Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Hot/Neutral Reverse

So tonight I got finished wiring up my new outlet in my 72 Safari airstream and when I plugged in my outlet tester I got Hot/Neutral Reverse on my tester. I then checked all my other plugs and they read the same. I checked the outlet in my house the airstream is plugged into and that checked out ok. I'm at a loss here. The only thing I did recently is add a inline 30 amp progressive surge protector, a battery monitor and inverter. When I switch on the surge protector none of my outlets work. Any ideas? Maybe I wired the surge protector wrong?
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Is the progressive ems giving you a code? Is it E1?
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Did you wire the hot/neutral incorrectly in the EMS? That would allow it to be “ok” to the EMS, as the problem is in the output of the EMS.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I think your surge protector is doing it's job and shutting off electricity because it's detecting a fault - basically what SHDreams is saying. Look at your EMS and there should be a fault reading. Your battery monitor and inverter are connected after or downline from your surge protector, yes? if so, then the fault is most likely in the way you installed the surge protector or from your 120v electrical source prior to that.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Or perhaps the connection to your shore power jack is reversed? If the receptacle you are plugging shore power into is OK, but the trailer is reversed it’s gotta be between the breaker panel and the shore power jack outside.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
With a volt meter, neutral to ground should be 0V. Hot to ground, ~119V. Hot to neutral also ~119V.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
So I checked my surge box wires and they are all hooked up properly, I think I might have hooked up the shore power furrion inlet plug wrong on the airstream, that's my next check, if its not that then I'm stumped. Also my surge protector has 0 faults except a PE1?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	309014   Click image for larger version

Name:	p2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	309015  

Old 04-19-2018, 05:54 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx468 View Post
So I checked my surge box wires and they are all hooked up properly, I think I might have hooked up the shore power furrion inlet plug wrong on the airstream, that's my next check, if its not that then I'm stumped. Also my surge protector has 0 faults except a PE1?
My bet is you wired your new furrion receptacle wrong. Hot wire (black) goes on the brass screw. The silver screw is always the white wire (neutral). A too common mistake.
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Update....:(

So I checked out my shore power inlet and its wired correctly, I'm still getting the hot/neutral reverse, not sure what else it could be. Currently I'm bypassing the surge protector and all outlets work but I get hot/neutral reversed, when I turn the surge protector on, all the outlets turn off. I'm connected to my house power, 30 amps stepped down to 15amps so I think that's why its turning the outlets off because of low power, correct?
Old 04-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
What about your cable? Has a connector been replaced? How are you getting from your house receptacle to the 30A RV plug?

It is turning off power because of the reversal. The protector has no way of knowing that you are connected to a 15A circuit instead of 30.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
E1 is reverse polarity. If it's displaying PE1, then its previous condition was reverse polarity. That's why it shuts off your outlets when the EMS is engaged. The EMS is seeing reverse polarity. You're looking for something miswired at the inlet to the EMS or before. There are only so many places that could be.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
[QUOTE=Al and Missy;2091252]What about your cable? Has a connector been replaced? How are you getting from your house receptacle to the 30A RV plug?
I'm using a 30 amp furrion 25 ft cord. The only other thing I recently worked on was my converter and added a battery monitor with shunt.

It is turning off power because of the reversal. The protector has no way of knowing that you are connected to a 15A circuit instead of 30.
Ok I just thought is was power related because the surge protector gave me a previous code of low power. The surge protector is giving no errors about reversed polarity.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
So I checked out my shore power inlet and its wired correctly, I'm still getting the hot/neutral reverse, not sure what else it could be. Currently I'm bypassing the surge protector and all outlets work but I get hot/neutral reversed, when I turn the surge protector on, all the outlets turn off. I'm connected to my house power, 30 amps stepped down to 15amps so I think that's why its turning the outlets off because of low power, correct?
No. The surge protector will not shut off your power in that condition unless you're using too much power for the wires, in which case it will read E4 low voltage. It's definitely the reverse polarity problem it's seeing if you're getting an E1 unless your error codes are different from mine.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Question about wiring, are the same color coding system used back in the 70's apply to now? Is green/ground, black/hot, and white/neutral?

Also when the surge protector is on and not being bypassed its making a clunking sound like its trying to turn on and off??
Old 04-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I'm connected to my house power, 30 amps stepped down to 15amps so I think that's why its turning the outlets off because of low power, correct?
No. It's happy as long as you're not pulling more than 15 amps.
Your photograph of the inside wiring looks correct. (or at least logical)
Try removing the wiring after the surge and metering the output. Is it correct? reconnect the wiring, is it still correct?
I'd get a voltmeter and start with the house outlet and measure voltage between the ground and neutral which should be 0. Don't assume anything. I once had a power strip with hot and neutral reversed. In my mind, it was just an extension. An electrician found it in minutes.
Don't overlook the adaptor if you have one for 30 amp to 15 amp. In a 15 amp outlet, the neutral is the larger spade.
Also, if an outlet has a GFI, don't assume it works, and everything downstream will follow it's polarity.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Quote:
Question about wiring, are the same color coding system used back in the 70's apply to now? Is green/ground, black/hot, and white/neutral?

Also when the surge protector is on and not being bypassed its making a clunking sound like its trying to turn on and off??
The wiring colors are standard as per the National Electrical Code. The only color that has to be identified is the white, which is always a neutral. Electricity does not care about color but installers have stayed alive by (hopefully) following the color code.
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
No. It's happy as long as you're not pulling more than 15 amps.
Your photograph of the inside wiring looks correct. (or at least logical)
Try removing the wiring after the surge and metering the output. Is it correct? reconnect the wiring, is it still correct?
I'd get a voltmeter and start with the house outlet and measure voltage between the ground and neutral which should be 0. Don't assume anything. I once had a power strip with hot and neutral reversed. In my mind, it was just an extension. An electrician found it in minutes.
Don't overlook the adaptor if you have one for 30 amp to 15 amp. In a 15 amp outlet, the neutral is the larger spade.
Also, if an outlet has a GFI, don't assume it works, and everything downstream will follow it's polarity.
Hi I tested the house outlet by using my plug-in tester and it read fine except an open ground.

I also used an extension cord from the same house outlet to inside my airstream and plugged in my electric water heater plug and the switch worked fine and illuminated when on and turned off when off. The polarity was fine.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
The best approach is with a volt meter checking voltage for hot-to-ground, and neutral-to-ground. If neutral shows voltage it’s backward. Start at the wall receptacle you are connected to. Then dog bone. Then end of Furrion cord. Then input to EMS, then output.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Hi I tested the house outlet by using my plug-in tester and it read fine except an open ground.
Hmmmm, will an open ground shut down the surge protector? It should trip the GFI's in the trailer.
Can you run an extension cord from a properly grounded outlet and see if it cures your problem?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Hmmmm, will an open ground shut down the surge protector? It should trip the GFI's in the trailer.
Can you run an extension cord from a properly grounded outlet and see if it cures your problem?
I ran a extension cord from the same house outlet to my water heater plug/switch in the airstream and it worked fine.??? the same outlet with open ground.