Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
How to get 12V inside rear bumper of 25FB

I have bought parts to put together a rear view camera on the back of my 2010 25FB Flying Cloud. I was going to install the camera to the rear bumper - and have the wires run in the rear bumper compartment (where i currnetly stow my dump tubing).

I am a newbie (not yet taken in on it's 1st trip) and have not worked on an AS before. Does anybody have some guidance on what source i should use to get the 12V and how i may route the wires from it (also more detail the better - since completely ignorant at this point on AS construction, etc.). Looking for easiest approach. Also - plan to have the camera always on when dirving (not just for backing up); but could if i have too, run AS with lights on always when driving.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
You can secure wiring off the license plate light or off a tail light. If I remember the 25' does not have a rear storage compartment, but if it does there would be a 12v light in their to pull from.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Honestly, I would do a temporary setup first to be sure where you want the camera. You could get temp power through the rear window and into the inside at a 12 volt outlet. Or consider mounting the camera inside the rear window, at least to start with. The bumper location may be too low.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I would also mount the camera temporarily. Just run a wire down from the tag light.

The reason that I say this that I had a Voyager Camera mounted at the middle belt line on my 23FB. I found that a camera mounted low on the back of an Airstream is useless in the rain. That is just the time when the camera would be the most helpful.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Almost all motor homes have backup cameras. So do many 5'ers. All of them are mounted quite high, near the marker lights. I'd be inclined to try some temporary locations first. Mounting the camera and getting power to it is a (relatively) simple affair. How are you going to get the signal from the camera to the monitor? I'm assuming that your monitor will be in your truck. Are you going to use a wireless camera? That may be the simplest method.

As for how to, get an 8' step ladder and lean it against the rear of the trailer. Use a box or whatever to put the camera up as high as you can. You can run some temporary power to it because you aren't going to be driving at this time. Play around with the location to find the best spot to show you what's around the rear of your coach. Most camera have a pretty wide lens, so you should find a decent spot fairly easily.

Once you figure out where you would like the camera you can try to figure out how to mount it. My camera has a U-shaped bracket that attaches to the coach and has a hole to run the power leads. You will need a spot about 3" x 6" that is fairly flat. Figure out what's behind the skin there. If the spot is clear, drill the proper holes. If not, look at another location.

The camera doesn't draw a lot of power, but it does draw some. I'd look for something that gets power from your tow vehicle. Check your plug for a terminal that is hot with ignition ON and dead with ignition OFF. That is likely the one that charges the trailer battery. To make sure, get your tow vehicle close enough to hook up the cord. Check the coach battery with a volt meter and note the voltage. Then plug the coach into the tow vehicle, start the engine, and check the voltage again. If it is higher that means that your tow vehicle charges the coach battery, so you can tap into any convenient 12 volt wire.

If your tow vehicle doesn't charge the coach battery you will just have to accept the fact that your coach battery will be down a very small amount more than it was before. No big deal either way.

Driving with your headlights on is a good idea anyway, so tapping into the power for the clearance lights may well be the easiest. A side benefit of that is that if your camera doesn't come on it means that your trailer lights aren't on, either.

Our wireless monitor just plugs into a 12 volt power port, so your biggest challenge is going to be making the monitor stay put. Ours uses a suction cup so it can attach to the windshield. Remember that your GPS wants to use that same power port, so you may need to get a 12 volt splitter.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Thanks. Recognize common theme - needs to be higher. Will do the temporary install to figure out the best location. Was a little scared about drilling thru that beautiful AS body. If real high works - maybe right below the middle top running light? (so wire from light to camera just an inch or two).

I was originally planning on running wires (under the AS?) up to the hitch area, and then trying wireless to a display in the truck. If the wireless doesn't work - then would just go to wired. I guess how i run wires to the hitch area - depends on where the camera hooks up.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
That would be a great spot - IF there is no interference on the inside. When you drill the holes you will need to provide some method of keeping water outside (some sort of caulk or gasket). You will also need to put a grommet in the hole for the power leads. The bracket may have a grommet, but that will be for the hole in the bracket. You will also need one to go on the Airstream skin. You may need to search a bit to find the right one.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Keswick , VA
We have a voyageur camera mounted on our 25 FC. It is mounted high above the window and below the upper light. Visibility is excellent for backing up and for monitoring who is behind and when pulling back into lane after passing. The dealer installed the camera and I believe power was obtained from the running light.
This is a wifi unit and we pull with the unit activated but with the sound turned off. The truck has to have running lights on to power the unit. I like driving with the truck and trailer lights on anyway. We have had no issues at all with the wifi unit and can't imagine having to deal with wires. Ug. Good luck.
herkvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mountain Top , Pennsylvania
Smile

Do not be a hero and screw up your beautiful Airstream! Suggest you go to a competent Airstream dealer (e.g. Colonial Airstream - in Lakewood NJ etc.) and have them install the camera and wireless receiver (to the vehicle electrical system). There is a complete kit assembly they will use ---- plus they know where to make the proper connections! My camera is mounted on the top rear in the vicinity of the three rear marker lights .... the system works successfully for backing up as well as a "pseudo" rear view mirror - and has further eliminated the need for those elongated mirrors some folks hang on their tow vehicle! Good luck.
jgdunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Mounted the Voyager camera above the brand name on the rear with power coming from the light in the roof locker street side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voyager install-detail.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	233673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Voyager install-rear.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	233674  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v