Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to mtccollins
How to hook up 30 amp to my home

What do I have to do to hook up a plug unit that will give me all 30 amps at my house? I have a 66 ambassador and want to work on it at home but the power here needs to be changed. I really need someone to "splain" it to me
Old 11-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
New circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtccollins
What do I have to do to hook up a plug unit that will give me all 30 amps at my house? I have a 66 ambasdsador and want to work on it at home but the power here needs to be changed
Call an electrician, you'll need a new breaker as well as a 30amp outlet.
You may want to consider having a post installed in your yard or even a water hookup and a sewer drain..... Build a pool, set up your Airstream as a "cabana" and really live it up!

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:55 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

reply to reply

I don't want to call an electircian, I just need to know what to do. Who can afford one of those guys and how long am I going to wait? I am very handy and have done a lot of wiring. I think I know how to keep from getting fried
Old 11-22-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
I don't want to call an electircian, I just need to know what to do. Who can afford one of those guys and how long am I going to wait? I am very handy and have done a lot of wiring. I think I know how to keep from getting fried
mtccollins,

Not to be cranky, but then you should know how to do it. I installed a 30A outlet inside my garage. The garage is about 70 feet from the electric panel. Since I did not know how to size the wire, I had it installed by an electrician. He used 10/2 wire and a 30A breaker in the box. The distance you have to run the wire and the expected load on the wire affects the gauge of the wire.

For example, he ran 8 gauge for my A/C unit but only 10 guage for the oven. The run to the A/C is about twice the distance as the oven.

Bill

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Waskom , Texas
Here's one link on this:
http://users3.ev1.net/~crossstitch/RVWiring/wiring.html

You will need dedicated wiring installed from your home electrical panel to the RV outlet. A 30 amp outlet will require a 30 amp circuit breaker, single pole. This must match your home panel. The wiring size depends on the distance or length of wire you will need. A minimum of awg # 10, two conductor with a ground should be used. If the distance is over 150 feet, consider increasing the size of the wire to awg # 8. Be sure to follow all your local codes. As has been already suggested, if you are not sure, you should call an electrician. If you install the wiring correctly, a licensed electrician should connect it at a reasonable cost.
Good luck,
Calvin
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
What do I have to do to hook up a plug unit that will give me all 30 amps at my house? I have a 66 ambassador and want to work on it at home but the power here needs to be changed. I really need someone to "splain" it to me
Funny, just did this yesterday. Not a real big issue, I have done plenty of electrical work inn the past - I am not an electrician.

Wire - 10/2 ga (5 feet) $8.00
Box with RV 30a 120V outlet $21.00
Breaker 30a GE $3.49

I mounted mine right outside the wall from my subpanel in my garage. Had to drill a hole through brick and mount the box on brick. Took an hour.

You must know your way around a main panel box and how to install a breaker. Remember to check on the right configuration of the outlet and wire connections - looking at the outlet face - round hole up - lower left is black (hot) - lower right is white and top round is ground.

Good luck
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:13 AM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
sounds good clancy, you folks can use this calculator to determine wire size for load/distance @ 3% voltage drop.

http://www.elec-toolbox.com/calculators/voltdrop.htm

john
Old 11-23-2006, 07:26 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
MT, sounds as if you are determined, so, what Calvin says is a good.
Next, you should think about what you really are wanting to do. Are you going to be using 30 amps, 20 amps, 10? Take a good look at your appliances and the combined electrical use. Most folks think an A/C uses tremendous amounts of energy. They do not. Most less than 15 amps except on start. Are you wanting to live in the unit, or just keep the batteries charged? (that's another thread within itself) Unless you are going a long way, #10 wire is fine.
Next, DO NOT, under anyy circumstance, open your electrical service with the main breaker still on. TURN IT OFF FIRST!!! Turn it off first!!!!
DID I mention to turn it off first!!!!!!!!
Now, did it sink in that this is a 110 volt 30 amp breaker that you need? Do not wire the receptacle with 220 volts. Now if you don't understand that, hire it done. If you understand all that, then you are well on your way. Make sure all connections are very tight and clean. After running the wire and hooking up the receptacle, then close up the electric service, and turn the main breaker on, and then turn on your new 30 amp breaker. You should be good to go.
Oh, and welcome to the forums and the support group for folks afflicted with aluminitus.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Good Group!

I am impressed. I am sure that I can handle this form here. I am grateful for the concern over my safety as well and if I may have sounded a bit cavelier, I beg your pardon. As you all know, none of this is Rocket Science and while we need to be concerned ie. "DID I MENTION TO TURN IT OFF?" No one wants the $300 bill of an electrician if we have always been good with this stuff. I personally have several years experience in residential remodeling and have done things before as long as I knew what to do. The wire size is one of those things as well as using one breaker exclusively for this hook up. Thanks again
Old 11-23-2006, 09:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
hi guys
im the electricion every thing said so far is corect.I have done this job for a few people.Its no big deal! the 115 volt circuit breakers are thiner and only have one conection for one wire.[black]the white and bare copper go to the grounded terminal strip in a main panel,[seprate terminal strips in a sub feed panel] just hook it up like the other wires already in the box.I dont turn the main power off,I dont like re seting all the clocks and i know my way around in there,but it is a good idea.Rember,that even with the main off,the main wires feeding the box are live and often theas are not protected ,so watch out for thoes! they have a lot of kick to them. i will be around all weekend so i will be glad to help all i can

bibbs
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote