

One last thing to check: Verify that the LED running lights that you are installing still work by applying 12 volts directly to the leads. In troubleshooting (and perhaps wiring them backwards), they may have been damaged and won't work anymore.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
The new LEDs have one wire with the ground built into the screw. The front ones all work so it makes me think the ground or something for the back ones is the issue. I really don't want to remove the rear panel if I don't have to.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1458423082.124729.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  76.0 KB
Ok mystery solved! There was one screw missing in the right rear light. Put that in, connected the wires and all the lights worked! Oh yeah, and that was after I reversed the middle three too. Their grounds were on the opposite side so the fixtures are upside down. I don't care, they work! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums