Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Installing a new intellipower converter 45 amps

model number 9245C into my 1965 Caravel, I attached a picture showing where the old univolt was, I ran the power to a GFCI. 20 amp receptacle. U.P.S. will be delivery my converter tomorrow, my question is how does the converter hook-up to the other 2 wires shown in the picture..........thanks for your time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7692.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	26251  
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Tostie,
They're pretty simple to install but from that picture it appears those are AC wires, no? You can plug the power cord of the converter into the GFCI but you will need to route your DC wires to the converter to power your distribution panel and charge the battery.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
Tostie,
They're pretty simple to install but from that picture it appears those are AC wires, no? You can plug the power cord of the converter into the GFCI but you will need to route your DC wires to the converter to power your distribution panel and charge the battery.
Those are the wires that came out of the univolt.....
Old 09-24-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
Those are the wires that came out of the univolt.....
Do you have a volt meter? If so, plug in the battery after making sure none of those wires are touching anything, and check for 12 volts DC. If one pair of wires has 12 volts, make a note of which wire is positive so you can hook it back up correctly.
If you don't have 12V to any of those wires, again making sure they aren't touching anything, plug into shore power and check them for 120Volts AC. If they both have 120 volts, don't hook either set up to the output side of the converter, it will do its own little version of three mile island in nothing flat.
Please let us know your findings so we can continue to help.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Do you have a volt meter? If so, plug in the battery after making sure none of those wires are touching anything, and check for 12 volts DC. If one pair of wires has 12 volts, make a note of which wire is positive so you can hook it back up correctly.
If you don't have 12V to any of those wires, again making sure they aren't touching anything, plug into shore power and check them for 120Volts AC. If they both have 120 volts, don't hook either set up to the output side of the converter, it will do its own little version of three mile island in nothing flat.
Please let us know your findings so we can continue to help.
I ran the 120volts AC to the GFCI, those expose wires that you see have to be 12 volts......
Old 09-24-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
those expose wires that you see have to be 12 volts......
yes that is correct!

what terry is trying to tell you is to make sure the polarity is correct!

john
Old 09-24-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
yes that is correct!

john
Thanks John HD, first, thanks very much for your help on my brake, turn signal problem, every thing is working perfect, on the intelipower my guess
is that the white wires are neg, black positive......
Old 09-24-2006, 07:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
There you have it, if those are the 12 volt, your all set. One pair goes to the distro panel and the other to the battery, most likely. My guess is black is pos and white is neg but you better check it.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
that would be a reasonable assumption.

however, you will want to check it with a meter to be certain. with your newly aquired volt ohm meter check that the white wires show zero ohms to the skin.

-or- connect the battery and check for 12 volts on the black wire. only one will be hot the other runs to the trailer as randy suggested.

when you get your converter tommorrow mount it in a convienent location then run wire of the same size to the ones you pictured and connect with good grade wire nuts.

black to positive and white to negative if your tests confirm this.....

john
Old 09-24-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

however, you will want to check it with a meter to be certain. with your newly aquired volt ohm meter check that the white wires show zero ohms to the skin.

-or- connect the battery and check for 12 volts on the black wire.

when you get your converter tommorrow mount it in a convienent location then run wire of simalar size to the ones you pictured and connect with good grade wire nuts.

john
We're all trying to keep you from letting the factory-installed smoke out of your new Intellipower. If you let the smoke out, you have to return it to the factory to be refilled.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
We're all trying to keep you from letting the factory-installed smoke out of your new Intellipower. If you let the smoke out, you have to return it to the factory to be refilled.
If you see a big mushroom cloud over Michigan that is me trying to hook-up
my intillpower............thanks
Old 09-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
If you have any trouble with with the install, give me a holler. I know you didn't get it from us but I'll help you. I have the code to keep the factory smoke in...That made me laugh Terry!
Old 09-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:

-or- connect the battery and check for 12 volts on the black wire. only one will be hot the other runs to the trailer as randy suggested.

when you get your converter tommorrow mount it in a convienent location then run wire of the same size to the ones you pictured and connect with good grade wire nuts.

john
John

Installed the intelipower, everything seems to working ok, the intelipower is reading 13.5 volts and the battery is saying 11.95 volts.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7711.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	26432  
Old 09-30-2006, 03:09 PM   #14
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
looking good toastie!

nice touch with the green chassis ground!

john
Old 10-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Auburn , California
I got my new 9245 intelipower today. Did a quick check on this websight and found this thread. Took me less than 15 minutes to wire it in after seeing the picture above. All is working well! Thanks
CaravelBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:03 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Hemet , California
I am considering replacing the Univolt 50amp (boiled some batteries in the past so unhooked it and haven't used it since.....just let the solar panels charge the batts) converter/charger since it doesn't have the ability to do staged charging like the Intelli units. My trailer is parked alongside the north side of the house and gets lots of shade during the winter so it must be plugged into the house during the winter months.
I noted that several of you are using the 45 amp model and someone somewhere else used the 60amp. Which one should I use?
Mine is a 1992 25ft Excella. I was leaning toward going to the 60 amp "just in case".
Thanks.
"The key to flexibility is indecision"
GoldFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Go larger in capacity, rather than the same or smaller. Electrical needs tend to grow over time. Also, a maxed out unit will more likely fail sooner than an over-rated unit running at partial capacity. My 2 cents worth.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
univolt to IP 9160

I have acquired a intellipwer 9160 w/plug in charge wizard ( with no insructions) to replace the original univolt in my 65 caravel. the wires from the univolt are all the same color, but your pics seem to indicate that the wires going TO the UV can be figured out. mine look just like the ones in the previous posts. I have 6 wires connected to the UV (they go into the holes in the wall and 2 heavy stranded wires connected to the wiring mess directly from the battery w/a 40 amp fuse on each one. I assume these go to the 12v system? thanks for any help! joe in MN
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
IP converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd View Post
yes that is correct!

john
my 65 caravel is has identical cables coming out of the wall to the univolt. if one of those is 120V and 2 are 12VDC, why do I have 2 more wires connected to battery and that mystery box of tangled wire downstream from the univolt. what happened to those 2 12VDC cables? I am thinking that the 120V cable goes back to the 120V breaker box. thanks. joe in MN
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote