Old 07-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
Hughes Autoformer any users care to comment

Iíve searched the forum using Hughes Autoformer in the search window, with little results. There is an updated unit that includes surge protection and the original purpose of boosting voltage to avoid damage to electrical equipment. Itís expensive direct from Hughes and takes a month for a slightly less expensive option on Amazon. My concern is low voltage. I am reacting to horror stories from attendees at large rallies with shared power. So is there anyone with real world experience using the Hughes Autoformer? I am also questioning if I really need it. I run 30 amp service and have easyStart on my AC. I do use a surge protector but not one that shuts down when it detects low voltage. So any help will be appreciated.

mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
IMHO, this is over kill

if you have under voltage to poor site design, it may be worse than the auto transformer can handle/adapt to.

our device simply shuts off with under or over voltage.

this keeps us safe.

IMHO, safe is better to be safe, than depending on technology that attempts to correct a bad design/situation

my 2 cents

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
I use one sometimes. Some campgrounds aren’t up to snuff and in the summer here, all the ACs kick on at once. Our surge protector does turn everything off when there is low voltage but when I see voltage below 110, I add the autoformer before the surge protector. The surge protector can still do its thing but if the autoformer fixes voltage (which it really does), I am good.

I like them separate so when one breaks, gets fried, etc. I only replace that part. Also the autoformer is heavy and I only use it about half or a third the time. Many campgrounds (like the one we are in now) it is not necessary.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Click image for larger version

Name:	new monitor.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	345459I've done the research and bought the Southwire and remote monitor. The best EMS (electrical management system) are Progressive Industries and Southwire. Both have the best warranties and Progressive is recommended by many here. The two product are essentially the same.

So you have two choices, portable and built in. I chose the portable. Both portables have small windows that monitor and provide fault codes. But unless you go out and bend over to read them, you don't know anything is wrong until the protection kicks in and you lose power. They both monitor and will restart when it is safe.

I have a friend that sells the Progessive but I bought the Southwire because of the wireless remote monitor. Anytime I can look at the monitor and know exactly the condition of the power supply. About $400 for both delivered to local Wallmart.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:00 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPeanut View Post
I use one sometimes. Some campgrounds arenít up to snuff and in the summer here, all the ACs kick on at once. Our surge protector does turn everything off when there is low voltage but when I see voltage below 110, I add the autoformer before the surge protector. The surge protector can still do its thing but if the autoformer fixes voltage (which it really does), I am good.

I like them separate so when one breaks, gets fried, etc. I only replace that part. Also the autoformer is heavy and I only use it about half or a third the time. Many campgrounds (like the one we are in now) it is not necessary.
Thank you. The sequence you use is what I would do. As I read the specs on th new autoformer, the fried part is replaceable and surge / low voltage are in one unit. Good point about the weight! Do you check voltage at the pole to decide if youíre going to use the autoformer? My concern is at a rally like the international coming up in a couple of weeks. Things can look good one part of the day and go downhill quickly as more AS come on line or hit the AC. It would only take 1 hairdryer on a daisy chain to go low voltage.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:09 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
I do check voltage at the post first with the surge protector. It gives me a reading on each leg. At Doswell, I will be using it. I probably should be using it today as where we are filled up on the 4th and the power just went out! Early am coffee x 200 might have done it.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
may not be compatible with GFCI outlets

I just took a look at the Hughs Autoformer website. In the list of features there is a note stating that the unit may not be compatible with GFCI outlets. Not sure what that implies. Other than that it sounds like an interesting device.
Ronyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've used a Hughes Autoformer in my '86 Sovereign for over 8 years and I am perfectly satisfied with what it does. I used the adapter kit with short 30 amp plug/lead wire and mounted the unit in my streetside storage compartment under my side bed.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Summerfield , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPeanut View Post
I do check voltage at the post first with the surge protector. It gives me a reading on each leg. At Doswell, I will be using it. I probably should be using it today as where we are filled up on the 4th and the power just went out! Early am coffee x 200 might have done it.
I do the same. If I pull into a campground with 8-9 Facility rating, generally the electrical infrastructure has been adequately installed to handle 30-50 amp RV requirements. If I pull into a campground with 5-7 Facility rating, generally the electrical infrastructure, could be older and show 115 volts or less at the post or inside the trailer. I will set up my surge protector anticipating at least another 3-4 volt drop when starting my Roof A/C , electric water heater, and Microwave. Here's what I use.

Surge Guard 10176 30-Amp Voltage Regulator (Amazon)

Two years ago, one RV park in Florida (8 faculty rating) I had 105 volts at the pole and starting a 2 ton A/C was impossible. Voltage dropped to 98 volts with attempts to start up. BEWARE: If there is a sign at the register that says, "No Refunds", something is probably wrong at the Campground. In my case it was the low voltage. Got my refund and moved to another campground.

Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote