Old 10-08-2006, 12:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
OK, guys, time for education. I got mine the hard way.
It does not matter at all about the amps or watts when it comes to protecting your equipment, but rather VOLTS getting there. The breakers take care of too large of a demand.

The amps pulled by each appliance can be added together, and if they total less than the breaker is rated, will cause nothing to happen, When they exceed it, then the breaker trips.
This would explain why this summer we lost a circuit when I was running the A/C while plugged into a regular house-hold socket and the wife plugged in a vacuum cleaner into a separate outlet, same circuit. We had to reset the tripped circuit breaker, but everything was fine.

Thanks! I'll keep on running the A/C for comfort!
a.Z.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:08 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Don't use the A/C!

Over the week end we were in the mountains and used the heat pump. Each morning since we discovered the breaker had tripped. That is how we discovered the heat pump had been left on. 15 amps can't handle much more than lights and refridgerator.
Minniesmate,
Actually, you can use anything that you want, AS LONG AS the combined amps used are not in excess of the breaker the electricity is coming through. I have a 20 amp breaker, and the A/C, fridge, and converter have been on the last 3 days (I live outside of Griffin), packing for a short trip. The big key is to ensure FIRST that the voltage to the unit stays up when you are running these things, and then second, the amps do not exceed what your breaker is rated for.

WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:01 AM   #17
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
SB312 is correct about the voltage drop. The amp thing will take care of itself (breaker trip) for the most part, but a low voltage will do damage to the air conditioner. The PO of my TT left these two items for me and they are plugged into an outlet in the kitchen area. Very easy to see when you enter the trailer. The top is a volt meter and the bottom is a polarity / ground checker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	26736  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:10 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Aurora , Colorado
I know what the volt meter does, but what's the polarity function for? To make sure that you are actively grounded?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #19
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Different combinations of lights turn on to show the status of the power. The condition in the photo is polarity correct and proper ground. It will detect no ground, no neutral, reversed hot and neutral etc. BTW when on generator (Honda EU1000) it will show correct polarity but no ground. This is normal.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Aurora , Colorado
I gotta GET me one of those!
Old 10-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #21
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
Minniesmate,
Actually, you can use anything that you want, AS LONG AS the combined amps used are not in excess of the breaker the electricity is coming through. I have a 20 amp breaker, and the A/C, fridge, and converter have been on the last 3 days (I live outside of Griffin), packing for a short trip. The big key is to ensure FIRST that the voltage to the unit stays up when you are running these things, and then second, the amps do not exceed what your breaker is rated for.

I agree. However, if your AS is parked very far from the house and you have to use an extension cord, you will have a voltage drop that can cause damage to the A/C unit or you can simply add up to too many amps and trip the breaker during the start-up of the compressor.

It all depends on what is connected to the circuit other than the Airstream. Ideally, you should have a dedicated 30 amp circuit to plug the Airstream into. If you don't you run the risk that you may not have the volts to run the A/C or you will keep tripping breakers or damage the A/C.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
On the days when I am alert and paying attention this is how I provide electricty to my unit. I make certain power is off at the breaker in the trailer. I also make certain that power is off at the camp connection. I plug in my 30 amp to 15 amp adapter along with my circuit tester. I then put the breaker in the on position and check the lights on my circuit tester. If all lights are green I turn off the breaker unplug the adapter, attach the camper power cord and turn the breaker back on. If the circuit tester shows there is a problem I contact the campground and let them know that they have an electrical problem at my site. I have found problems at several campgrounds and many/most Airstreams will not operate with reversed polarity. Once I have determined that the source of power is correct I go into the trailer and turn on the main circuit, then one breaker at a time. I look at the voltage meter to determine the voltage level. I have run my ac unit on 20 amps at 110 volts. My home circuit is wired for 20 amps with a 20 amp breaker and I have never triped this breaker with the trailer.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I agree with clancy boy. I had my electrician put a box on the outside of my workshop wheere my trailer parking pad is located. It is a dedicated 30 amp 12v circuit with an RV plug in a weather protected box (ie, it has a cover on it even when I'm plugged in). Well worth the roughly $100 - 150 to install. Cheap insurance when you consider the alternative.
Scott