Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #1

2006 19' International CCD
Fairfield , Iowa
Hot shell on 2006 International

My daughter and son-in-law just bought a 2006 19' International that had been repossessed. This Airstream has seen very little use but after it was plugged into a garage outlet for 3 days there was a distinct tingle when you touched the metal body. I disconnected and reconnected the 110v cord and the tingle has not come back yet. The only tester I have is a small device that tests ground on a 3 pronged outlet. The garage outlet tests Ok and so do the outlets in the RV when it is connected. Any thoughts?
I am leaving it disconnected for now.
Thanks, Hap
hapnlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Here's are a couple of website that explain how a trailer should be wired.

RV Wiring

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

It sounds to me like you have an open ground and it's possible that the neutral is grounded (it shouldn't be) also that the hot and the neutral could be reversed somewhere. Either at the house; in the ubilical cord or the receptacle on the outside of the trailer (if there is one). After reading up on how it should be and doing some checking. Come back here and let us know what you find.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote