Old 09-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I want my water pump switch to light up...

So... I bought a little red switch that lights up... popped of the smart-sensor panel... the existing switch an an unused green ground wire leading nowhere. I put the red switch in, but I can only get it to work the pump, or work the light, but not both. If I jumper the ground to the -, it will flash on when I switch it on, but doesn't stay on (the pump is running). I have no water in the system, so I can't leave the pump running too long.

The 3rd lead is supposed to go to ground, but there is no ground in the box... only + and - ...

Am I asking too much to have a kit switch for the water pump?

Ideas? I need to make it as foolproof as I can for when my wife takes it by herself...

Old 09-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
With 12V "-" is the ground.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
So... I bought a little red switch that lights up... popped of the smart-sensor panel... the existing switch an an unused green ground wire leading nowhere. I put the red switch in, but I can only get it to work the pump, or work the light, but not both. If I jumper the ground to the -, it will flash on when I switch it on, but doesn't stay on (the pump is running). I have no water in the system, so I can't leave the pump running too long.

The 3rd lead is supposed to go to ground, but there is no ground in the box... only + and - ...

Ideas? I need to make it as foolproof as I can for when my wife takes it by herself...

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
With 12V "-" is the ground.

Bill
Would the reason the switch isn't staying lit is because the pump us running and sucking all the power? I can't put any water in right now... got it winterized already...

Maybe I can take the ground to a black wire on the panel itself? Or should I use the - for the pump? Or just any black wire I can find handy?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I don't know, on my Safari, there is a three way switch, one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom, with a light in the kitchen when the pump is energized.

Bill

Quote:
Would the reason the switch isn't staying lit is because the pump us running and sucking all the power? I can't put any water in right now... got it winterized already...

Maybe I can take the ground to a black wire on the panel itself? Or should I use the - for the pump? Or just any black wire I can find handy?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Maybe wire the light right off the two wires on the pump. Power to pump = light on.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Maybe wire the light right off the two wires on the pump. Power to pump = light on.
This switch doesn't seem to work like that... it's got a +, -, and ground... when I go + to ground and turn it on, I get a light, but no pump. When I go + to - I get a pump, but no light. When I short the ground to the -, I get the light flashing when I turn it on and off, and the pump running...
Old 09-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Could you draw a schematic of how you are wiring the switch, and how the light and switch are wired internally? It should have a drawing on the package it came in.

Alternately, please provide the brand and part number of the switch, so we can find this info on the Internet.

Thanks...
Old 09-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:

Hi, check out the thread called "Favorite Mod Under $100" and you can see what I and others have done.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, check out the thread called "Favorite Mod Under $100" and you can see what I and others have done.
I found the thread, but can't seem to decode the instructions... I'll read over it again...
Old 09-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
If there is a switch in the bathroom and a switch in the galley like most Airstreams, then this is a 3-way circuit and you can not use a simple toggle switch in the circuit. The best option is to buy a 12v LED somewhere like Radio Shack. Use the original switch and wire the LED to the wire that goes from the switch to the water pump and the ground (black) wire on the LED to a white wire or else the body. In most trailers, that switch is in the galley. Alternately, you can wire the LED to the wires at the pump itself.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
If there is a switch in the bathroom and a switch in the galley like most Airstreams, then this is a 3-way circuit and you can not use a simple toggle switch in the circuit. The best option is to buy a 12v LED somewhere like Radio Shack. Use the original switch and wire the LED to the wire that goes from the switch to the water pump and the ground (black) wire on the LED to a white wire or else the body. In most trailers, that switch is in the galley. Alternately, you can wire the LED to the wires at the pump itself.
I think my only water pump switch is on the water control panel... there are two things that bug me with it... no 'on/off' label, and no light. The black switch that is in there now has 3 tabs, the + going to the middle and the - going to one end... the other tab had a clipped green wire going to no where (and no even taped or capped) just hanging.

I'm guessing that if I run the - and ground to the same pump wire, I'll get a light... but now all I get is the switch flashing briefly and then the pump running. I think if I could get the pump to stop, maybe the light would stay on... but I can't add water to the FW tank... (well I could, but it's all winterized).
Old 09-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Make and model of the switch?

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
OK, if you only have one switch, then it is not a 3-way circuit and the switch may be supplying ground with the +12 wired directly to the pump. Then, I would guess that the flash of the light you see is because the pump has a lot of resistance for an instant when first energized.

In that case, I agree with splitrock's post above that you should go back to the original switch and a light should be wired across the two wires at the pump. That would mean that the light would have to be physically close to the pump so that it can be wired. The best solution would be a 12v LED which pulls very negligible power when lit. Radio Shack sells 12v LEDs. Observe polarity.

Wish I could see a wiring diagram. The solution would then be obvious.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If the wires to the light are connected at the point that the pump gets power, the leads to the light can be as long as needed to install the light in any accessible location. I haven't understood the need for the light, but I assume there's a good reason. The principle is: that which has power (the pump) connected to that which needs power (the light) will provide needed power to that which needs power (the light).

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote