Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #21
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
Minniesmate,
Actually, you can use anything that you want, AS LONG AS the combined amps used are not in excess of the breaker the electricity is coming through. I have a 20 amp breaker, and the A/C, fridge, and converter have been on the last 3 days (I live outside of Griffin), packing for a short trip. The big key is to ensure FIRST that the voltage to the unit stays up when you are running these things, and then second, the amps do not exceed what your breaker is rated for.

I agree. However, if your AS is parked very far from the house and you have to use an extension cord, you will have a voltage drop that can cause damage to the A/C unit or you can simply add up to too many amps and trip the breaker during the start-up of the compressor.

It all depends on what is connected to the circuit other than the Airstream. Ideally, you should have a dedicated 30 amp circuit to plug the Airstream into. If you don't you run the risk that you may not have the volts to run the A/C or you will keep tripping breakers or damage the A/C.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
On the days when I am alert and paying attention this is how I provide electricty to my unit. I make certain power is off at the breaker in the trailer. I also make certain that power is off at the camp connection. I plug in my 30 amp to 15 amp adapter along with my circuit tester. I then put the breaker in the on position and check the lights on my circuit tester. If all lights are green I turn off the breaker unplug the adapter, attach the camper power cord and turn the breaker back on. If the circuit tester shows there is a problem I contact the campground and let them know that they have an electrical problem at my site. I have found problems at several campgrounds and many/most Airstreams will not operate with reversed polarity. Once I have determined that the source of power is correct I go into the trailer and turn on the main circuit, then one breaker at a time. I look at the voltage meter to determine the voltage level. I have run my ac unit on 20 amps at 110 volts. My home circuit is wired for 20 amps with a 20 amp breaker and I have never triped this breaker with the trailer.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I agree with clancy boy. I had my electrician put a box on the outside of my workshop wheere my trailer parking pad is located. It is a dedicated 30 amp 12v circuit with an RV plug in a weather protected box (ie, it has a cover on it even when I'm plugged in). Well worth the roughly $100 - 150 to install. Cheap insurance when you consider the alternative.
Scott
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote