Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Westminster , Colorado
Hubbell Twist Lock 15 amp (?) Adapter vs Bargman 30 amp

I have a 1959 Overlander, which I just removed the Hubbell Twist Lock adapter. I believe it says 15a - for amp? Anyhow. I'm not sure what it's for, if I need it...should I patch over that hole? Should I find a replacement for it? I understand the 30 amp adapter (which is missing for all intents and purposes. The shell was intact, but basically a hole), and that makes sense to re-install...but what about the Hubbell adapter?
Thanks in advance!
Rachael
painterfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Hubbel is what I run. Great product!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Westminster , Colorado
So, are they the same thing??
Old 07-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
15 and 30A (letter "A" denotes Amperage rating).

They are "not" the "same".

There have been improvements in quality and safety over the decades. If you want to go with Bargman power supply cord sets, use the Bargman socket for the rating you desire.

I upgraded our AS to 50A using Hubbel products. There is a waterproof cap on the socket and waterproof cover with screw cap on the twist-lock plug.

What specifically do you want to know? Using the Hubbel components I was able to make my own power cord in a length I desired. I can move the connectors to Fresh cabling should this one become damaged. Just my choice for a way to do things.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Latest and greatest (?) thing. Being used by several SOB and marine manufactures.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Westminster , Colorado
I'd like to know if there is a reason to keep both.
Am I able to use an adapter to plug into my house power?
I'm in the process of patching holes, and if I don't need one, I'd like to just patch over it with buck rivets instead of waiting till later and using pop rivets.

Thanks for your help!!
Rachael
Old 07-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
You need to use the correct terminology to enable someone to answer your question.

An "adapter" does just that - adapts one kind of plug or socket to fit into something else. I can only assume, since you are talking about something that is permanently mounted in your trailer's skin, that you are talking about what is properly called an "inlet receptacle." That's what a power cord would plug into. I have never seen a "15A twist lock" receptacle in my decades of experience with RV and marine electrical systems.

If you are rewiring the trailer from scratch, you will want a 30A inlet receptacle. There's no reason for two. There are several brands available - Hubbell, Marinco, Furrion - and, as someone mentioned here, Smartplug, which isn't a twistlock, and is actually better in several respects.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Westminster , Colorado
Good grief! I didn't realize that snark came free of charge. I'm unapologetic that I don't have the "correct" terminology. If I knew what I was talking about, I wouldn't have posted a question. I did a Google search, and the word "adapter" attached. The receptacle, as you call it, says "hubbell twist lock" and was permanently afixed to the front of the trailer. I'm sure it's not a typical thing. My airstream also didn't have the correct/period lights on the top, but that's the way it was made. Stranger things have happened.
Thank you for answering my question about whether I need both or not. I'll just do the 30amp.
Rachael
Old 07-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Nemo , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by painterfam View Post
I'd like to know if there is a reason to keep both.
Am I able to use an adapter to plug into my house power?
I'm in the process of patching holes, and if I don't need one, I'd like to just patch over it with buck rivets instead of waiting till later and using pop rivets.

Thanks for your help!!
Rachael
Aesthetically, it might be preferable to replace both the 15 and 30 Amp inlets rather than patching the hole for the 15 and relying on just the 30 for connection. Without knowing your situation, I can imagine me using the 15 Amp inlet just to power the battery charger when the trailer is sitting in storage where a 30 Amp connection might not be available. This would save having to use your 30 Amp cord set and an adapter. A simple selector switch on the battery charger primary is all you'd need.
Another option might be to reuse the 15 Amp inlet opening for a cable TV or telephone inlet, even if it's a dummy.
clarklaflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Mill Valley , Left Coast
Actually the person who had the snarkey answer is quite wrong.
Look up NEMA L15R , it's a 15 Amp twist lock receptacle. I have installed hundreds... but... they are not a common configuration.
J.B.
jbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Mill Valley , Left Coast
L5-15R sorry!
jbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:10 PM   #12
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbxx View Post
Actually the person who had the snarkey answer is quite wrong.
Look up NEMA L15R , it's a 15 Amp twist lock receptacle. I have installed hundreds... but... they are not a common configuration.
J.B.
Captain Snark here, sure am sorry if I chafed some thin skin. Sheesh. It's helpful to use the right terms when asking a question, that's just a fact, I tried to impart the correct terminology. And you'll notice that I didn't say a 15A twistlock didn't exist - of course they do - but they are, as you admit, rare in the RV and marine markets. What I said was I've never seen one in my three decades of marine service and surveying.

To the original poster, I meant no offense, just trying to understand what you're asking, since the terminology you used raised questions.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
Richard

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
You should give serious consideration to the RV Smart Plug. Check it out at SmartPlug Systems - Shore Power Products and Accessories. PS I am an end user only. I don't sell this stuff so this in not an advertisement for Smart Plug. Just advice from someone who has changed a few burned out twist lock power cord connectors. Sorry to say Airstream has not switched to Smart Plug.
kleimanr is offline   Reply With Quote