Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Hughes autoformer melted

This is just a warning of those who have installed the Hughes autoformer inside their airstream.
Mine had worked great for a little over 2 years it was the model rv430 (30 amp). I installed in the rear
cargo on my classic 25. We have the twin beds in the back and I was sitting there at the time when I
heard a hum, buzz then power failure. I knew it had to be the Hughes so I told the wife to grab the fire extinguisher
while I unplugged the airstream and opened the rear cargo door. Smoke was very heavy but once it cleared
I used gloves and some towels to remove it. It was still to hot to touch the bottom of it 45 minutes later and
smoke was very toxic smelling. Everything in the back was permeated with that toxic smell even metal objects.
If we had not been there I have no doubt a fire would have occurred and or the smoke would have found its
way into the living area. After taking it apart it was just melted into on big glob. There was no way you can
even take a breath near it even now 5 days later.

I called Hughes today to find out about the toxic effects of the smoke and they had no guidance on if
It was harmful or how to clean it up. I was told the unit was not repairable since they don't have parts
for that unit anymore. They told me to dispose of the unit right away. Anyone know if that smoke was
epoxy , resin and what concerns one should have dealing with it.

Since I am home I have used carpet cleaner with little effect on the smell. I also used goop hand cleaner
and that worked better it reduced the smell by better than half. I have a fan on it right now hopefully that
will fix the last bit.. I may try some odo ban. I can't imagine if that smoke had gotten in the living area.

I am not planning on replacing the unit even though I really liked the stable voltage. I will just go
with a EMS with surge protection.

My suggestion to anyone who has one of these units enjoy it but let it stay outside not inside.

Pappy

Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
A cautionary tale indeed. All transformers fail eventually. The constant slight movement of the wires from the magnetic forces of the ac cause them to wear.

Typically transformers are varnished with a fairly ordinary alkyd-type varnish. Epoxy is only used on higher-end products -- research, radio, high voltage, etc -- because it's harder to work with.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Bummer, Pappy, as I have this on my list. Low park voltage and constant A/C run . . and I need a new A/C, so an autoformer install before the new Mach 8 is planned. I am/was going to put mine in the cord storage area of the Silver Streak which is outside/adjacent to the rear bedroom.

Maybe not, now.

Not quite clear when you refer to smell, you do mean inside the TT, correct? In which case, after cleaning surfaces (but before having carpet cleaned) I would rent an ozone generator.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
If we had not been there I have no doubt a fire would have occurred
You are very lucky to have been there at the time. Quick action on your part may have saved your AS from far worse damage.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I used to work in a transformer winding area that made small transformers for PC power supplies. The varnish that is used on windings smells really bad when the transformer overheats, but I don't think there is any toxic residue that you have to worry about. Washing ALL smooth surfaces thoroughly and laundering fabrics should remove most of the smell. Then, a thorough airing out, perhaps with a little spritz of Febreze, should get things back to normal.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Bummer, Pappy, as I have this on my list. Low park voltage and constant A/C run . . and I need a new A/C, so an autoformer install before the new Mach 8 is planned. I am/was going to put mine in the cord storage area of the Silver Streak which is outside/adjacent to the rear bedroom.

Maybe not, now.

Not quite clear when you refer to smell, you do mean inside the TT, correct? In which case, after cleaning surfaces (but before having carpet cleaned) I would rent an ozone generator.

Slowmover,

Luckily the smoke smell was isolated to the carpeted rear storeage area. This area on mind is the width of the airstream and
about 2 ft deep by 18inches in height .. But since that area is vented to the inside if we hadn't been there it would have been a
different story.

Pappy
Old 04-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I used to work in a transformer winding area that made small transformers for PC power supplies. The varnish that is used on windings smells really bad when the transformer overheats, but I don't think there is any toxic residue that you have to worry about. Washing ALL smooth surfaces thoroughly and laundering fabrics should remove most of the smell. Then, a thorough airing out, perhaps with a little spritz of Febreze, should get things back to normal.
Phoenix,

I appreciate this information maybe I will live in spite of breathing those fumes.

Pappy