Old 01-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Inline Resettable DC Circuit Breaker and Distribution Block

I'm guessing Lewster and the rest of the regulars on this forum will have a lot to say on this one!

I'm in the process of designing the electrical system for our '79 Excella 500 renovation. I'll be using a bank of 6V batteries tied together in Series-Parallel to provide 12V power. Before running the 12V line to the DC distribution panel (of which I'm using this WFCO 8930/50 AC/DC combo unit) I want to place a fuse and voltage meter inline. Here's a graphic to illustrate what I'm talking about...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 11.29.40 PM.png
Views:	101
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	229704

Related to this diagram, I have a few questions:
  1. For the fuse, I'm considering a resettable "breaker" instead of a traditional glass fuse that was installed in the camper originally. Here's the resettable unit I'm considering on eBay. Do you foresee any problem using a resettable breaker like this instead of a regular fuse? Also, since my camper wiring is 30Amp, I'm guessing I should use a 30Amp breaker here... is that correct?
  2. For the Voltage Meter, I don't need anything fancy, just something to give me a readout when I've got my head in the box instead of having to run to the front of the camper to see the other display. For this, I'm considering this unit on eBay. Do you foresee any problems with this type of voltage meter being placed inline between the fuse/breaker and DC distribution panel? Or should I look at something that's NOT inline, like this unit?
  3. For the Series-Parallel wiring inside the box of 6V batteries, Lewster recommended the use of AWG 4/0 "Welding Cable" to connect all the batteries. What gauge wire should I be using for the cables that come from the battery bank to the fuse, voltage meter, then to the DC distribution panel? I know it depends on distance, and for that reason everything (inverter, charger, transfer switch, DC distribution panel, battery bank) will be very close together, within a few feet. Do I need AWG 4/0 all the way to the DC Distribution panel, or can I use a smaller gauge once I'm outside the battery bank?
  4. Lastly, and Inverter related question, and I think I know the answer to this but want a sense check from the folks here... Should I connect my inverter directly to my battery bank (before any fuses/breakers) or should it be connected after the fuse/breaker My inverter/charger has built in resettable breakers for both AC and DC circuits.
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote