Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2016, 05:53 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
Charging Trojan 6V batteries....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
Yes, I recently installed a PD4655 and am considering 6V batteries. Are these compatible?
The absorption charge rate on these batteries is is between 14.1 and 14.7 volts. Your PD4655 is rated at 14.4 volts during the "boost" phase up to 90% of the battery capability and then to 13.6 volts for the remainder. I think you'd be fine but I'd call the Trojan Battery tech guys and ask. Here's the number for Trojan Battery Tech Support 800-423-6569 ext. 3045. The ideal float rate on these batteries is 13.2 volts and the PD4655 is rated the same for float.

I wish that I could help you more but I've only used my shore power a couple of times in the last 11 years as I have a solar set up with a controller that charges up to 14.8 volts depending on the temperature of the batteries. I've used Trojan Batteries in my previous camper and electric boat trolling. I'm of the opinion that they make an excellent product.
Ziggy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:00 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
DUDE how about a space or twelve between sentences.. this is hard to read. just do and edit and add parag spaces..

I does sound interesting for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrroberts40 View Post
Hello All,
I use a Honda 2000 to charge up my batteries when needed. I have considered a Zamp? 160 or 200 watt portable solar setup but have not yet pulled the trigger on it. One problem with built in solar I can see is many times our favorite camping spots have limited sun exposure so I think the portable would be the only way to go for us, at least for now. Of course the portable issue would increase theft possibilities so it would need to be taken down anytime we head out to see the sites. They do look to be easy up/down so should not be a big problem. The Honda is very quiet and have not yet had anyone complain but I use it in the proper time window anyway. The biggest gain with the twin 6 volters is the considerable extension is battery time vs the two grp 24 12 volt batteries. My 12v batteries sat in the trailer and were not charged properly it seems as they went bad just outside the lame 12 month original warr (12 months after purchase which made them 22 month old) and the Airstream store wasn't interested in taking responsibility for their lack of charging and it looks like they were charged up just before we bought it in July 2013...I did not know enough about batteries early on so wasn't insisting that they be replaced when we bought the trailer new at that time...I did add a spacer on top of the battery box and then remounted the lid/door on top of that plus I bought matching paint from Airstream and most would not notice it is even changed. I cut the plastic pan ends off and so my batteries will fit in there and then made a couple rubber pads up against the metal box to keep the batteries from touching/rubbing on the box. Have to reconfigure the wiring and bought proper copper ends and a crimping tool off Ebay and it looks great. You will also need a longer stud to secure the batteries and also need to make a heavy guage short connecting lead to go between the + and - posts. I bought Interstate 6 volters as we are a auto dealer and can buy them cheaper and their batteries do not have the auto type posts at least the ones they had in stock do not so that is why I reconfigured the connections. I also cut 1/4 inch off the trailer side of the metal steel frame lip (that the lid sets down on bottom edge) as it was a tight fit where the wires have to now go up another 1.5 inches and I was concerned the would eventually wear thru the insulation and short at that spot...just took out a 4 inch long x 1/4 wide spot to run the wire up and problem solved.
Russ
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
$$$Lithium Batteries$$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy2 View Post
The absorption charge rate on these batteries is is between 14.1 and 14.7 volts. Your PD4655 is rated at 14.4 volts during the "boost" phase up to 90% of the battery capability and then to 13.6 volts for the remainder. I think you'd be fine but I'd call the Trojan Battery tech guys and ask. Here's the number for Trojan Battery Tech Support 800-423-6569 ext. 3045. The ideal float rate on these batteries is 13.2 volts and the PD4655 is rated the same for float.

I wish that I could help you more but I've only used my shore power a couple of times in the last 11 years as I have a solar set up with a controller that charges up to 14.8 volts depending on the temperature of the batteries. I've used Trojan Batteries in my previous camper and electric boat trolling. I'm of the opinion that they make an excellent product.
I'm speaking of Trojan flooded batteries. Lithium Ion batteries are expensive and probably not compatible with your charge. Do your research on the batteries and your budget.
Ziggy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:50 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Sorry if this is a basic question - but what is the advantage of having two 6v batteries vs two 12v? It seems the math favors the two 12v - although I do know that the 6vs drain slower. Also, would the 6v have to be wired in series in order to be used with a portable solar suitcase?
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
UH UH UH me me,, holding hand up, waving..

Ever look in a elec golf cart under the seat? most use 8 volt batteries, 6 of them to provide 48 volts for the elec motor to power the cart.

now think about a usual golf course, that is if you play golf, most are not flat and the car it self weighs 3-400 lbs plus two person average weight of 200 each plus to golf bags average weight of 20-35 lbs. So you have 400 + 400 (+-) + 60 = 860 lbs.. 4- 12 volt batteries would only last maybe ONE round where as the 6 and 8 volt batteries having larger cells, more lead etc, will last several rounds before failing.

check the weight of one 6 volt battery and one 12 volt battery to find you answer.. more weight = more available power.

a typical group 27 battery 12v is 55 lbs,, a trojan t-105 6 volt is 62 lbs. x 2= 124 lbs of batteries, wired in series, to provide 12 v.

in batteries bigger is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoods1 View Post
Sorry if this is a basic question - but what is the advantage of having two 6v batteries vs two 12v? It seems the math favors the two 12v - although I do know that the 6vs drain slower. Also, would the 6v have to be wired in series in order to be used with a portable solar suitcase?
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
I'm very interested in replacing my 12v group 24 batteries with a pair of Trojan T105 RE's. What would be the easiest way to fit them?

I've read that some AS's have come from the factory with the "T105 modification", so I suppose they have a replacement battery box... and if they do, that would probably be easy, but expensive.

I like your solution with the aluminum C - shaped rails, but don't know where to source them, much less where or how I could cut them to size.

If the fit is close, would it be possible to remove the battery box cover, install some heavy rubber gaskets, (like car door seals), and then re-install the box cover with longer screws or bolts?

Glenn
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Battery Box Extender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn T View Post
I'm very interested in replacing my 12v group 24 batteries with a pair of Trojan T105 RE's. What would be the easiest way to fit them?

I've read that some AS's have come from the factory with the "T105 modification", so I suppose they have a replacement battery box... and if they do, that would probably be easy, but expensive.

I like your solution with the aluminum C - shaped rails, but don't know where to source them, much less where or how I could cut them to size.

If the fit is close, would it be possible to remove the battery box cover, install some heavy rubber gaskets, (like car door seals), and then re-install the box cover with longer screws or bolts?

Glenn
See "Battery box extender to accommodate the larger 6 volt batteries."
https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNorthbayAirstreamRepair/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1104542062955224

http://www.vinniesairstream.com/part...ndealerid3366/

It looks like a phone call is needed in order to purchase this extender, which I would like for my two Trojan 12-volt batteries that are just barely able to fit in the Airstream battery box even after removing the bottom plastic tray.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNorthbayAirstreamRepair/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1104542062955224

It looks like a phone call is needed in order to purchase this extender, which I would like for my two Trojan 12-volt batteries that are just barely able to fit in the Airstream battery box even after removing the bottom plastic tray.
Hay Marty, thanks for the links? This is a great way to go for those with limited fab tools. I wonder if it is 2" channel?

I've been thinking about the 12v>6v change but since the Int 24's (OEM) are still fine, I have been focusing on the tires for the toad. (Either the Mich Defender 16's or maybe the Nokian 15's).

But then again if the price to buy parts is reasonable, maybe do the box mod now and the batt's later? My concern is the swing arc of the lid now 2" higher. Maybe a double hinge would be needed. Please post on the 20's thread if you jump in.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Hay Marty, thanks for the links? This is a great way to go for those with limited fab tools. I wonder if it is 2" channel?

I've been thinking about the 12v>6v change but since the Int 24's (OEM) are still fine, I have been focusing on the tires for the toad. (Either the Mich Defender 16's or maybe the Nokian 15's).

But then again if the price to buy parts is reasonable, maybe do the box mod now and the batt's later? My concern is the swing arc of the lid now 2" higher. Maybe a double hinge would be needed. Please post on the 20's thread if you jump in.

Bob
Delete
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post

Only works if you have no front cargo box, unfortunately, could not work for me, but I ended up creating my own fabricated box, lowered 2 1/2 inches
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
I did the lid raising modification the be able to change over to (2) Lifeline GPL-4CT 6V batteries.

Purchased 1" square aluminum stock from Home Depot. Cut the pieces using a inexpensive plastic miter box and a hack saw. Cuts were not as accurate as if I would have rented a chop saw. Had to cut a slot for the lid latch using a Dremel tool.

Used (4) steel flat corner braces, which fit snugly inside the square stock, to reinforce the corner joints. These were attached with pop rivets on the underside of the riser assembly, resulting in a rigid assembly.

Attached the riser assembly to the trailer battery box with pop rivets from below. Attached the original lid to the riser assembly with pop rivets.

All pop rivets were 3/16”, medium length.

Hardest part was drilling the holes to line up the aluminum stock with the corner brace holes, as the corner brace fit inside the aluminum stock..

1” is enough rise to accommodate the batteries but not enough if you wish to fit an MRBF Terminal Fuse Block to protect the positive battery cable.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Pictures attached
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1479754051.156269.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	275766

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1479754073.167507.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	275767

Had to purchase longer threaded rod for hold down, protected the side of the batteries from sharp threads with shrink wrap tubing.

Changed hold down from factory wing nut to 1/4" thick plexiglass topped with steel electrical box cover

Ordered 00 battery connecting cable from eBay <$10

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
12v to 6v wiring with inverter 2017 FC

Appreciate all the info from you all... One thing I failed to find is a wiring diagram or instructions for the newer models. I have a 2017 20' FC. There are two sets (neg & pos) cables that come off the existing 12v parallel wired batteries (Note two sets of larger wires that route into the coach). I believe one set goes directly to the inverter independently...or am I completely wrong? If this is the case, how does one wire for that in the 6v series connection?

Also, is the 2017 and above battery box bigger than previous years and, therefore, able to accommodate the larger format batteries without modification?

Thanks!
Ric
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0198.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	328646  
rwiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-166881-4.html

Above is a link to a picture of my 6V golf cart batteries installed in a 2017 FC25. The one hard thing to see in the picture is the "series" wire which connects the negative post on the top-left of the picture to the positive post on the bottom-right of the picture. I put the red cap on the top-left negative post to indicate that it is the series connection.

Yes, golf cart batteries will fit in the newer Airstream battery box without modification. If you add a blade disconnect switch, like I did, then you will need to extend the top of the battery box.

On a pair of 6V batteries, both black cables go to one battery's negative post and both red cables go to the other battery's positive post. The other positive and negative post will have only the "series" wire connected to them. The "series" wire needs to be as large as practical. I found a 2 gauge wire for my series connection at a local auto parts store.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[QUOTE=rwiles

Also, is the 2017 and above battery box bigger than previous years and, therefore, able to accommodate the larger format batteries without modification?

Thanks!
Ric[/QUOTE]hope
Ric, our '14 is the oem traditional box size. On the 20-footers thread and other threads, i don't recollect this question in the last year, so i think '17 was the transition. Congrats, no conversion req. For me it's a planned mod but down the road still.

BTW, welcome to the forums and especially the 20-footers club!
Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I have done many 6VDC conversions for the battery box in question. I always use 2/0 cabling for the series connections on these batteries, as you are connecting the 2 batteries in series for 12VDC.

While other sizes will work, you will have no issues whatsoever with 2/0 cabling. A few bucks more for a definitely solid installation!

lewster is offline   Reply With Quote