Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We also had a 30amp/120v line put in for our Bambi which is stored under a "Bambi Port" attached to the house. Fortunatley, our electrical box is just feet from the Port. The Bambi is plugged in all the time so in the summer we can have a cool Bambi...and if cold enough in the winter we can keep the furnace on to keep it above freezing. We also have a regular household line there that we can use for everything but the AC in the event we have guests requiring the dedicated 30amp service. Putting in the 30 amp line is one of the best things we've done ... and well worth hiring an electrician to do it properly.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Burnsville , North Carolina
Thanks for the info. I am close enough to the house so I don't need an extension cord too. After reading your and other posts, I will definately have an electrician install 30amp service. Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
No, in fact you probably do not want one bigger than a 20 amp in that circuit. The adaptor is generally used for the basic power supply to an RV. Lights, radio, fans can be used on the adapter - the microwave and the AC will need the more substantial dedicated 30 amp plug in. They may work on the adapter but over time the cord will overheat and there will be damage to the electronics in the AC and microwave.

Did you need an extension cord too (other than the RV cord)? That will limit the number of items you can power up at one time. Check the circuit, see what else in the house is using it - if you are not home and it trips the breaker in the house you don't want a home freezer to go off.
CeloNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Bill, like you I am a bit fearful of electricity. The very first post gave you your two options. Both will work. I have an adapter and used it for a while just fine. But when it got really hot down here this summer I had an electrician run a dedicated 30 amp plug for me. Mounted on side of garage so I just pull the shore power cord over and connect, just like at a park, I think it was about $150.
Happy camping

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Bill,

I live "in town" and have to run an extension cord to my trailer on the street. I can't get close to the garage because of a sloping driveway. I am using the adapter/extension cord system. This system works great for me because I only plug in for pre-trip preparations and an ocassional project done in front of the house. We never use the AC while parked on the street.

If I could park next to the garage I would wire in a 30 amp receptacle. One way to cut down on the cost would be for you to run the wire from the box to the place you want to install the outlet. Run the proper size wire, leave plenty of extra at the box (5 feet) and a couple of extra feet at the outlet. Have all the parts on hand and the electrician would simply connect everything. A pretty easy task. I did one for a friend of mine. He ran the wires an installed the outlet. All I did was hook it all up and we were done in about 20 minutes.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Burnsville , North Carolina
Thanks again to all for the great assistance. I have a good idea of what i need to do now and I haven't burned the house or the trailer down so i am ahead of the game. All I want for Christmas is a new converter and a 30amp circuit, two things i wouldn't have cared a wit about a month ago. Think I got the Airstream bug. Happy Holidays to all! Bill
CeloNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeloNC View Post
Thanks again to all for the great assistance. I have a good idea of what i need to do now and I haven't burned the house or the trailer down so i am ahead of the game. All I want for Christmas is a new converter and a 30amp circuit, two things i wouldn't have cared a wit about a month ago. Think I got the Airstream bug. Happy Holidays to all! Bill
Hmmmm, sounds like aluminitus alright. Maybe be acute right now....but will soon surely be chronic.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
What about the parts needed to have a 50A plug in?

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Texas View Post
What about the parts needed to have a 50A plug in?
Midwest Electric - 110V Electrical Power Outlet Box, 50 Amp - Electrical Adapters - Camping World

Buy the 50 amp 120v box and a 50amp breaker to fit your home electrical box (look in the panel box door for model or brand) and I would use #8 wire. Consult with an electrician for proper wire size. Camping World has them in store, Home Depot or an electrical supply store can order one. Setup is the same as the 30amp.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I believe that's the correct outlet, except that it's really a 120/240 50a outlet.
The Midwest part number from the CW spec is a 120/240 split phase box. Camping World has it listed incorrectly as a 110V box.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeloNC View Post
Well....this will help you get started on that next project as soon as you have power at your house.

Intelli-Power PD9260C 60A Electronic RV Converter/Charger

It is fun to watch others walk a similar path!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Bill,

If you decide to go witih option #1, suggest you put red tape with a note on the switch to the air conditioning or heat pump.

Since you are talking about at home, you might think that you will be the only one to flick switches in your trailer, but your wife|children|close neighbour|whoever might not know that you think that.
Excellent suggestioin ... Not laughing here, but my wife hit the AC/Heat pump while plugged in at home and melted down the adapter. I am not sure just why the GFCI or breaker did not blow, but a little corrosion on the plug or adapter/ cable caused the two connectors to heat up and burn through! Heed the advice given above about max amps and extension cords.
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Midwest Electric - 110V Electrical Power Outlet Box, 50 Amp - Electrical Adapters - Camping World

Buy the 50 amp 120v box and a 50amp breaker to fit your home electrical box (look in the panel box door for model or brand) and I would use #8 wire. Consult with an electrician for proper wire size. Camping World has them in store, Home Depot or an electrical supply store can order one. Setup is the same as the 30amp.
The #8 wire is rated at 40 amps therefore a #6 which is rated at 60 amps is the correct size for the 50 amp service.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote