Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
How Amazingly Stupid (on my part)

So I've been working on getting this trailer rehabilitated for almost a year. I've replaced the old Univolt with a new Intellipower, gone through the electrical systems to make sure all the lights and everything worked as they should, etc. Yesterday I took out a small wall heater to accomodate new subfloor and vinyl flooring - the heater was installed in the 90's. When I went to re-install it I got a pretty decent shock! Holy Crap Batman, something is amiss! Nothing else shocked me, just this one thing. So this evening I started investigating. The first thing I did was take my $4.95 circuit tester and plug it in to an outlet and guess what, the lights on the tester indicated a reversed neutral/hot. I doubted the Argosy had been mis-wired since 1972, so I decided to start testing the electricity at the outlet from my garage where the extension chord is plugged in and runs to the trailer. The outlet was ok, so I went to the other end of the extension chord, and it read hot/neutral reversed! The extension chord came with the trailer and is at least 15 years old. I never thought.
I've kept the Argosy plugged in almost full time since we brought it home in September last year, and have used this extension chord the full time. I only run a small oil space heater in the winter, and of course the Intellivolt charges the battery.
Here's the question (sorry for the long post), have I done any damage to any system - like maybe the Intellipower?

Thanks as always
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I can't really answer your question, but if everything still works, you should be OK. I always have a polarity tester plugged in, in my kitchen. I also, now, have one that I use to check the power pole at the camp grounds. Lucky for you, this could have turned out really bad.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
You won't damage anything in the Argosy with the hot and neutral reversed, you just run the risk of a hot-skin problem if you still have the polarity light AND a ground problem. The AC and the Intellipower should be fine.

Remember, polarized plugs are a fairly recent development. You could plug older equipment in either way.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote