Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #1
jen

austin , Texas
i'm a freshie and need some help

i am going to be living in my friends airstream for a while...
we know nothing..

it's going to be in his backyard...

1) can we/how do we hook it up to the house (for power)?

2) what are the options for water/sewage?

any help ya'll could offer would be great!
thank you, kindly.
jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First of all, welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen
i am going to be living in my friends airstream for a while...
we know nothing..

it's going to be in his backyard...

1) can we/how do we hook it up to the house (for power)?

2) what are the options for water/sewage?

any help ya'll could offer would be great!
thank you, kindly.
Yes, you can hook-up the electrical to the house, depending on the amp of the outlet available. Your trailer should have a power cord with a 30 or 50 amp cord on it. If you have a 30 or 50 amp outlet available, that's easy. If not you have one or two choices:

1) use a 30 or 50 to 15 amp connector to step down to plug into a 'regular' grounded outlet.
2) add a 30 or 50 amp outlet

For water, a simple white hose will do as long as you aren't in an area that freezes.

As far as waste plumbing...it depends on the year/model of the trailer as to whether it has black/grey tanks or only black. Regardless, if you have a sewer connection outside the house you can attach your sewer line to, no problem. Otherwise one will need to be plumbed in or you will have to use your tanks and transport your waste either to a dump station by moving the trailer or via a 'blue tote'.

If it's a mid to long-term living situation, I would want to add the appropriate hook-ups which can be done relatively easily in most situations. If it's just a couple of days/weeks or temporary...you could get by with doing less. Just depends on how much 'roughing it' you want to do ~

Some other considerations are heat...do you have electric or propane heat? Depending on how cold it gets over winter you may have a very expensive heating expense or have to add some insulation to the under-belly, plumbing &/or windows. Winter living can be brutal...burst pipes, leaks and condensation are a few of the concerns.

It would help to know a little more about your trailer to address these issues in more detail.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:57 AM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
It is entirely feasible to live in a self-contained Airstream trailer. If your friend wants to make this a permanent guest house, he/she will need to hook up the septic system. AS Shari said, the electricity and plumbing will have to comply with local ordinances. If the property is zoned as a single residence, application will have to be made to the local authorities for a second residence.
Given the emergency nature of the hurricane aftermath, I imagine that local authorities will be somewhat lax in the restrictions, especially for temporary living quarters. Most county or state governments have restrictions on how long a travel trailer or moho can be used as a residence on private property.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote