Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2003, 09:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

How to check charging system (69 Safari)

Hi,

Here is my ignorance showing...

We got our Safari yesterday... The PO drove off and my wife and I opened it up and jumped in.

(Lots of really good things happened here...just not important to this post. We're really excited and happy with our new A/S)

There was, however, no power. When we looked at it last weekend the Ampmeter and the Battery-condition guage both showed good (even when not attached to 110.) It's the same battery (I checked.) I hooked it up to my truck and we got lights...so I hauled it over to the storage center and went to work.

On the way home I stopped and put a Volt-meter on the battery (2.5v/No Amps (Apollo 13?)), checked the DC lights (nothing...) I plugged into my truck and got lights -- but nothing off the battery (not sure I checked right...) I unplugged my truck after about 10-15 minutes and the DC lights dimmed, but were still working after another 10-15 minutes...so there was some residual charge in the battery. The ampmeter and battery condition guage still showed zip.

Fuses are all good.

One last thing (that may be a red herring): While moving the trailer to the storage centerv (about halfway there) my Prodigy brake controller told me the was an overload and then that there was a short in the braking system...I'm new with the controller and I'm not sure I set it right...or that I'm reading it right. The brakes worked fine last night when I tested them.

How would an experienced A/S owner go about checking that this system is working?

All answers and suggestions appreciated.

Bob
Bob Boucneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Sounds like your battery is shot. 2.5 volts is wayyyy below the minimum. Really should not be below 11.8-12 volts. 10.5 volts is considered a "dead" battery with 0% capacity.

First thing I would do is disconnect battery, and hook to shore power. You should have around 13.2-14 volts coming off the converter.

A good replacement battery would be a Trojan 31XHS.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Smile

Thanks Pick,

I pulled out some hair trying to prove you were wrong (the PO said the battery was good...) but in the end plunked down the cash for a battery and got a fully functional electrical system in return.

You were absolutly right.

The old battery actually got to 4.5v on Saturday afternoon...before it got recycled.

Thanks again,

Bob
Bob Boucneau is offline   Reply With Quote